Would you upgrade from ocean view to balcony If?

kooljamming

First three cruises, I didn't have a balcony just a port hole. 4th cruise, I had a balcony and have not done without one since. Once you get used to a particular type of cabin, it's hard to downgrade. If not having a balcony is no big deal, I'd say keep the extra trip. If you think you would miss the balcony, skip the trip.

We had an OV cabin on the Plaza deck (P344) on Dawn Princess. It was very nice and we were just a couple of doors down from the Atrium. Depending on what deck your OV cabin is located on the Sapphire, you're just steps away from the Atruim and the Promenade and it's wonderful deckchairs.

My advice... go with the OV, it ain't bad... save the money and enjoy your other vacation!

Guillermo

We are in Southern California, about 45 minutes from Palm Springs...hot, hot, hot. We are considering Rt. 1, up the coast to Monterey, Santa Cruz, stopping at Hearst Castle, maybe staying in San Jose. I haven't figured out this trip as yet.

We've spent the past four winters in Rancho Mirage-- loved it there; and did the Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Pedro year before last, and Hawaii last year.

Have you been to SF before? Monterey/Carmel/ Hearst Castle? If not, I'd be glad to give you suggestions for your drive. Reach us at mirbil at yahoo dot com.

Bill and Mireille

Wouldn't sail if I couldn't have a balcony!:D

Same here. Balcony time is one of my must haves for a cruise. If I lived closer to a port and could actually consider cruising more maybe I'd skip it sometimes. But a cruise for me is a major vacation so it's balcony or bust... :)

We've spent the past four winters in Rancho Mirage-- loved it there; and did the Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Pedro year before last, and Hawaii last year.

Have you been to SF before? Monterey/Carmel/ Hearst Castle? If not, I'd be glad to give you suggestions for your drive. Reach us at mirbil at yahoo dot com.

Bill and Mireille

This would be our first trip to SF. I heard the drive is breathtaking. Yes, I would love your help. We head to the desert to camp in the winter months. Winter as defined by 65 degrees:D. We like the hot mineral spas and pools. Otherwise we do land all inclusive in Jamaica and Mexico but considering Hawaii and Costa Rica. In the meantime we would like to incorporate road trips to see different parts of the US. We live with the 'horrible curse' of living a short distance from San Diego and San Pedro ports.:p This is our third cruise in 16 months, the other 2 with the kids.

Thanks

Started with an OV, then went to a balcony next 3 or 4 cruise. Then went to a mini-suite on the Dawn, which will really spoil you, been there ever since.

But never stretch the budget. Except maybe in Alaska.

Also you just got your fuel sir charge back

We always had OV and were quite content until that fatal day when we booked a balcony for our Tahiti cruise, we have not been able to go back to OV since- We are to scared to try an mini-suite (it could be dangerous :))

Having said all that, I agree with other posters. I would not jeopardize future vacations with the family for a balcony - not worth it. We only have the opportunity for vacations with our children a very short time. You got to treasure those moments.

We just sailed on CB in Nov with our two sons. We had a Balcony for the first time. Although it was nice I would not give up another vacation to a balcony. We just booked an unexpected cruise for May 2009. We have an obstructed view this time. An OV is better than not cruising at all. We didn't spend much time on the balcony anyway. Why be stuck in your room when there is whole ship to explore?

My wife and I made the "mistake" of booking a balcony cabin on our first (and what we thought might be our only) cruise and now we wouldn't be without one. We spend many pleasurable and quiet hours on the balcony. I've often said one of my favourite times on a cruise is sitting on the balcony at the end of the day with a glass of something cool watching the day's landfall fade into the distance.

Amen! Nothing nicer than sailing out of a Caribbean port, as night settles in and the islands light up like little Christmas trees on the ocean! I love sailing on a balcony this time of year!

Peter

This would be our first trip to SF. I heard the drive is breathtaking. Yes, I would love your help. We head to the desert to camp in the winter months. .

Thanks

If you like, write to us at the email address in my earlier post. Each year, over the past 4, we've done our little "pilgrimage" to the Bay Area. We still have friends and relatives there, although we moved to Canada in the early 60's.

If you like, write to us at the email address in my earlier post. Each year, over the past 4, we've done our little "pilgrimage" to the Bay Area. We still have friends and relatives there, although we moved to Canada in the early 60's.

Not only am I am happy and excited about staying with the OV, I can look forward to another long awaited trip. Two summers ago, we were in Niagara Falls and Toronto. Next summer we also head back to Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel.

Pauline

A few things to consider:

How many sea days on your itinerary and how much of that time will you be off the ship. If you love that leisurely breakfast on the balcony are there 2 sea days or 5 sea days? You may be rushing out on port days. Even if you will only be off the ship for a few hours on port days, the ship is usually much quieter when you are in port.

Are you an early bird with early seating? If you usually eat breakfast before 9, you will find the ship and the dining areas remarkably quiet. You can probably find a nice table by a window or just outside the dining room for breakfast with a view. Sundown may be during early seating and it is dark after dinner.

You also should take the weather into consideration. It will be chillier outside in the winter than it will be in the summer.

All this does not mean that a balcony is not great. It just means a balcony may not be a good value.

I've seen threads where people do the math to figure out how much time they will spend on the balcony (taking into consideration sea days, seating, habits, etc.) and they've figured out how much the balcony time costs them per hour of balcony time. How many hours on the balcony (as opposed to common deck areas) is worth another vacation? Only you can decide.

A few things to consider:

How many sea days on your itinerary and how much of that time will you be off the ship. If you love that leisurely breakfast on the balcony are there 2 sea days or 5 sea days? You may be rushing out on port days. Even if you will only be off the ship for a few hours on port days, the ship is usually much quieter when you are in port.

Are you an early bird with early seating? If you usually eat breakfast before 9, you will find the ship and the dining areas remarkably quiet. You can probably find a nice table by a window or just outside the dining room for breakfast with a view. Sundown may be during early seating and it is dark after dinner.

You also should take the weather into consideration. It will be chillier outside in the winter than it will be in the summer.

All this does not mean that a balcony is not great. It just means a balcony may not be a good value.

I've seen threads where people do the math to figure out how much time they will spend on the balcony (taking into consideration sea days, seating, habits, etc.) and they've figured out how much the balcony time costs them per hour of balcony time. How many hours on the balcony (as opposed to common deck areas) is worth another vacation? Only you can decide.

After much thought, No. For this trip the OV is the best choice. If (when) the kids start to fuss midway through the drive along the coast, I will know it was the right decision:D I can pray for the upgrade fairly to visit us again and also for the kids (ages 10 and 13) to be perfect angels on the trip:p. If neither happens I will still have a great time.

Pauline

We were able to cancel and re-book after final payment:D. We booked the balcony (Aloha deck, cat. BB) at a much lower rate without the fuel surcharge. With the lower rate and getting the fuel charge back, I have the balcony and my other vacations. They said that I am still up for an upgrade to the mini-suite....hey anything is possible:D. Being able to rebook after final payment was a miracle.

Archived