Visa for Egypt - middleman or not

2travelers

Hi - I just received the visa information from GCT for our up coming trip to Ancient Egypt and the Nile. Previously I downloaded the application for the Visa. GCT uses a middleman for the process. Over the years I have gotten my visa independently and through a middleman. The fee for GCT using the middleman is $135 for my husband and myself. The fee to do it independently is $30 for the two of us. The difference is a significant. While I am OK with chalking it up to the cost of our vacation, I am wondering if any of you out there did it on your own and if there were any problems. When we went to Russia we were advised to use the middleman because Russia tends to "lose" the passports and take forever getting them back. I will say I was very impressed with the company used - they kept us informed via e-mail of where our passports were in terms of processing and we had the visas and passports back in less than two weeks. I did it independently for Turkey and had no problems. Any opinions on which way is best? Anyone encounter any problems doing it on your own? Any information would be helpful - I am ready to go!!!!

Thanks,

Ronnie

Hi - I just received the visa information from GCT for our up coming trip to Ancient Egypt and the Nile. Previously I downloaded the application for the Visa. GCT uses a middleman for the process. Over the years I have gotten my visa independently and through a middleman. The fee for GCT using the middleman is $135 for my husband and myself. The fee to do it independently is $30 for the two of us. The difference is a significant. While I am OK with chalking it up to the cost of our vacation, I am wondering if any of you out there did it on your own and if there were any problems. When we went to Russia we were advised to use the middleman because Russia tends to "lose" the passports and take forever getting them back. I will say I was very impressed with the company used - they kept us informed via e-mail of where our passports were in terms of processing and we had the visas and passports back in less than two weeks. I did it independently for Turkey and had no problems. Any opinions on which way is best? Anyone encounter any problems doing it on your own? Any information would be helpful - I am ready to go!!!!

Thanks,

Ronnie

If you are only going to Egypt, there is no need to purchase a visa in advance. You can purchase it at the airport for about $25-$30 US. I did it this February prior to my Egypt land trip with no problem whatsoever. It is extremely easy. Of course, I am assuming from your location that you are a US citizen.....I'm not sure what the rules are for other nationalities.

Its $20 US. You buy it from the bank before you reach the immigration people. Its just a stamp. No need to get it in advance(you need pictures mail in your passport etc...much easlier just to get it at the airport in Cairo....

Thanks for all your responses. While I am a true believer that rules are meant to be broken, the information on the Visas sent by GCT said that US citizens may obtain their visa upon ariival in Egypt - then they wrote in bold lettering- NOT RECOMMENDED. Since I am going on the Jordan extension we will have to pay an additional fee of $15 to get back into the country - no problem. What my concern is, is that there will be 140 people trying to do the samething and we will be standing on lines forever. I am assuming that is why the tour company is discouraging us. How long are the lines and how fast are the visas processed. Are the applications given out at the airport - or do we use the one we received from GCT. Do we need additonal photos - should we brind them with us - just in case? Thanks for your quick responses.

Ronnie

Are you flying into Egypt? (your messages are not clear). If so, get your visa at the airport (assuming U.S. citizen.. also works for many others, but not all).

They just call it a visa. It is really a way to take in $20US. There is NO application, no photo, no questions. You present your passport and $20US cash and a visa stamp magically appears. The process takes about 10 seconds. So, even if there is a line, it moves rather quickly.

On one trip to Egypt, the tour guide (it was a "tour" for 3 people) met us with the visa stamps in hand (to give you an idea of how seriously they take the process).

Paul

Are you flying into Egypt? (your messages are not clear). If so, get your visa at the airport (assuming U.S. citizen.. also works for many others, but not all).

They just call it a visa. It is really a way to take in $20US. There is NO application, no photo, no questions. You present your passport and $20US cash and a visa stamp magically appears. The process takes about 10 seconds. So, even if there is a line, it moves rather quickly.

On one trip to Egypt, the tour guide (it was a "tour" for 3 people) met us with the visa stamps in hand (to give you an idea of how seriously they take the process).

Paul

Thanks - that is what I thought. I did some more research on websites for Egypt and they all say to get the visa at the airport. Basically it is just a stamp - you lick it and stick it into your passport. Also, applications are handed out on the plane - so everything is filled out already. I am convinced that they are making a big deal out of nothing. I have no idea why they want you to pay a middleman an extra $100 for a visa that cost $15 - actually I do have an idea, but my DH would say I am being cynical. We have done this often enough -> to the airport we go.....and get our visa there.

I am having surgery on my ankle the Tuesday and then we have 111 days for me to recouperate - but who the heck is counting :D

Thanks for all your info - CC always comes through for me.

Ronnie

Thanks for all your responses. While I am a true believer that rules are meant to be broken, the information on the Visas sent by GCT said that US citizens may obtain their visa upon ariival in Egypt - then they wrote in bold lettering- NOT RECOMMENDED. Since I am going on the Jordan extension we will have to pay an additional fee of $15 to get back into the country - no problem. What my concern is, is that there will be 140 people trying to do the samething and we will be standing on lines forever. I am assuming that is why the tour company is discouraging us. How long are the lines and how fast are the visas processed. Are the applications given out at the airport - or do we use the one we received from GCT. Do we need additonal photos - should we brind them with us - just in case? Thanks for your quick responses.

Ronnie

I am sorry but they must be idiots. Its a simple process to get it there and not a hassle at all. No photos no mess no problem. I have no idea why its not recommended. You can get just as much a hassle with a pre cleared visa if the border guard wants to. even if there were 10 planes at once you would be through in the same amount of time it takes the border guards to stamp them. Whether you wait to buy the stamp(there were 5 people selling them when we arrived and no one waited more than a minute or two) or wait while standig in line for the norder guard to stamp them its still the same amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

This is a different but related question. My DW and I are on a 12-Night Eastern Mediterranean on NCL Jade. It stops for a day at Izmir and for two days in Alexandria.

My question to you knowledgeable folk is: Will we need to obtain entry visas for either country before we arrive for Check-In in Barcelona (Or am I hearing right that the visa can be obtained onboard at the port of entry in both countries). The cruise returns to Barcelona, so these are Ports of Call and not the termination point for the cruise.

Basically I am looking for reassurance that we don't need to do anything before the cruise regarding visas for these countries.

Hi All,

This is a different but related question. My DW and I are on a 12-Night Eastern Mediterranean on NCL Jade. It stops for a day at Izmir and for two days in Alexandria.

My question to you knowledgeable folk is: Will we need to obtain entry visas for either country before we arrive for Check-In in Barcelona (Or am I hearing right that the visa can be obtained onboard at the port of entry in both countries). The cruise returns to Barcelona, so these are Ports of Call and not the termination point for the cruise.

Basically I am looking for reassurance that we don't need to do anything before the cruise regarding visas for these countries.

You do not need to do anything.

For Turkey (Izmir), you do not need a visa if you are visiting for a day on a cruise ship that is not beginning or ending there.

For Egypt, your ship will obtain what is called a quick or limited entry visa for all passengers onboard. At some point prior to your arrival, they will collect all passports and then you will pick them up with the visa stamp in place.

You do not need to do anything.

For Turkey (Izmir), you do not need a visa if you are visiting for a day on a cruise ship that is not beginning or ending there.

For Egypt, your ship will obtain what is called a quick or limited entry visa for all passengers onboard. At some point prior to your arrival, they will collect all passports and then you will pick them up with the visa stamp in place.

Many, many thanks. That's the kind of clear answer I was hoping someone could give me. I am very grateful to you.

Many, many thanks. That's the kind of clear answer I was hoping someone could give me. I am very grateful to you.

You're very welcome. Enjoy your cruise. I really love both Turkey and Egypt and plan to return to both again this fall on another Med cruise. (Third time for Egypt!)

You're very welcome. Enjoy your cruise. I really love both Turkey and Egypt and plan to return to both again this fall on another Med cruise. (Third time for Egypt!)

I've always wanted to go to Egypt. Wish we were stopping there for more than the two days actually. Would love to do a Nile cruise while there but probably will not have enough time. I think we'll be going back to Egypt a few times as well. Thanks again for answering the question for me.

I've always wanted to go to Egypt. Wish we were stopping there for more than the two days actually. Would love to do a Nile cruise while there but probably will not have enough time. I think we'll be going back to Egypt a few times as well. Thanks again for answering the question for me.

unless you are talking about taking a Faluccu ride you don't have time for a Nile "cruise". You can probably fit in an hour nile Falucca ride at sunset of you have the time they leave from near the Nile Hilton. The price is negotiable...and is best done by your guide(who will get a portion of it as backsheesh). If you are doing you own tour not a cruise lines one you can ask that it be included....

Nile cruises which go between Aswan and Luxor are normally 3-5 days....(the ship that they filmed death on the Nile is still in service)

IMG_3498.jpg.b32e163a882959e969a7174a21e4633f.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg.55f09b122d497d3cbaf6fb5b99ef0af2.jpg

unless you are talking about taking a Faluccu ride you don't have time for a Nile "cruise". You can probably fit in an hour nile Falucca ride at sunset of you have the time they leave from near the Nile Hilton. The price is negotiable...and is best done by your guide(who will get a portion of it as backsheesh). If you are doing you own tour not a cruise lines one you can ask that it be included....

Nile cruises which go between Aswan and Luxor are normally 3-5 days....(the ship that they filmed death on the Nile is still in service)

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I think we will be doing an Egyptian land vacation at some point in the near future, after this cruise, to see the southern Egypt area.

• 3 weeks later...

We had planned on getting our Visa after we land in Egypt on reccommendations from this forum. Last night we decided to book our air since Egypt Air had some lower fares. As we were filling out the info. (online) when we would get to the part that asked for a Visa Number, which we don't have, it would not let us go any further in booking the tickets.

Are we doing something wrong--any suggestions?? How do we proceed with the booking without a Visa Number ????

thanks for your help.

micked10

We had planned on getting our Visa after we land in Egypt on reccommendations from this forum. Last night we decided to book our air since Egypt Air had some lower fares. As we were filling out the info. (online) when we would get to the part that asked for a Visa Number, which we don't have, it would not let us go any further in booking the tickets.

Are we doing something wrong--any suggestions?? How do we proceed with the booking without a Visa Number ????

thanks for your help.

micked10

Most of my Delta flight 12-21-08 got in line to get their visa in Cairo airport. I would call Egypt Air for an answer.

thanks for your help.

micked10

put to be applied for or use your passport number.

Thanks for your help. We had already tried putting in "applying for" and you need your passport number too so that didn't work. I finally called Egyptair this AM and they said that I should be putting in Worldwide when I make the res. He said he had never heard of that happening before. Since it was my DH doing all of this and getting more and more frustrated (ha,ha) I am going to give him this info. I really dont' know how he was going about it. He is not home right now so if this all works I will let you know!

thanks for the help.

micked10

Found out what we were doing wrong when making our airline reservations online! Maybe this will help someone else. We were typing in United States instead of Worldwide in the right hand corner. If you type in US they ask you for your Visa number and then you can not procede with the reservations. When you type in Worldwide it bypasses that step.

micked10

Found out what we were doing wrong when making our airline reservations online! Maybe this will help someone else. We were typing in United States instead of Worldwide in the right hand corner. If you type in US they ask you for your Visa number and then you can not procede with the reservations. When you type in Worldwide it bypasses that step.

micked10

obviously the Visa was to enter the US!!!!

Just wanted to add my info regarding Egupt visas - we leave in 3 weeks.

I was going to get them at the airport, but also read that lines and chaos in general at the airport is huge ---- so I called the consulate in Montreal and they told me the site to download the forms - 2 photos ($18), $44 for visas (1 US, 1 Canadian) - 2 Express Post envelopes (one for mailing in, one for return -$16.00) and it is all done.

I sent express post on Monday 3:30 pm from Ontario to Montreal - the passports with visa were back on Friday in my noon mail.....

May be a little more expensive than doing it at the airport, but definitely less money than doing it through a visa service...the questions were pretty straightforward....

Archived