Trying to decide on a cruise!

ilmsg

I'm having such a hard time deciding on a cruise! We are held to a certain week to try and take this cruise due to airline miles (free tickets) and that is the week of 1/19, so these are our options right now. They are all fantasy class ships, but I have not cruised carnival before so does anyone feel that there is a better ship of the bunch or a better itenerery:

1) Fantasy - 5 night to cozumel & progreso, mexico (leaving out of new orleans)

2) Imagination - 4 night to key west & cozumel, mexico (leaving out of miami)

3) Paradise - 4 night to catalina island, CA & Ensenada, Mexico (leaving out of Los Angeles, CA)

4) Elation - 5 night to Cabo San Lucas & Ensenada Mexico (leaving out of San Diego, CA)

If I had Free Airline tickets, I would choose the Five Day out of San Diego.

First, I have never been to the west coast, so it is something brand new for me.

Secondly, it is five days instead of four!

BUT>> only the Imagination and Fantasy have had the Revolutions of Fun Upgrade, so if you are looking for a more updated ship, choose one of those.

... .and one question....

Why four or five days?

You may be able to get a bargain on a 7 day cruise that week in January!!

Catrin

I was on Elation two years ago when it was sailing a Caribbean route. It's a lovely ship and we had a great time. When it first moved to the west coast there were some negative reports. Haven't heard of any problems recently.

I believe that Fantasy and Imagination have been refurbished recently so they have the "WaterWorks", "Serenity Adult-only Retreat" and a bunch of other improvements.

Personally I'd take a longer cruise, even if it's only 1 night longer.

... .and one question....

Why four or five days?

You may be able to get a bargain on a 7 day cruise that week in January!!

Catrin

I agree!!! 4 or 5 days just aren't long enough for a winter cruise!!! How about the Southern out of PR???

I was on the Paradise June '07; Loved the ship, loved Catalina, absolutely UNIMPRESSED with Ensenada. I may do Catalina again, but will stay on the ship for Ensenada. JMO

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, with the airline miles, the flight must come back Saturday or Sunday which only fits with the shorter cruises, so those are our options.

I'm just looking for a nice, clean ship and some good ports of call.

I haven't been on any of the ships, came close once when the Elation was in Galveston....

I vote that one just because I have never been to Cabo and have always wanted to go. I guess it depends which ports you want to visit.

Good luck with your decision :)

TAKE the 5-night, pick which ship you want but go for the 5-nights rather than 4. :)

I'm having such a hard time deciding on a cruise! We are held to a certain week to try and take this cruise due to airline miles (free tickets) and that is the week of 1/19, so these are our options right now. They are all fantasy class ships, but I have not cruised carnival before so does anyone feel that there is a better ship of the bunch or a better itenerery:

3) Paradise - 4 night to catalina island, CA & Ensenada, Mexico (leaving out of Los Angeles, CA)

4) Elation - 5 night to Cabo San Lucas & Ensenada Mexico (leaving out of San Diego, CA)

For me it would have to be either number 1 or 2, since they have the WATER WORKS on the ship, I would LOVE to experience that!!!:D

Imagination (but I am biased, one of my favorite ships); with a night stay in South Beach! there is a boat tour that takes you through all the canals in the fancy South Beach neighborhood; like a rich & famous tour; very nice & relaxing; remainder of afternoon on the beach; then a night partying in one of the many SoBe nightclubs; and on the cruise the next day.

I prefer Caribbean and would take a 5 night over a 4 night anytime ...just my .02

That is my thoughts too. I'm going on the 19th on the Fascination 5 night out of Jacksonville. Is that one sold out or can't you get free air?

I liked the Elation out of CA too.

That is my thoughts too. I'm going on the 19th on the Fascination 5 night out of Jacksonville. Is that one sold out or can't you get free air?

I liked the Elation out of CA too.

I don't remember seeing that one when I searched. What are the ports?

As of now I think we're thinking about the Fantasy.

I haven't been on a Fantasy class ship, but I've been to the Mexican Riviera (Cabo) and also the Caribbean (Cozumel). Here's my take on it:

5 nights FOR SURE! So that narrows it down to Fantasy (Cabo) or Elation (Cozumel).

I like both Mex. Riv. (in fact, my next cruise is Mexican Riviera on the Spirit out of San Diego) and the Caribbean. However, I would give the edge to the Caribbean ports for warmer water, better snorkeling, nicer beaches, and gorgeous turquoise water.

We cruised to Cabo at the end of March, and the water was COLD!! The first sea day out of Long Beach was very chilly also.....we had to buy sweatshirts on the ship. We snorkeled in Cabo and it was "take-your-breath-away-freezing" in the water, plus there weren't many fish to see. After snorkeling, we went to Pueblo Bonito Blanco resort to hang out with friends that were staying there for a week. The beach was very steep going into the water and the surf was very rough......not great for swimming. The weather was nice a warm, though.

We cruised to Cozumel also at the end of March, and spent the day at Paradise Beach. That has been our favorite port day to date, out of the 3 cruises we've been on. Warm water, fun beach, clean bathrooms and a restaurant....they wait on you while you lounge on the beach. We had some scattered clouds that day, but it was still quite warm. Beautiful beach day!

So, I would choose Elation and go to the Caribbean if I were you. Good luck! :)

Choice 2, the Imagination is the same itinerary we did on the Fascination in January a few years ago, prior to the updates to the ships. We had a good time with good weather. Keep in mind, the stop at Key West is short, and you might have to take the tram from the Navy Pier. It was jacket weather, and we arrived early, so many shops weren't open at first. Cozumel was hot, we ferried to the mainland for the Tulum tour. We would like to do it again, and stay on Cozumel next time, and enjoy the updates to the ship. We like the Fantasy class, easy to get around, and good sized cabins. Since you have the luxury of free air, take the longest cruise at the cheapest rate you can find! Have fun.

we just did Imagination last week to Key West & Cozumel. This ship is fantastic and clean. Water was FRIGID in SOBE as well as Key West, but it was a little warmer in Cozumel, but not warm. The weateher was nice all over, just cold water. We also did Paradise Beach in Cozumel which made the trip...it was SOOO much fun. We're not big drinkers or partiers, so we didn't choose this itinerary for all that, but it is a great cruise...just wish it was 1 day longer.

Going out of CA in January? SO not a good thing if you like to be warm. The temps don't really start to get warm enough to be out in a swimsuit until south of Cabo, which neither of your CA choices do. My DH will never do another western Mexico cruise because it was too chilly to late out and get a tan.

Archived