Can you "swim with the turtles" and not snorkle?

mafig

Can you see anything if you just "swim" with the turtles and not snorkle. Unfortunately, I'm not a very good snorkler, usually end up swallowing water. I really would just prefer to just wear a swim vest (although I can swim) and bob among the turtles .... is this doable?

We were just on the NCL Jewel 12/12/2008 sailing and did the Thriller tour at Barbados on 12/17. The first stop was swimming with the turtles. You wouldn't have to be a super snorkler to get a look at the turtles. The turtles we saw stayed down about 4 feet below the surface so you would want to have a mask on so you could look at them. Our guide recomended that we not wear flippers at the turtle stop. We booked the Thriller tour direct and had a great day.

1561017039_H20Pictures105.jpg.94dca8f60f6ed5f0785b59dac974c99e.jpg

1818755199_H20Pictures098.jpg.2318c2c85a494963c061f072b461a17b.jpg

Now that's a good idea!

Can you point me toward a company?

Or can we hook up with someone at the cruiseship dock?

You can usually get a glass-bottom boat to take you out, at any of the West Coast beaches.

They're run by local guys who ply the beaches for trade.

If you see one coming in to the beach, take a walk down to the boat and ask questions.

If they can't take you out this trip, they'll take you out next trip in half an hour's time

Consider getting a viewing float- a bit on styrafoam with a clear viewer in it. I think they also make them inflatable. That way you don't have to snorkle but still can see down into the water.

Does anyone know where you could get one of these? We all want to snorkel with the turtles when we are in Barbados next year. My mother would love to be in the water with the turtles but isn't a swimmer so a viewing float would be perfect for her. Do any "snorkeling with the turtles" companies offer these as an option?

Thanks

Erin

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on over a dozen snorkel trips and do not recall ever seeing this kind of float. With a trip to your local harware store you could make your own. A round piece of acrylic glass 12" or so in diameter wrapped in the styrofoam used to insulate water pipes (Held in place with duct tape) when combined with a floating vest should work to give you a floating view station.

As already posted you can where the goggles without using the snorkle to breathe. Just lift or turn your head when you need more air.

Sure you can just swim if you want. But you'll be able to see much better if you wear a mask. If you don't want to wear a mask you might be able to see better from the boat, wearing some polarized sunglasses, than floating on the surface of the water. The first picture below was taken a couple feet underwater and the second picture below is from the boat looking over the edge. Your guide will probably be right next to the boat feeding the turtles. They aren't coming to say hello or because they like you - they want the food!

Have fun and enjoy!

161860615_9oy8M-S.jpg

161860685_u6iad-S.jpg

Larry - your turtle pictures are beautiful. Just curious, what camera did you use for those pictures?

Thank you. The underwater picture was taken with an old Minolta Dimage Xi Camera in a waterproof case. It is an older 2 or 3 Mp camera from 2003. The picture looking down on the water was with a Panasonic Fz5 camera. We've been on the Silver Moon Catamaran trip in Barbados 3 times before and these pictures were from a day that the water conditions were the best of the 3 in March 2007 - it was very clear that day.

One of the secrets to great underwater pictures is doing a little color correction - see the link to some examples and tips in my signature below.

Archived