river tubing and much more tour in domenica form hal

honey-bunny

hi everyone please help me with info regarding river tubing and much more tour in Dominica I booked with Hal direct this is a tour for me and DH and our 9 year old little girl. does anybody know is the life vest will be provided for our girl:confused: (she is very small 9 year old) and I would really appreciate any info we booked with Hal thinking it will be safer to do that with our little girl, it is the river tubing and much more hope to hear from you any comments I rarely appreciate any suggestions (the river tubing an much more was out daughter wish to do we booked it for her) is it safe to do it with the 9 year old

worried mom lol:confused:

I have done the river tubing twice in Dominica and laughed the entire time. It is sooooooo much fun. Your kid will just love it. I have also done the whale watching and champagne reef snorkel in Dominica. Awesome. We did not see a whale but the snorkeling made up for it. Champagne Reef has bubbles coming out of the bottom resembling champagne and really hot water coming out too. Either one is fabulous. I am doing the Whale Watching and Champagne Reef thingy in Feb. Can't wait.

hi everyone please help me with info regarding river tubing and much more tour in Dominica I booked with Hal direct this is a tour for me and DH and our 9 year old little girl. does anybody know is the life vest will be provided for our girl:confused: (she is very small 9 year old) and I would really appreciate any info we booked with Hal thinking it will be safer to do that with our little girl, it is the river tubing and much more hope to hear from you any comments I rarely appreciate any suggestions (the river tubing an much more was out daughter wish to do we booked it for her) is it safe to do it with the 9 year old

worried mom lol:confused:

I did the tour and enjoyed it. Most of the time it was very gentle with a few moderate rapids. The guides were in the water the whole time to help if we got caught on the rocks. It was fun and I think your daughter is old enough to enjoy it.

It seems that there were two river tubing tours offered. I did the one you mentioned. The other was just tubing. If I had it to do over again I would just do the tubing.

As cruzenetta posted the snorkel at champaign was wonderful.

Carole

THANK YOU SO MUCH IT MAKE ME FEEL MORE REASURED I WAS WORRYED A BIT IF IT WAS TO DIFFICALT TO DO WIITH THE 9 YEAR OLD but she was asking as so much about this tour. shoul i bring her life jacket or will ot be provided at the river tubing?:confused:

thank you:)

I think it is important to note that there are TWO river tubing excursions offered on HAL. The "River tubing and much more was IMHO terrible when compared to Antours River Tubing on the Layou River, also a HAL excursion. Having done the Layou River 5 or six times I can tell you, that there are life jackets and helmets provided along with many young men to help you along the way. On the "Much More" tour, there was little help, low water and a long ride in a diseal stinky bus. I did that tour once and will never do it again.

They provide life jackets.

thank you for the reply

i have 1 more question when they will bring us to the tour is there dressing /changing rooms or should we just wear the swimming suits before leaving? does the bus pick you up at the same location after you fiinish the river tubing (can we leave our stuff/clothes )in the bus?

I think it is important to note that there are TWO river tubing excursions offered on HAL. The "River tubing and much more was IMHO terrible when compared to Antours River Tubing on the Layou River, also a HAL excursion. Having done the Layou River 5 or six times I can tell you, that there are life jackets and helmets provided along with many young men to help you along the way. On the "Much More" tour, there was little help, low water and a long ride in a diseal stinky bus. I did that tour once and will never do it again.

thank you for you honest reply i really apretiate it , since i am traveling with the 9 year old child wich one would you suggest (i was told that much more was much slowe pace and much calmer to do with small kids?) is the much more river tubing tour is something that she (9 year old) can do?

I would feel much safer on the Layou River tubing because there are at least six or seven young men stationed at every point in the river where there might be an issue. Yes, the water is deeper on the Layou, but you are therefore less likely to hit bottom etc. There was very little help on the "Much More" tour and many bigger people ending up walking much of the course as the water was too shallow. I hardly ever complain about excursions, but this one time I made an exception. It was poorly organized, and poorly run. JMO mind you, however we have done them both. I would be very comfortabloe taking a nine year old on the Layou River.

I have done the river tubing twice in Dominica and laughed the entire time. It is sooooooo much fun. Your kid will just love it. I have also done the whale watching and champagne reef snorkel in Dominica. Awesome. We did not see a whale but the snorkeling made up for it. Champagne Reef has bubbles coming out of the bottom resembling champagne and really hot water coming out too. Either one is fabulous. I am doing the Whale Watching and Champagne Reef thingy in Feb. Can't wait.

We like your suggestion. Is that the Whale Watch & Snorkel Adventure? It doesn't mention Champagne Reef. We will be there in February too. It is a first for us - Dominica; only our second cruise. Appreciate any advice you may have. I cannot decide; there are so many interesting sights to see and things to do in Dominica. Thanks. Salzburg Duo

I would feel much safer on the Layou River tubing because there are at least six or seven young men stationed at every point in the river where there might be an issue. Yes, the water is deeper on the Layou, but you are therefore less likely to hit bottom etc. There was very little help on the "Much More" tour and many bigger people ending up walking much of the course as the water was too shallow. I hardly ever complain about excursions, but this one time I made an exception. It was poorly organized, and poorly run. JMO mind you, however we have done them both. I would be very comfortabloe taking a nine year old on the Layou River.

I have to agree here - I read your post yesterday and wanted to say NO WAY for a kid - but did not want to be a party pooper. I took the "Much More" last year and was terrified too often to really enjoy it- rocks everywhere, people falling of the tubes often. While I have not taken this Layou option, I have tubed in many other places and loved it, so I am not a sissy. Recommend you take Toad's advice.

Think about it - there must be a reason they require crash helmets....

Whatever you decide, enjoy.

but we paid for the tour already what should we do?

the reason we chose that optin is because they told us it requrres less activity it was onlu 2person ( next to tour description) instead of 3 person next to layo gorge river tubing tour

should i chance it to the layo gorge?

hal charged my credid card already and my cruise is on jan 3 i feel worry a bit now:confused:

I am sure if you call HAL and ask to have the money transfered to the Layou river excursion they will be happy to acomodate you. I cannot imagine this will be a problem.

And by the way, this is the first time (November 2008) that they gave us helmets, and it is my understanding that the reason was because the company had new owners who were very concerned with safety. In ALL previous trips we have taken on the Layou River we never had safety helmets. If you look online I believe the company name is Antour River Tubing or something close in Domenica. They have a website with pictures etc. That may make you feel better.

but we paid for the tour already what should we do?

If you decide to switch tours, you can do it the first day aboard with no problem. If there's an additional charge, it goes on your shipboard account. If there's a refund due, that, too, goes on your shipboard account as a credit.

I am sure if you call HAL and ask to have the money transfered to the Layou river excursion they will be happy to acomodate you. I cannot imagine this will be a problem.

And by the way, this is the first time (November 2008) that they gave us helmets, and it is my understanding that the reason was because the company had new owners who were very concerned with safety. In ALL previous trips we have taken on the Layou River we never had safety helmets. If you look online I believe the company name is Antour River Tubing or something close in Domenica. They have a website with pictures etc. That may make you feel better.

is hal river tubing and much more tour are contracted with Antour River Tubing ?

We did the Antours Layou tubing on our own (not through HAL) off the Noordam in November. I am in risk management so really watching their safety program, and my DH is an engineer. We were very impressed with Antours. If your little daughter is in any uncomfortable situation they will have a guide hold her tube the whole way, if needed. They had lots of experienced people in the water with us. Keep in mind that the tours all depend on the river levels, and if there has been heavy rain they will cancel as the flow is too fast and dangerous. If it is very dry, they may also cancel because the water level is too low to go over the rocks and rapids. Our impression was that Antours would not compromise safety so would cancel if it is at all doubtful. Better safe than sorry!!!!

VIP.... BE SURE YOU TAKE WATER SHOES FOR YOU AND DAUGHTER. BARE FEET ARE A VERY BAD IDEA!!!

I am sure you will have a lot of fun. It was one of the highlights of our cruise.

We did the Antours Layou tubing on our own (not through HAL) off the Noordam in November. I am in risk management so really watching their safety program, and my DH is an engineer. We were very impressed with Antours. If your little daughter is in any uncomfortable situation they will have a guide hold her tube the whole way, if needed. They had lots of experienced people in the water with us. Keep in mind that the tours all depend on the river levels, and if there has been heavy rain they will cancel as the flow is too fast and dangerous. If it is very dry, they may also cancel because the water level is too low to go over the rocks and rapids. Our impression was that Antours would not compromise safety so would cancel if it is at all doubtful. Better safe than sorry!!!!

VIP.... BE SURE YOU TAKE WATER SHOES FOR YOU AND DAUGHTER. BARE FEET ARE A VERY BAD IDEA!!!

I am sure you will have a lot of fun. It was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Did the tubing with Antours on Christmas Day. Booked directly with them. Definitely recommend it, Those guys are great. I am nervous in the water and let them know. I had a guide with me the whole time. My Mum at 78 is the oldest female to do the tubing and also had a guide with her. She wanted to do it again when we got to the end! Wear the water shoes.

Archived