A question of transportation

Rob&Nancy

I have not seen this question here, so here goes!

We are driving a rental car from Orlando to Ft.Lauderdale, and will likely be dropping it off at the airport. Can anyone tell me the best way to get from the airport to the pier? I'm not sure if that's something our rental car company will do (and I plan to email them shortly), or if it's a better idea to take a taxi?

Any help is welcome, we haven't done this before, we've always flown in and used the transfer.

Thanks!

We are driving a rental car from Orlando to Ft.Lauderdale, and will likely be dropping it off at the airport. Can anyone tell me the best way to get from the airport to the pier? I'm not sure if that's something our rental car company will do (and I plan to email them shortly), or if it's a better idea to take a taxi?

Any help is welcome, we haven't done this before, we've always flown in and used the transfer.

Thanks!

What also might help is go to the North America Homeports forum, scroll to East Coast Departures, then Florida departures. They have all sorts of info on rental cars there. That might help.

Marilyn

Thanks!

The City of Ft Lauderdale now has a large shuttle bus (for all the rental car companies) that runs between the airport and the pier on a continual basis all day. No charge (Tip to driver for bag handling).

Bob & Nancy

It depends on the rental agency. Some don't. We dropped our luggage off at the pier and then returned the car and took a cab back to the cruise terminal. It was a very short ride and was about $l5 or so. Cabs were right outside the rental area. It was very easy.

Arlene

The City of Ft Lauderdale now has a large shuttle bus (for all the rental car companies) that runs between the airport and the pier on a continual basis all day. No charge (Tip to driver for bag handling).

Hi. Could you provide a link or info on how to find more info about this free shuttle? I've searched, but can't find anything that matches your description.

Thanks!

Hi. Could you provide a link or info on how to find more info about this free shuttle? I've searched, but can't find anything that matches your description.

Thanks!

All I know is it is run by the City/Airport as the rental companies have a brand new building via walkway from the airport terminals. We use it everytime we go including last month. There is a large parking gargage for the rental cars too right there. They pull up right where the taxi's/bus's are. I would call Hertz/Alamo directly at their local individual FLL airport location. They can tell you the name. I would not call their 800 numbers though as these are located in another city usually. ;)

try here.......

http://www.broward.org/airport/parking_transportation_rentals.htm

Why dont you just leave the rental car in Orlando.

Take the shuttle to Ft Lauderdale. Princess call it the Love Boat Express.

But it is really cruise connection. Ask Princess about it.

I have used it twice from Leesburg. They had a stop in Orlando.

I had a National car rental on my October cruise - dropped the car at Ft Lauderdale airport, got on the free shuttle bus (outside the car rental area), got to the pier and actually in my cabin about 30 minutes later. Best part was, the shuttle driver dropped me and my bag right at the porter. I didn't even have to touch it. it was great for a female travelling alone.

Why dont you just leave the rental car in Orlando.

Take the shuttle to Ft Lauderdale. Princess call it the Love Boat Express.

But it is really cruise connection. Ask Princess about it.

I have used it twice from Leesburg. They had a stop in Orlando.

I am curious. Did you fly into Orlando or drive? Also did you arrange the shuttle yourself or thru Princess? I ask because when I was in the planning stages of our Ruby Princess cruise, it was MUCH cheaper for me to fly into Orlando and I specifically asked the question about a shuttle from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale and was told there was not one. I was planning the flights myself, not thru Princess.

I am curious. Did you fly into Orlando or drive? Also did you arrange the shuttle yourself or thru Princess? I ask because when I was in the planning stages of our Ruby Princess cruise, it was MUCH cheaper for me to fly into Orlando and I specifically asked the question about a shuttle from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale and was told there was not one. I was planning the flights myself, not thru Princess.

I did find a section on the Princess site that mentions that there is shuttle transportation from Orlando, if you get to the "convenient pick up areas" but there's no detail further than that - other than suggesting you contact your TA or call Princess. I have sent the question over to our TA. I would like to do a little shopping in Lauderdale before we sail though, so we may end up just doing the rental car thing.

Thanks everyone!

Archived