Breastfeeding and High Chairs

zoya19

We are leaving Jan. 11th with RCI on Explorer of the Seas just wondering if breastfeeding is accepted everywhere? Also, is there highchairs in the dining rooms that can be used?

Also, do you need a car seat in ports of call? I really don't want to bring two car seats with me.

Thanks

I've happily and easily nursed an 8 month old and a 3.5 year old while cruising (different cruises, same kid). I had no problems at all. In fact, I got lots of great smiles and responses. After all, my kid was happy and quiet, which is always a good thing! :)

Breast-feeding is as natural as burping, sex and going to the bathroom. All of which can generally be done behind closed doors. I nursed my two sons and I did it in the comfort and privacy of the cabin. When I went to the diningroom- I brought espressed milk or formula.

I think that breast-feeding is important and beneficial. If you can do it in a way that isn't obvious- like with a cloth diaper over your shoulder- then I think it is appropriate. We all have to resort to this on occassion but for the most part, it doesn't have to be done in public. I think you have to be sensitive to others. I don't think people in a fancy restaurant or fine dining venue expect to see a nursing mother. I always went to the ladies room if my son fussed.

Most women who breastfeed know how to do it so that no one else is aware that it's happening! It's not a problem, but I wouldn't do it at the dining room table!

Yes--highchairs and booster seats are available on the ship. Don't lug one!

As far as carseats....I wouldn't bother, but there are some who will say you're irresponsible if you don't bring one! (I grew up before car seats, and hey--I'm still here!)

Wanted to clarify: When my 3.5 year old was nursing on the cruise, we only nursed in the cabin. After my kids were about two, we stopped nursing in public just because they were so big and hard to manage in a modest way!

But when John was 8 months on the cruise, we nursed all over the ship and in ports. We had a booth at dinner. He'd nurse to sleep at dinner and they lay down on the booth while the rest of us enjoyed our dinner. It was perfect!

Wanted to clarify: When my 3.5 year old was nursing on the cruise, we only nursed in the cabin. After my kids were about two, we stopped nursing in public just because they were so big and hard to manage in a modest way!

I can well imagine.

OnTheBrink - my son weaned himself from breastfeeding just before he had his 3rd birthday so it doesn't matter to me about extended breastfeeding. My daughter will be just turning 1 when we leave.

I figured on the ship it would have to be accepted. Or at least in Canada it is accepted anyhow. I figure the States would be similar. I know not everyone approves of it and I am not planning on doing it publicly but it may happen. I am not going to go breastfeed in the bathroom or head back to the room when the rest of my family is doing whatever somewhere else. Normally when I breastfeed unless you are really looking at me you won't even notice.

Thanks for the info. on highchairs and booster seats. I really didn't want to bring one. I really don't want to bring a car seat either but I wasn't sure if we would have to for the ports of call.

zoya - I think your one year old will do great on the cruise with the added benefit of nursing to help ease any uncomfort or anxiety. And I imagine that your fellow passengers will be grateful that you have your secret weapon to help make your little one happy! Have a great time!

I know not everyone approves of it and I am not planning on doing it publicly but it may happen. I am not going to go breastfeed in the bathroom or head back to the room when the rest of my family is doing whatever somewhere else.

I don't think that you should have to go back to your cabin or the bathroom to breastfeed. The baby needs dinner too. Breastfeeding is a very natural thing. It appalls to think of how many people are against it.

I am sorry, I would never breastfeed in a restroom. Would anyone else eat their dinner on top of a toilet in a public restroom? When I breasfed in public, you never would know. I wore a shaw, a sling or a blankie to cover myself. Any mother with any practice can be discrete in public. I know in the US breastfeeding in public is legal everywhere.

You'll be fine! It is so easy to travel with breastfeeding kids, enjoy it while you can. My guess is that the only people who notice a nursing child are parents who nursed their own children. If you see anyone staring or hear them whispering, they are likely saying "isn't it GREAT to see moms nursing their kids in public!"

Once my kids were well into eating solids at around 12 months, we didn't breastfeed in public nearly as often as we did when they were younger.

I am sorry, I would never breastfeed in a restroom. Would anyone else eat their dinner on top of a toilet in a public restroom? When I breasfed in public, you never would know. I wore a shaw, a sling or a blankie to cover myself. Any mother with any practice can be discrete in public. I know in the US breastfeeding in public is legal everywhere.

I don't think its the breastfeeding in public that people object to. They object to the few women who have no problem whipping out their breasts and letting the world see them while loudly claiming they have a right to do so. Woman who are discreet do NOT fall into this category. However, I have seen women with no cover over their breasts, basically just exposing themselves.... like I want to see them. You wouldn't normally lift off your top and bra in a restaurant would you? Breastfeeding is not an open invitation to show me either. I think those are the ones that people object to. Women who cover themselves and look like they are just holding their babies are not the ones at issue. Common courtesy is the name of the game. flsunnymommy, I have no problem with seeing you (or any others) breastfeed .... even at my table - as long as you use the common courtesy you stated above.

Personally when I breastfed my DD I was just not comfortable being in public and feeding her so that contributed to my choosing to stop breastfeeding rather early (she was 8 weeks old when I stopped) although there were other factors involved.

I don't think its the breastfeeding in public that people object to. <snip> Women who cover themselves and look like they are just holding their babies are not the ones at issue. Common courtesy is the name of the game. flsunnymommy, I have no problem with seeing you (or any others) breastfeed .... even at my table - as long as you use the common courtesy you stated above.

Personally when I breastfed my DD I was just not comfortable being in public and feeding her so that contributed to my choosing to stop breastfeeding rather early (she was 8 weeks old when I stopped) although there were other factors involved.

Me too. I don't even care if I'm aware that you are breastfeeding at the table as long as you are courteous and aware of the comfort level of others. I know there are women who say (to paraphrase), "I'll whip them out and breastfeed wherever I want and however I want, and anyone who is not comfortable with that hates breastfeeding mothers..." This is simply untrue (at least, almost all the time).

There are times and places where I believe discretion is a virtue, including in public and especially in an intimate (that is confined) environment. There was a big to-do locally a few years back because a woman sitting in a courtroom during court, fully unbuttoned her blouse, opened her bra completely, and started nursing with no cover of any kind. As you can imagine, this was somewhat distracting to the jury, witnesses, and officers of the court, as well as making the people near her uncomfortable. The judge called a recess and told her that she would have to either cover up or nurse outside the courtroom. She raised holy hell about her "rights" and claimed that her ability nursing where, when, and how she wanted was more important than the courtroom procedures running smoothly. She accused the judge of bias against mothers and said that it was everyone else in the room who had a "problem" that they would need to "get over" and on and on. She had no concern for others and managed to narrowly avoid a contempt citation. All she had to do was consider that there were 100 other people in the room, mostly strangers, who simply wanted her to cover up with a blanket, towel, whatever.

Around family and very close friends breastfeeding "in view" can be a different thing. My best friends and I really thought nothing of it when one would need to nurse, flip up or unbutton, situate the baby, and let the baby have at it. OTOH, I wouldn't have done that if my grandpa was in the room because it would have made him uncomfortable. It wouldn't have bothered me, but that is not the issue.

Just a modicum of courtesy is all most people ask or expect.

beachchick

Archived