Anyone see the new Carnival commercial yet?

popcorngal

This commercial came on again today and knowing that I new what it was and that my dd, 9, did not, I let her watch the opening part, with the pinata..then I paused the tv and asked her what the commercial was for? she replied...for the "viva pinata game..a game for our xbox 360" we do not have the game but she knows of the game...then I continued on with the commercial..she then saw it was for Carnival...I think that said it all :)

Well, I just watched it.

I hadn't seen it yet, just didn't have the time. So here I sit, it's 2:46 AM and I thought, "what they hey, lets see what everyone is talking about". I went to Heald's blog and installed Flash Player just to view it. Hoping against hope that it wasnt as bad as everyone is saying. What interested me even more, is that I just finished reading about RCI's new surrealistic "Why Not" campaign and how much RCI fans hate it. Even on that thread this new Carnival commercial was mentioned with disgust and repugnance. "Surely it couldn't be that bad", I thought. Surely it must just be a dud, nothing too horrid or evil, just some marketing mistake that will be forgotten in a few weeks. Well, I was wrong. Oh so wrong.

To say that this commericial is bad, is like saying that the surface of the sun is luke warm. The fact that the largest cruise vacation conglomerate ever to exist paid someone to make that bilge for their flagship company is beyond reason. It is thrity seconds of unintelligible refuse not fit for a used car lot ad. I don't even fully understand what I saw, it simply boggles the mind. We went from images of ships and persons aboard them, to cretins beating a paper mache donkey? Did we skip ahead to April 1st and I just wasn't told.

WOW! That's terrible. But it'll probably make next year's "Funniest Commercials" with Kevin Nealon. Did anyone happen to watch that stinker the other night? Maybe I'm just getting crochety in my middle age, but only one or two were funny out of the entire hour. Most just sucked and I sat there asking Fredda "Was that funny?"

Scrap the crap, Carnival!! Show me the ocean and sunrises and food and dancing and pampering and piano bars and kissing the love of my life under the moon by the fantail.

What were they thinking? I don't get it..... The RCCL commercial is horrible as well.

I also dont get the whole JH fan club and blog thing either. I don't find him entertaining and think he's a bit cheesy. I have sailed on cruises where he was CD and found him annoying.

Brown nose over the internet....... thats awesome........... Can't stop laughing......

This is just my opinion.

FIRE THE MARKETING DEPARTMENT!

This commercial might be appealing to those who actually took part in the shooting, but for those of us sitting at home, the commercials are not appealing at all.

As someone mentioned, the "Beyond the Sea" commercials were great. They truly made me want to go cruising!

Got a name:

Ruben Rodriguez, the mastermind behind a new advertising campaign for the line that debuted Thursday, is the executive vice president for marketing and guest experience.

Can we fire Uncle Gerry too? Looks like another one of his cost cutting measures is showing again. :rolleyes:

if the pinata was Funship Freddy it may have made a bit more sense to the viewer.... maybe...

I am guessing that - although it would have identified Carnival - they did not use Freddy because the image would be whacking Freddy with a stick :eek:.

That can't be good :cool:......

I am guessing that - although it would have identified Carnival - they did not use Freddy because the image would be whacking Freddy with a stick :eek:.

That can't be good :cool:......

Now if it were a RCCL commercial and they were wacking Freddy...maybe. lol

Got a name:

Ruben Rodriguez, the mastermind behind a new advertising campaign for the line that debuted Thursday, is the executive vice president for marketing and guest experience.

Now that is scarey! He's the exec VP for marketing and guest experience?? Lets hope he's better at the "guest experience" part of his job. As much as he's missed the boat with this campaign there are others that had to be in agreement with this campaign as well. It makes me wonder if they actually used research groups to decide who they need to target their commercials towards. Surely a pinata and freebie give away might be good local publicity but it certainly isn't commercial marketing material. Where's the music that makes you think of a cruise everytime you hear it? Where are all the hawaiian shorts and beach wear and beaches?

I sure hope the Dallas commercial with the beach ball has better luck. At least in that commercial you can make a connection between a beach ball possibly a beach destination on a cruise ship.

The goal should have been to include all the things that make a person want to book a cruise an enticement of sorts. Carefree and fun neither of which came from that pinata commercial. :confused:

Where's the music that makes you think of a cruise everytime you hear it? Where are all the hawaiian shorts and beach wear and beaches?

Uh, actually, I'm glad they didn't show any Hawaiian shorts.... ;)

It's a stretch to make any connection to Carnival, but I suspect it was an attempt at showing people having 'fun' and then the lead in to the Fun Ship and horn.

Got to be the worlds biggest pin cushion though and I'm sure that it might have qualified as a Guiness record for the largest Pinata. Yes people were having fun - until the ball dropped. After that it got scary and maybe that symbolizes 'the end of fun'?

But in simple terms it does nothing to put out the message that cruising on Carnival is fun and something to make people want to try. Wasted money from here.

Got a name:

And he's only been employed by Carnival one year...:rolleyes:

Check out the discussion on this here..He thinks all Carnival Cruisers are 'similar'... guess he doesnt read these boards too much.. lol

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17439978&highlight=#post17439978

trock

5,000+ Club Join Date: Jul 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bran8778

Found This on USAYODAY.com (if this has already been posted, sorry)

Some people love Carnival Cruise Lines; others wouldn't be caught dead on one of the company's ships.

Where do you fall along the Great Carnival Divide? The answer may have a lot more to do with your personality than your age or income level, says the line's new marketing whiz, Ruben Rodriguez.

"The very loyal Carnival guests (have) a lot of similarities," says Rodriguez, who joined the company a year ago as executive vice president for marketing and guest experience. "They are very social, very gregarious, very optimistic people -- the kind of people who see the glass half full."

Carnival passengers like to have fun. But it's more than that, says Rodriguez, the mastermind behind a new advertising campaign for the line that debuted Thursday. They're an outgoing, unpretentious bunch that likes to meet other people and have fun in a social way.

"A lot of people will tell you they don't go on vacation to meet new people, but the (typical Carnival passenger) goes on vacation to meet new people," he says.

In a word, they are spirited, he says. And the company's new brand campaign, which centers around the tag line "Fun for all, all for fun," will focus more than ever on these core "spirited" customers who like to have fun in a social, gregarious way -- a segment of the market that Rodriguez says includes at least 40 million Americans of all ages and income groups.

"We're trying to reset the positioning of the brand around this gregarious fun," he says, pointing to new advertisements that show residents of Philadelphia and Dallas participating in goofy Carnival-sponsored stunts. "We decided that all of our advertising should be fun. It should bring a smile to your face."

C-Rod needs to read up! LOL

Well compare this article to posts on CC... Sure... we are all so similar..

I think C-Rod needs to spend some time on this board read how different Carnival Cruisers are!

This coming from the 'genius' behind the new pinata commercial...

The Todd Rundgren song is excellent, the rest of the ad is awful. Who cares about a mob in a parking lot beating on a piñata?

Take the "I don't want to work, I want to bang on the drum all day" song in the background with a bunch of cruisers on board dancing and take it from there to other deck scenes, ending with a LONG blast on the ship horn and people waving good bye to the camera as the ship sails off to the horizon.

JMHO as a consumer! ;)

After reading most of the comments I went to youtube, thanks trock, and I could not believe how bad this thing was. All of the comments are right on the money. What could they possibly have been thinking? If those of us who are for the most part loyal to the Carnival brand feel this way, how will it resonate for others who are just considering a cruise for the first time?

Just curious, Host Mach and goincrusin, what do you guys think?

After reading most of the comments I went to youtube, thanks trock, and I could not believe how bad this thing was. All of the comments are right on the money. What could they possibly have been thinking?

Just curious, Host Mach and goincrusin, what do you guys think?

Host Mach expressed his approval of the ad in the comments on JH's blog. Don't know about Chris, he may have posted under a different name in the comments or not at all.

Archived