earliest time for flight?

Just wanted opinions on what is the safest earliest time I should book a flight Sunday coming off the Westerdam in FLL at 7am, have time to get to Miami airport and check in for a flight back to Canada.

I'm trying to book a flight with frequent flyer miles and it seems they don't have alot of late day flights. Is 12pm cutting it too close.

You'll be reasonably safe booking a flight that is scheduled to leave after 12:00 Noon.

Anything earlier could be problematic if there are any hitches such as a delayed arrival into port, difficulties with the ship clearing customs, etc. and if you have difficulty with transport to the airport.

We've always been checked in and ready to go by 10:00am and sit around bored waiting for the flight, but I'm always worried that if we counted on the same experience and book an 11:00am flight, we'll arrive at the airport too late to board. 12:00 noon is safe.

Depending on where your destination is or your schedule requirements, you may want to consider staying overnight and spend some sightseeing time in the Fort Lauderdale area. Then you can fly out anytime the next day as you see fit.

thanks,

I have no idea right now how to get to Miami airport. If we are crunched for time, probably a taxi.

Any suggestions?

Usually we take the monday but my husbands work will not allow it this time. Also there doesn't seem to be any award travel tickets with our miles for later flight than 12:20pm from miami.

We had a 12:45 flight out of Miami Thanksgiving weekend and I also was very nervous about the time. We requested to be the first grroup off the ship, grabbed a taxi (I think it was about $75.00)We were at the airport and checked in by 9:00. Not a problem at all. Don't worry, it will be fine!

Check with HAL - they almost always offer bus service to Miami airport from the Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal -- a bit pricy for a bus ride, but cheaper than taxi. Most important, if you are booked with HAL for airport tranfer, they will insure you get priority debarkation.

A noon international flight from Miami requires a two hour check-in; guaranteeing a 10:00 AM airport arrival means guaranteeing you get off the ship no later than 9:00 AM. The HAL airport transfer should be best way to be comfortable with a noon flight.

along these same lines....what do you guys think of a 10:30 am departure from FLL after getting off the Westerdam? I know its cutting it close but the other options aren't great.

I'm thinking its one of those things that would 'probably' be fine (if i remember correctly its only apx 20 minutes from the pier to the airport) as long as we don't run into some kind of snag.

Archived