First Cruise...is Drinking water okay!

Pastormike

Here and there I have heard people talk about tinted water in the cabins, we are taking Serenade of the Seas to the Southern Carribean in February. Is it okay to drink the water in the cabin? Should we get water from somewhere else on board, or drink bottled water? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

My wife and I do not drink the water from the bathroom sink. We usually bring a six-pack of water onboard with us, we will take them with us when we leave the ship at every port. I will refill them at the Windjammer. We do drink the water from any of the restaurants. Hope this helps!

The tap water is perfectly fine. They use a purification system similar to that of many bottled waters and the tap water is as pure as most bottled waters. It does taste a bit better to let the water run for 10-15 seconds before drinking it or filling up your glass. Also, sometimes the tap water does not get real cold, but you can request ice from your room steward if he does not automatically provide it for you or grab some yourself at the Windjammer.

Have a great cruise.

We have never had the misfortune to have discolored water in our bathrooms onboard any of the ships we have sailed on over the past twenty eight years. If we did we would have avoided drinking it. However, unless you experience that situation, you can very safely drink the water from your bathroom faucet or any of the water you will find elsewhere on the ship. IMHO there is no need to bring water onboard with you or purchase ridiculously expensive bottled water on the ship.:)

The tap water is perfectly fine. They use a purification system similar to that of many bottled waters and the tap water is as pure as most bottled waters. It does taste a bit better to let the water run for 10-15 seconds before drinking it or filling up your glass. Also, sometimes the tap water does not get real cold, but you can request ice from your room steward if he does not automatically provide it for you or grab some yourself at the Windjammer.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for info on tap water on-board...we've developed a phobia about drinking any tap water, mostly due to excessive chlorine flavor in some local towns or the annual notice from our town water department warning us not to drink it (even after boiling), then listing some of the unsavory ingredients just to make sure they got the point across.

Thanks for info on tap water on-board...we've developed a phobia about drinking any tap water, mostly due to excessive chlorine flavor in some local towns or the annual notice from our town water department warning us not to drink it (even after boiling), then listing some of the unsavory ingredients just to make sure they got the point across.

Your position is understandable, but if you opt for bottled water, please be sure to check the label and make sure of the source of the water. In many instances its source is a municipal water source (basically the same water that comes out of the tap in that community).:rolleyes:

I will spend hundreds of dollars onboard the ship, but I refuse to pay $3.95 for a small bottle of water.:rolleyes: So we bring on a few bottles, since we like to have them in the gym. Once the bottles are empty, we refill them from the water fountains (which are usually chilled) or the bathroom tap and then put them in the fridge, which as least cools them a bit. We also wait until we're on shore in the ports to buy a touring bottle, since it usually costs about $1.

Some people have reported that they are very sensitive to sodium that remains in the water even after the filtration and that they bloat if they drink too much of the ship's water. I don't know if the water has a higher sodium content that what you get on shore, and I can't blame my cruise bloating on it.:o

Thanks for all the help.....I will check to make sure that my faucet has "booze" instead of tap water:D! Sounds like it will be fine.....we are near the front of the ship and the Windjammer looks like it is all the way aft. It could make for a long walk for water....I am still concerned about getting my much needed morning coffee...I guess room service is my best bet (unless I get that special tap :).

My wife and I do not drink the water from the bathroom sink. We usually bring a six-pack of water onboard with us, we will take them with us when we leave the ship at every port. I will refill them at the Windjammer. We do drink the water from any of the restaurants. Hope this helps!

Hate to break it to you, but the restaurant water comes from a tap too.

Hate to break it to you, but the restaurant water comes from a tap too.

the ships use water purified by both reverse osmosis and distillation. The RO-purified water could have residual sodium (to me, the bathroom tap water seems to). If the restaurants use water purified by distillation, it will have no residual sodium and so might, in fact, taste a little different.

We generally use bottled water on the ship and just consider the cost as part of our vacation budget.

to each his/her own!

Ale class sounds good, but the double upgrade to IPA class is what I'm hoping for *hic* ;)

Eh...IPAs are too hoppy for me. I prefer a rich stout. Then again, I'm a homebrewer, so I take my beer seriously...

Is it just me, or is this post taking a different turn? Now being a Lutheran Pastor, with the rich German heritage, it would seem this is a positive turn!:)

Lutheran PK (ELCA) on my end, PastorMike...and you? Where from?

PastorMike, I'd rather not share all the details on here...He's done time in Oklahoma and Texas...

I understand, particularly like the phrase "done time"! I am sure it is not easy being a PK....I have 3....me, I have only done time in NC and GA

Archived