All seats reserved for friends and family.SEATING ON P&O

kenshaz

:mad:I would welcome thoughts and opinions on cruisers who reserve seats in the theatre,pool-side and in fact all seating on P&O cruises .

How should others respond to this anti-social behaviour ?

What ACTION SHOULD THEY TAKE ?

What is the policy of P& 0? and will they support.

Yes, I know what you mean, who wants confontation on holiday. I absolutley think it is for the cruise line to sort out and police. It is one of the biggest negatives you will read in any review (especially on Ventura), so they need to address it.

kenshaz, it is only human nature to want to sit with your family and friends, I mean, would you yourself want to sit with your family and friends if you were cruising together? On the face of it, it is rather selfish behaviour but understandable. You could always bring an instance to the attention of a member of staff but whether they would 'force' the savers to give up a couple of seats is debatable. I personally don't like it when people 'save' seats in the buffet so as to be sure of sitting down once they have their food but people do it all the time in shopping centres for example, even though there are signs asking them not to, they do it anyway. I find people who remain seated even though they have finished their food selfish because they don't care one jot for those who are looking around for a seat. 'As with a lot of things, it's 'not their problem' and these people are only thinking about themselves I'm afraid, their attitude being I've paid for this, and I'll do what I want. I do not fall into that category. It's up to P&O to turf people for example, out of the buffet if they've finished to allow others to sit down. That would save an unpleasant confrontation of the passengers themselves.

:(

People eat in the buffet?

I'd much prefer not to be seated with most of my family if I were cruising with them. And as for the chavs mentioned, surely all chavs should be thrown overboard anyway? Along with all those who insist on wearing a white DJ north of the tropics.

Get rid of these, and then there would be seats for all.

Problem solved!

ooh eer we are crusing P and O next April..our 1st with them, and husband wears a white/cream DJ..I hope you are not going to throw him overboard as he is very well behaved.

Not if you are cruising in the tropics. Otherwise, were I on board then it would clearly be a risk!!!

(I've never thrown anyone overboard, however tempting it has been occasions. Mind you - with a white DJ I assume he'll be asked for drinks all the time?)

ooh eer we are crusing P and O next April..our 1st with them, and husband wears a white/cream DJ..I hope you are not going to throw him overboard as he is very well behaved.

English lady are you sailing on the Oceana on the 25th April,because if you are I can save you a seat and a life jacket just in case OH is thrown overboard .:rolleyes:We will also save him a seat at our table ,because he seems to be trained and have well behaved table manners . How long have you been training him for ,is he cabin trained or does he go on deck?:rolleyes:

There seems to be a light hearted feeling on this thread is it because it is Christmas eve?.:)

Hi All

The other slant I would put on this seat business are those thoughtless people that remain occupying seats in the self service long after they have finished eating. This in spite of watching others with their trays trying to find a table. I am unsure as to whether they are dense, stupid or just plain selfish.

regards

cabinboy

Hi All

The other slant I would put on this seat business are those thoughtless people that remain occupying seats in the self service long after they have finished eating. This in spite of watching others with their trays trying to find a table. I am unsure as to whether they are dense, stupid or just plain selfish.

regards

cabinboy

I can understand,but that is why we like waiter service because the meal is not just eating but an experience and you can linger and enjoy. Rushing away after a meal is not our idea of fun ,but we usually do not eat self service. My concerns are with those who rush ahead to reserve tables in the theatre and bars for family and friends and scowl when you attempt to sit down ,and if you protest they all join ranks and attack you for sitting in an empty seat.

• 3 weeks later...
Along with all those who insist on wearing a white DJ north of the tropics.

quote]

Now, I get the "rule" on reserving seats - P&O request us not to do it, but I am struggling to locate the "white DJ north of the tropics" regulations.

Perhaps you could give me a head up on this one.

David.

I don't know what the answer is?

I hate seat reserving too. I do not know what the solution is because your always going to leave your towel on the bed while your swimming and you cannot proove someone is not in the pool.

The only solution I can think of is booking a sunbed in advance with a maximum occupancy time. Have half the beds which can be booked and the other half which are ona first come first serve basis?

My other big hate is people leaving towels out after they have used the bed, one thing we do quite a lot is go to the pool in the afternoon, you can normally get a bed then, but if people have left their towel out and gone you just do not know if the bed is still in use or not?

Same with the theatre, have an option to book your seats in advance? I personally never go to the shows but with todays technology it would be easy to have a booking system you could use through your TV.

I hate confrontation, I really hate looking for tables in the buffet? I mean people talk about finding a table once you have your food but what do you do if you cannot find one??

I would never take a sunbed with a towel on it, I would be fearing the confrontation when the towel owner returned. Its not like I am scared of what they would do. Just more scared it would put me in a bad mood all day and ruin my holiday.

We have a balcony for the first time on the next cruise so I hope I can sit out in the sun and read my book, so will not be as bothered about going to the pool and joining the scrum for the sunbeds.

Chris

Easy answer is to provide more sunbeds. You could always ask if anybody is using a particular sunbed. I would have also thought pick a time when fellow passengers are on excursions, or at meals. Again shouldn't be a problem unless you are wanting to lie on a sunbed all day. With the theatre just plan to get there a little earlier to make sure of a seat. As for the buffet most people who complain want to sit by them selfs. There are no shortage of seats if you are prepared to sit with fellow passengers. After all that's what cruise holiday's are about, if your just going to sit in your cabin then there is no point going on a cruise. I am begining to wonder if your up to this cruiseing lark LostinVegas, I am a little disappointed in the your last few posts.

I agree about the sunbeds Stopgo. If cruise lines advertise relaxation on the deck, they should have enough space and beds for all. Same for the theatre; if I'm promised great shows, I expect there to be adequate seats. Adding more cabins to ships without any expansion of public areas seems to be part of the cause on some ships. I was on the "stretched" Balmoral last year and sometimes the bars etc. were overwhelmed.

These problems are definitely the responsibility of P&O. We have to scrum around in the rest of our lives - on holiday we expect better.

They merely need to provide us with what they promise in return for our hard earned cash.

Happy hols.

I must confess to going on ahead to find seats for the show on our recent (Thomson) cruise, because we had my partially-sighted 81-year old mother-in-law with us and we needed to be able to bring her into the lounge and know where we were taking her to sit, there is no way she would have been capable of wandering around once she got there.

I did feel guilty doing it though, and when it is just my husband and myself we go in together and take pot luck.

Last time I found two reserved sunbeds that weren't being used, I removed all the items and put them on a table. We took up our positions and 45 minutes later the owners came and demanded their sunbeds. I said "I'm sorry, but you cannot reserve beds and you have been away for an hour". Simple.

White DJ? Yes I my husband looks great in his :-)

What we are all forgetting is that the subbed issue is not confined to P&O. Have a read through the other cruise line sections of CC and the same issue comes up time and time again.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

From a happy cruiser who does not lie on sun beds:D

:cool:

Dai

kenshaz, it is only human nature to want to sit with your family and friends, I mean, would you yourself want to sit with your family and friends if you were cruising together? On the face of it, it is rather selfish behaviour but understandable. You could always bring an instance to the attention of a member of staff but whether they would 'force' the savers to give up a couple of seats is debatable. I personally don't like it when people 'save' seats in the buffet so as to be sure of sitting down once they have their food but people do it all the time in shopping centres for example, even though there are signs asking them not to, they do it anyway. I find people who remain seated even though they have finished their food selfish because they don't care one jot for those who are looking around for a seat. 'As with a lot of things, it's 'not their problem' and these people are only thinking about themselves I'm afraid, their attitude being I've paid for this, and I'll do what I want. I do not fall into that category. It's up to P&O to turf people for example, out of the buffet if they've finished to allow others to sit down. That would save an unpleasant confrontation of the passengers themselves.

:(

I agree its only natural people will want to sit together, so if they do, they should all arrive together.;)

Easy answer is to provide more sunbeds.

That is the perfect solution but it has 1 drawback? there is only so much deck space? reading reviews of Ventura 1 of the biggest critasisms is the sunbeds are far to packed together. How do you suggest they fit more in.

The rest of your post is all correct, most people don't sit in the sun all day but some people put their towels out in the morning and come back in the afternoon, this means those beds are not available for anyone else to use.

In an ideal world it should work, but the world is not ideal and people are selfish.

Chris

Archived