Complainers

Hilary

I love the image of you sitting there...industriously doing your napkin "homework," much to the dismay of the stuffy dowager. I say...to hell with Western Civ! We need more artfully arranged napkins...:D

as far as these toxic people with a perpetual stick stuck up their you-know-what...well...happiness is a choice...an attitude...a way of looking at the world.

As John Milton said:

The mind is its own place, and in itself can

make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven.

sunpsyche and Chick's pal: Thanks!

Actually, I would have loved to see her another day, on the same cruise around lunchtime, when the usual crush of waiters came out as the shift changed. My waiter from a previous cruise spied a companion and I on the aft deck behind the Winter Garden, strolled over, dropped into a empty chair at our table and beckoned to one of the other waiters, saying he wanted a beer. I simply laughed, and told him I'd gladly buy him a beer. He of course declined, then got up, cleared our trays for us, and wished us a good day. That poor lady probably would have reported him, tossed me over the rail into the wake, and spent the next 4 days recovering from the shock that the help would actually consort with the guests....:D

I actually enjoy it when the staff shares a bit of themselves with us. It maybe makes me enjoy the cruise more when I can better appreciate the effort that goes into making a cruise special for us. On more than a few occasions, I've spent several minutes with one of the crew as they explained some aspect of their life onboard, told me a quick story, or even kvetched a bit about some recent occurrence. Of course, I also have told my waiter that just once I'd like to hear him respond with something like "Did I have any choice, sir?" or something similar in response to my "Thank you", as that "My pleasure, sir" gets a bit old ;) And yes, I really do appreciate gracious dining, I just like to kid now and then too....

Dave

This is a great thread! My husband says some people would complain if you hung them with a GOLD ROPE. Just about every cruise, there's a few pax that just complain about EVERYTHING. A guy on our last cruise just came from the omelet station in the cafe complaining loudly that the cook "broke" his omelet. What the hell????:confused:

:D I love this thread! I'm new to this board, you guys are alot of fun. Some days I just check in to see if Big House Cop and Mcnichol ( or something like that) are at it again. Honestly, I have 2 sons...one is Happy, the other Grumpy.

Some people just love to **tch!!!

I need a clock! Infinity Alaska 6-9-05

My husband and I are still laughing about a couple we encountered on the Connie transatlantic in September. The weather on the crossing was as close to perfect as it could have been. It was just beautiful. On an at-sea day that the water was so calm that it was nearly like an ice rink, I heard a couple complaining to one another about how rough the seas were. They were so upset about it, they were complaining that they couldn't go outside because the weather was so awful. They supposed that they would have to spend another day in one of the lounges, because it was just so terrible outside. Their entire cruise had been ruined by the "dreadful weather" that we had been having for the entire two weeks! I hope they found something that they enjoyed.

...Any review that is a rant about how bad the cruise was, in every aspect, doesn't deserve my time to read...nor do I give much of a look to a review that proclaims EVERYTHING was perfect.
Just curious Danno, how do you know if the review is bad/good until you actually read it?

Usha, I guess some people eat their omletts whole.

love these stories ... reminds of the time I was working for an airline and an elderly woman complained that she didn't get a NICE FLUFFY OMELETTE! Of course I wanted to say - look lady this is airline food we are are serving - but all I could do was say how sorry I was! At least she didn't get a 'broken one' like the previous poster's cranky person did!!

We've been on 8 cruises and I found more complainers on our one Celebrity cruise than on the other 7. I actually had to leave the buffet dining area twice during our Summit cruise. I cannot stand to witness the staff being treated poorly or listen to people whining.

We are cruising the Mercury in January and hope that's not true this time.

It just makes you wonder how people were brought up . I was always told just to keep my mouth shut if I didn't like something. I still would have to look around for my parents to straighten me out and I am 57 now. Yes , people just need to keep it to their self.

What I hate is the ones that have no concern for others and break in lines. It happens the entire cruise. I have found that they come from the same part of the country. If the shoe fits wear it! We can all learn to respect others a little more. Hank

It just makes you wonder how people were brought up . I was always told just to keep my mouth shut if I didn't like something. I still would have to look around for my parents to straighten me out and I am 57 now. Yes , people just need to keep it to their self.

What I hate is the ones that have no concern for others and break in lines. It happens the entire cruise. I have found that they come from the same part of the country. If the shoe fits wear it! We can all learn to respect others a little more. Hank

Paragraph one says don't complain, in para 2 you complain... Like most people who know good from bad whether it's conduct, quality or performance.

I believe that when you spend your money for a product and it falls short of the advertising, you have a right to comment ie complain.. There is a difference between pointing out shortcomings and "whining"

If you cruise once.. life might be rosy. As soon as you cruise again and again you have established the criteria or standards for comparison. You can have a lemon of a cruise just like a lemon of a car. Same make and model might be perfect for some but defective for others.

I would not usually use such a term but in this case, it seems to apply.

Linda and I were on the Mercury which boarded in Fort Lauderdale. I

happened to be in the area of the passenger desk and heard a

complainer start in. Nothing unusual so far. He got a little louder and

began to whine that he booked an ocean view stateroom and he

wanted his ocean view. When he was bi------ and groaning, we were

still tied up to the pier in Fort Lauderdale. I heard it all and still had a

hard time believing it. No one could be that stupid was what I used

to think. Every once in a while, we hear from the lunatic fringe.

Fair Winds & Groovy Seas

Dave & Linda Hansen

Ok - I've read this thread and a million others about complaints. I've searched my 5 cruise history - and have finally settled upon a complaint.

No - I didn't come to complain about chair hogs, diapers in the pool (though that is gross), my meat was not over/under cooked, my table mates have always been tolerable (thankfully since they ARE all relatives), the staff has never offended me in the least...

I do remember one minor infractiont that I swear almost ruined my last cruise!!

After dinner one night, I went back to my cabin to find the beds turned down - the little chocolates on the pillow -

Imagine my horror when I saw that the chocolate on my pillow was not only upside down - but it was .00000000000023 of an inch off center!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have marched right up to the desk and demanded MY free cruise.

Now - I feel all better having gotten that off my chest.

hello..I'm usually on the HAL board but since we are looking at an X cruise .....

anyway, today at work ( I'm in quality assurance at a hospital) one of the patient's complained because "I don't see why I can't get one of the pretty yellow IV bags..mine is ugly and clear". (the yellow bags of IV fluid..better known as banana bags are full of the vitamins that those alcoholics need to prevent brain damage) yeah right complain. there's one who would complain about the sky being too blue, the night stars too many...etc

A friend of mine was travelling back from LA to Heathrow. He boarded the plane and got to his seat when a large lady came and started a scene over the fact that he was sitting in HER seat. The plane was full and no other seats available. The stewardess came over and said obviously there had been some sort of a mix up and she would sort something out. This woman continued to shout and carry on that it was HER seat, so much so that the stewardess asked my friend if he would mind letting the lady have the seat and, my friend stood up and let her sit down. The stewardess was trying to calm things down with this woman, but was getting nowhere. She asked my friend if he would hang on a while and she'd be back in a moment. When she came back, she asked him if he would follow her as they were moving him into first class. This woman asked why she hadn't been put into first class. 'Because you insisted that THIS was your seat madam' turning with a smile on her face, to the applause of the rest of the passengers.

On our Galaxy cruise this past Oct.as we were getting off in Charleston for the day one lady waiting to get off was complaining she needed to find a grocery store. Reason, she felt there was not enough food choices onboard and sure enough we saw her getting back on the ship with bags from the grocery store.

Pam

I actually enjoy it when the staff shares a bit of themselves with us. It maybe makes me enjoy the cruise more when I can better appreciate the effort that goes into making a cruise special for us. On more than a few occasions, I've spent several minutes with one of the crew as they explained some aspect of their life onboard, told me a quick story, or even kvetched a bit about some recent occurrence.

Dave

I totally agree. When i cruised HAL, there was a waiter and a bartender/servier who were awesome. I loved talking to them! They provided excellent service, and also provided lots of entertainment! I enjoyed them more than anyone else i met on the cruise!!

My classic complainer story comes from something that happened a number of years ago when I was working in a military hospital. One night I was helping out the clerk at the information desk when a lady called to ask about getting an appointment to get her birth control pill prescription renewed. Back in those days we kept two different appointment logs. One for the dependents of active duty military (they got priority) and one for dependents of retired military. As we often do in the military I shortened my question to her..... "Is your husband active or retired?" Her response....."If he wasn't active I wouldn't need the pills!"

Archived