Is Ocho Rios as bad as I've heard?

coveman

We personally loved Jamaica, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. I'd like to go and stay for a week. We went all over in a cab and got to experience the "real Jamaica." We went to a part of town where the CD specifically said not to go. We found buisness people, school children and wonderful, kind people. We weren't hassled at all in that part of town. When we went to the recommended stores we were harassed and intimidated. A word of caution. DON'T get into the cab until you have negotiated a price...even if it is pouring outside. Learned that lesson the hard way. Learned the same lesson in New Orleans the hard way...it's everywhere.

We had a great time there last jan., did an excursion to Dunns River falls, and when we got back walked down alittle ways from the the ship and went to Margaritaville, had a great time there, the entertainment was great, although, I would be careful where you go, while we were at margaritaville there were all kinds of locals trying to sell you something, but they were only aloud at the waters edge and there was security there to make sure that they didn't go any further, also where Margaritaville is, there are gift shops, and a short walk to the ship.

Hearing bad things about Ocho Rios, robbery, harrasement from locals, stay off side streets, etc. Is it that bad? Thinking about staying on ship fot this port.

I think if you stay on the ship you'll be missing one of the richest experiences of your voyage. Sure, it's not Disney World and the same precautions one might take when in a major US city they are not familiar with are a good idea. I would indeed stay off the side streets, politely say "no thanks" and keep walking to the locals that might offer to sell you something and in general keep your eyes open. But there are a lot of areas, like the shopping area by Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, that are IMHO completely safe.

I think if you've not been there before the best bet is to hire a cab for the day to take you on a tour of this fabulous island, one of our favorites. That's what we did the first and second time and really enjoyed it. You'll find recommendations for specific operators here and the ones you see mentioned a lot have been around a long time and have a lot of happy customers.

To miss a drive through the rain forrest would be a shame. Missing Dunns River Falls? Maybe a shame, maybe not; that does take some physical activity if you're going to do more than view the falls which may or may not be worth it to you. We're from the midwest USA and have done land vacations in Colorado and Wyoming where they have waterfalls that make Dunns River look like a trickle so it wasn't that big of a deal for us. Others have reported the Falls as the highlight of their cruise.

In any event, one thing I always notice is the warmth of the Jamaican people and rich culture you can see from a taxi.

Far from being scared about this place we feel "at home" whenever we call there. I think you'll like it there too.

We went to Dunns River Falls on the ship's tour and would not do it again. We weren't into climbing the falls but did want to see the falls and watch those that climbed it. We had no trouble around the falls it was leaving where we, DH and myself, felt very uncomfortable. You had to exit through the vendor area and they would come right up in your face wanting you to buy something. Even if you said "no thanks" or just ignored them they would follow you, grab at you and get right back in your face. We were not the only ones on the tour that felt that way. Next time, if there is one, we'll stay on the ship.

Oh I forgot all about that maze they make you go through after Dunns River Falls. I knew there was something else I did not like about that place and that was it.

That was very uncomfortable and yet another reason to hook up with a good driver for a private tour

It has been 6 years since I was there and it was very bad back then.

Our tablemates took a taxi and the taxi driver took them about 30 miles out, took their wallets and watches and left them to find their own way back. Thankfully they did. After my tour, I ventured out to look for a newspaper - I had 2 guys who would not stop following me and kept pushing drugs. I was scared - they wouldn't leave me alone. There were a lot of drug problems when we were there. I personally wasn't impressed with my highlights tour - the locals are very pushy. I knew of several on our ship who broke limbs when climbing Dunn's River falls - one person let go and the domino affect occurred. It may be fun but it looked very unsafe to me.

I have not gone back to this port since 1998 but I was so unimpressed with the locals that I probably won't get off the ship. The island is beautiful but everything else disappointed/scared me. I had heard that it was these types of complaints is why Princess stopped going there for a number of years on their Western Caribbean itineraries. It looks like Princess added them again - hopefully Ocho Rios is better now.

I, DH and two young sons (8 and 6) docked at Ocho Rios in April. We hired Phil Lafayette who took us around the island for the day. We really enjoyed Dunns River Falls, White River Tubing, Fern Gully, etc. All of us had a great time and no one bothered us (we did not do any shopping near the pier so there was no opportunity for anyone to approach us). When we were approached at the Falls, I simple polite "No, but Thank You" did the trick.

We were there about 5 years ago and now I would not step foot off the ship without a ship's tour. We thought we'd just walk into town and we were surrounded and hounded by taxi drivers. I had two young (9 and 12) kids in tow and it was an uncomforatable and somewhat frightening experience. Some even followed us as we walked to town. Nothing bad happened, but it was not a pleasant experience and the town was surely not worth the hassle. So if we ever go again, it's a ship tour or "day at sea" for us.

We took the ship sponsored river tubing tour and had a BLAST!! The guide in our van and along the river were hysterical. My kids adored them. The river tubing was fun, relaxing and the scenery beautiful. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Afterwards we went to maragaritaville, but there would have been time to go to Dunn's River Falls if you're so inclined. It was one of favorite days of vacation.

We're going back for the second time. We went about 2 years ago and used Peat Taylor for Dunns River Falls. We really enjoyed it. As far as the annoying vendors, he kept them away from us during the exit from the falls. Then before going back to the ship he drove through some beautiful areas (Fern Gully) and he even stopped in town for us to get water bottles and we got to see some local groceries, etc. No one bothered us in this area... it was very non-touristy and had places that neighborhood people frequented. Peat will also bring you to the River Tubing if you like.

I think if you find the right tour operator, you will get to experience the town in the way that you choose and without fear. Read the ports of call board for Jamaica and see what many others are saying about what to do in Ocho Rios. If nothing else, it'll be fun to think about!

I was there in 1990 and was so disappointed by the harrassment that I never wanted to return. However, we were on the Caribbean Princess in September, when it went west instead of east, purportedly due to Hurricane Jeanne. This time, we just went to the shopping area where Margaritaville is located, and we had a lovely day. We shopped (everyone was very pleasant) and then wasted away a bit... LOL. It was a fun day. We didn't go on the beach there, but it was nice to know it was there if we'd wanted to.

We personally loved Jamaica, Ocho Rios . We also went to a part of town where the CD specifically said not to go. We had been told to go in a group by others who had gone before us. We met up with several couples on the ship. We had a blast. That was in '94. We went once with our DD#3, our #1DD & SIL, and another young couple thier age. The CD managed to scare them in to doing the ship tour so I went along with their wishes. After words they felt it was the worst thing on the cruise. We than gat a cab and did the falls independetly and had a wounderful time. We all agree the maze they have added at the end was very uncomfortable.

We're going back for the second time. We went about 2 years ago and used Peat Taylor for Dunns River Falls.

How do you contact him. This sounds good for the DH and I.

I LOVED the Dunn's River Falls Excursion (even if I did twist my ankle on the way up... flip flops at formal!), and had no one approach me on the way back down. Went to Margaritaville--BLAST--did a bit of shopping in that shopping center. DH enjoyed golfing at Sandals.

Had friends harrassed by drug dealers, but they went off. I walked straight from port to Island Village, and felt fine about that.

It was the one port I deliberately booked excursions for because of the rumors. I'm glad I did. I'd do the same one again!

Kristin

10/24/04 Star

We did the 4-wheel Jeep tour through the ship and had a blast. We were never harrassed and didn't see the beggars or drug dealers. Unfortunately, that's pretty common on many Caribbean islands, not just Jamaica. We saw the river tubing and that looked like it was great.

I'm always surprised by people who go to foreign countries and then expect it to be like home. IMO that's the difference between travelers and tourists. Yes Jamacia is one place you need to do your homework and be careful, but to stay on the ship and miss these friendly people and a beautiful island is just silly. We knew to be leary of cabs so we booked a shore excursion through Princess and felt safe the whole day. We loved climbing the falls and when leaving just told the vendors no with a smile and kept walking. We loved going to the plantation. The guide took us to a nice shopping area and we were never hassled by anyone. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

We went to Ocho Rios last year and used Peat Taylor and loved it. Peat keeps the riff raff away from his guests. He will take you to Dunn's Falls and the admission price is included in his fee. He also took us around the island etc.

Tip: When coming out of Dunns Falls, stay to the LEFT and you will avoid the vendors.

Jamaica is a very beautiful island, but you need to go on an arranged tour. Contact Belinda at a-z planners and ask for Oscar to show you around. He is absolutely wonderful. We have been there on a cruise, but we also stayed at a Sandals resort in Jamaica. I booked Oscar once for a day excusion to Port Antonio and booked him for 1/2 day to Dunn's River falls, Margaritaville, tour of Ocho Rios, etc. You can't go wrong with him and he will make you want to come back to Jamaica. I know a-z planners has a website.

About 6 or 7 years ago, we were in Ocho Rios with the Sun Princess. It rained and our excursion for Dunns River Falls was cancelled. When it cleared up, we walked into town and were very harrassed and intimidated by vendors. We felt so uncomfortable that we immediately went back to the ship. This May, on the Caribbean Princess, we docked in Montego Bay instead and took the Jungle River Tubing excursion through Princess. We had a wonderful day and came back with an entirely different view of Jamaica. Everyone affiliated with this tour was polite and friendly and fun. I understand that the same company has a similar tour in Ocho Rios. I would heartily recommend this safe, laid-back and very fun excursion. If you would like to look it up on the internet, it is under http://www.chukkacove. com and http://www.chukkablue.com.

Archived