Walking to Cruise Port - Fort Lauderdale

Packman1000

Can you walk to the Princess cruise port in Fort Lauderdale? We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 and would have to walk across the 17th street bridge. I know it's only a mile or so in distance, but I'm not sure if there are sidewalks and if it is easy to do. Also, I think the Princess boarding building is the first one after you go through the port gate - right?

We've been involved in the "cattle call's" of getting taxi's, or other types of shuttles from the hotels in the area. We would like to avoid the unpleasantness of all of that, but we also like to get on the ship early. Recommendations?

Can you walk to the Princess cruise port in Fort Lauderdale? We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 and would have to walk across the 17th street bridge. I know it's only a mile or so in distance, but I'm not sure if there are sidewalks and if it is easy to do. Also, I think the Princess boarding building is the first one after you go through the port gate - right?

We've been involved in the "cattle call's" of getting taxi's, or other types of shuttles from the hotels in the area. We would like to avoid the unpleasantness of all of that, but we also like to get on the ship early. Recommendations?

Yes, you can walk in, but not every Princess ship leaves from that pier. A taxi is still your best bet, just leave earlier than the mob.

It's not a good idea to walk through the port. It's a major container port with lots of truck traffic. In addition, Princess ships dock at different piers - not just the closest one to the entrance.

The OP is talking about walking in the 17th St. entrance. No container stuff over there. We have walked in from the Renaissance; closest hotel to that entrance.

It might appear close as the crow fly's on a map but you'll have to enter using the main gate so the actual distance will be much greater. Also- there are no side walks that I can remember.

I've also never seen any crew member walking to any stores since it's really to far to walk. They run a shuttle from the Princess ships for crew members that go to Kmart, Walmart, CVS & such & charge them $25 round trip! Needless to say that there weren't to many guys using it.

Absolutley, we just did this from the Renasaiance last month. :D

There are sidewalks all the way in, just show your ID/passport at the security gate.

It might appear close as the crow fly's on a map but you'll have to enter using the main gate so the actual distance will be much greater. Also- there are no side walks that I can remember.

I've also never seen any crew member walking to any stores since it's really to far to walk. They run a shuttle from the Princess ships for crew members that go to Kmart, Walmart, CVS & such & charge them $25 round trip! Needless to say that there weren't to many guys using it.

There's a Walgreens right on the corner where you turn to walk/drive into the port and/or convention center. Lots of ship's crew walk over to 17th St. to do their shopping at the drug store or at Publix.

There's a Walgreens right on the corner where you turn to walk/drive into the port and/or convention center. Lots of ship's crew walk over to 17th St. to do their shopping at the drug store or at Publix.

I suppose that's why there weren't many crew members opting for the $25 ride. It's still quite a hike rolling luggage.

We are also staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 and were thinking the same way as you. I see that the day we sail Jan. 11th - there will be 7 ships in port. Last time we were stuck in a very long line of traffic - we felt we could have walked in faster.

I'm the OP. Looks like some are for and some against - thanks for the responses. Any others wanting to chime in? We pack quite lightly - one rolling bag for each, so pulling a couple of bags a mile is not a big deal. We've gone further at O'Hare. Obviously, we wouldn't do this if the weather was poor.

Another question along the same lines. Can you just take your luggage onboard with you without having to check it with those 'very careful' longshoreman? Or are there size restrictions on the X-ray machines?

We are also staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 and were thinking the same way as you. I see that the day we sail Jan. 11th - there will be 7 ships in port. Last time we were stuck in a very long line of traffic - we felt we could have walked in faster.

As stated as long as your ship is in that first berth it would work. :)

I'm the OP. Looks like some are for and some against - thanks for the responses. Any others wanting to chime in? We pack quite lightly - one rolling bag for each, so pulling a couple of bags a mile is not a big deal. We've gone further at O'Hare. Obviously, we wouldn't do this if the weather was poor.

Another question along the same lines. Can you just take your luggage onboard with you without having to check it with those 'very careful' longshoreman? Or are there size restrictions on the X-ray machines?

If your bag goes through the xray you can take it aboard. However, highly unlikely it will, because those things usually won't fit a suitcase over 25".

We walked from the Renasiance Hotel to the ship. The ship was in the first dock area, so it was easy for us. We are 4 people and each had our own small rolling suitcase and it was not a problem one bit! We walked past all of the taxis that were just sitting there waiting to get in to the terminal.

If you are able to walk, have an easy rolling suitcase that you can manouver, then I say go for it!

Christapie

I would just pay the $10 or $12 bucks to get a taxi. It's so much easier.

I will say though, we couldn't get a taxi once in Vancouver upon disembarking -- it was Canada Day and very hard to get a taxi for some reason, so we did walk about a mile with luggage to the Westin toting

our 25-inch with carry-on size too. It was okay, though, as long as

you are used to walking.

If you are at pier 1 or 2, where most of the Grand Class ships dock it is walkable - if you are as far out as pier 20 your walk from the port entrance would not be advisable. When we sailed on the Sea a couple of years ago we were at pier 21 - a looooong ways from the port entrance.

Ron

We always try carry our own luggage aboard ourselves (23 " suit cases - 1 for me , 1 for wife) until this past Oct. when a over zealous security girl denied us boarding with them. After a long conversation with her trying to understand the max size allowed for our next cruise (she finally agreed to let 19" cases go) but still declined to allow ours, we checked our bags.

On our recent cruise Dec 10, the same girl was there, although busy with other things, we had no problem passing through with our 23 " bags. It all depends on who you get in charge on a particular day, so be prepared to check them with tags if she spots you. All the other security personal I talked to said they wouldn't have a problem with that size.

We always try carry our own luggage aboard ourselves (23 " suit cases - 1 for me , 1 for wife) until this past Oct. when a over zealous security girl denied us boarding with them. After a long conversation with her trying to understand the max size allowed for our next cruise (she finally agreed to let 19" cases go) but still declined to allow ours, we checked our bags.

On our recent cruise Dec 10, the same girl was there, although busy with other things, we had no problem passing through with our 23 " bags. It all depends on who you get in charge on a particular day, so be prepared to check them with tags if she spots you. All the other security personal I talked to said they wouldn't have a problem with that size.

Wow, maybe she learned her lesson the first few times. :)

Archived