Port civi to fco airport with only 4.5 hours

My DH and I are ending our 20 Mediterranean Adventure with HAL in the Civitavecchia port. The ship ports at 7AM and out flight home is at 11:35 at FCO airport? is this cutting it too close?? If we should be held up by customs or anyother unforseeable problem, will HAL help you rebook your flight?? Any suggestions??

:confused:

In my opinion you are cutting it too close. You really need to be at FCO airport at least 2 hours before your flight, and it is at best an hour's drive from Civitavecchia to the airport (it can be longer). For me there are too many "ifs": if your ship is late docking, if clearance takes longer than expected, if there is traffic on the road, if the airport is unusually crowded..... With such a tight timeframe, any one of these could mean missing your flight.

I doubt that HAL will assist you unless you book the air through them. If you ARE booking through them, they will probably make every effort to get you there on time, including priority disembarkation. However, I still wouldn't take it as I'm a worrier.

In my opinion you are cutting it too close. However, I still wouldn't take it as I'm a worrier.

So am I but my DH has the philosphy that it will be fine... but if not then it will be my fault for not booking a later flight:(.

BA has this flight package they do and this is their return flight time. don't know if I can get a later flight..

So am I but my DH has the philosphy that it will be fine... but if not then it will be my fault for not booking a later flight:(.

BA has this flight package they do and this is their return flight time. don't know if I can get a later flight..

SOOO, there is no later connecting flight out of FCO to Heathrow with non stop back to Colorado, USA, on British Airways. If I were to book the flight out for the next day can anyone give me a wonderful hotel near FCO to stay in overnight? :confused:

If you book the same flight out the next day, I would opt to stay in Rome rather than at the airport. Your flight isn't so early that getting to the airport will be a problem and you can enjoy the city all day and evening before you go.

However, if you are set on a hotel at the airport, there is a Hilton right at FCO that is frequently recommended by others: http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d228406-Reviews-Hilton_Rome_Airport_Hotel-Rome_Lazio.html

I would have to concur with what cruisemom42 said. We have stayed near the airport prior to a next days flight (albeit early) and in Rome also (9:15 flight.) We had no problem making the 9:15 flight - time to spare for coffee and a roll.

Stay in Rome and enjoy a nice leisurely dinner in a good restaurant. Savor the moment(s).

I would have to concur with what cruisemom42 said. We have stayed near the airport prior to a next days flight (albeit early) and in Rome also (9:15 flight.) We had no problem making the 9:15 flight - time to spare for coffee and a roll.

Stay in Rome and enjoy a nice leisurely dinner in a good restaurant. Savor the moment(s).

I guess I will, now the search is on for a nice reasonable hotel to spend the night in Rome.........don't want a pricey one since we will really only be sleeping in it. any help??

What price range are you thinking about?

somewhere around $200 give or take either way.:)

Here are some possibilities:

The Pantheon area is one of the most centrally located and nicest in the evenings -- plenty of nearby places for dinner and strolling to Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, etc. It would be my first choice. But it's also one of the most expensive. I've heard good things about the Santa Chiara Hotel with doubles at about 150 euro:

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/pantheon/hotel_santa_chiara.html?ref=27048

If you are more interested in spending your day near the sights of ancient Rome (Colosseum, Forum, Capitoline Museum, etc), there are a couple of hotels I can recommend:

Capo d'Africa, with doubles at 160 euro is a very nice hotel, but not quite as centrally located:

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/kolosseum/hotel_capo_d_africa.html?ref=27048

Hotel Artorius, with doubles at 140 euro, has consistently gotten great reviews on Tripadvisor (has been #1 or #2 in Rome). There are some very good restaurants, gelaterias, shops, etc in the vicinity. It is close to the Colosseum/Forum but also walkable to Trevi Fountain and other sights in the Historic Center. I almost stayed here on my recent trip:

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/kolosseum/hotel_artorius.html?ref=27048

If you are planning to take the train from Termini to the airport in the morning, you might want to stay near Termini, although it is not my favorite area. It's not seedy, exactly, just doesn't have a lot of charm compared to the other areas I've listed above. However, I've heard good things about this hotel (Hotel Canada), which is also a little cheaper than the others I've listed. The downside is that it is located on the far side of Termini, making it difficult to walk to sights; however, you can easily take the Metro located right next to the train station and which has access to both of the main subway lines.

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/marsala_termini/hotel_canada.html?ref=27048#information

I have more suggestions in the Pantheon area if you are interested. It's really my favorite area by far.

We did it! We were off the ship at 6:30 and had booked a shuttle van for 12 of us from our CC group. The driver was there and we left at 6:45. It took us 50 min to get to the airport and we were at the ticket counter by 8:00. We were sitting at the gate before 9:00 for our 11:15 flight. Some on our shuttle had a 10:40 flight that they made with no problems. This was on a Thursday morning-not much traffic at all.

it is at best an hour's drive from Civitavecchia to the airport (it can be longer).

Was this your experience or something posted here? All the research I did before our cruise indicated it was LESS than an hour and it only took us 50 minutes. I realize the day of the week and the time of the day is a factor, but for us it was a weekday morning at 6:45. If you look at a map, you do not go back into Rome from the port at Civi, but follow the coastline which is out of the city.

The question seems to be....do you want to spend an extra day near Romes to avoid an extra 3 hour stop in Chicago, or DFW etc. For me, I would take the extra stop and be home a day earlier.

there is no connecting flight into Chicago or DFW. It is a flight from FCO to Heathrow then direct into DIA, so the layover is not really the issue. It is more whether or not I can disembark the ship and get thru customs and the airport security in 4 hours.

Was this your experience or something posted here? All the research I did before our cruise indicated it was LESS than an hour and it only took us 50 minutes. I realize the day of the week and the time of the day is a factor, but for us it was a weekday morning at 6:45. If you look at a map, you do not go back into Rome from the port at Civi, but follow the coastline which is out of the city.

It took us 65 minutes in light traffic. Our driver was not particularly speedy, but then we weren't in a rush either. I have also seen some bad traffic snarls around the airport where nothing is moving.

As I said initially, if all goes well it can certainly be done. I just personally wouldn't chance it.

We did it! We were off the ship at 6:30 and had booked a shuttle van for 12 of us from our CC group. The driver was there and we left at 6:45. It took us 50 min to get to the airport and we were at the ticket counter by 8:00. We were sitting at the gate before 9:00 for our 11:15 flight. Some on our shuttle had a 10:40 flight that they made with no problems. This was on a Thursday morning-not much traffic at all.

The OP's ship does not dock until 7:00 am, so it would likely be 7:30 or later before they could disembark. And traffic does pick up as it gets a little later....

somewhere around $200 give or take either way.:)

You might want to consider the Hotel Dolomite. About a 5-8 minute walk from Termini (out front and to the right.) Three star hotel in the $150 US range. Quite nice for the money. Just google the name + Rome and you'll find it. Stayed there in Oct and would do so again.

The OP's ship does not dock until 7:00 am, so it would likely be 7:30 or later before they could disembark. And traffic does pick up as it gets a little later....

Our documents said 7:00 also, but we were actually at the pier at 5:00. (our last port stop was Naples) We had read here on the boards that the ships are usually at the port early, and they let you off early, especially if your last port stop is close.

I guess we were lucky. :)

My DH and I are ending our 20 Mediterranean Adventure with HAL in the Civitavecchia port. The ship ports at 7AM and out flight home is at 11:35 at FCO airport? is this cutting it too close?? If we should be held up by customs or anyother unforseeable problem, will HAL help you rebook your flight?? Any suggestions??

Unless you purchased your flight from HAL, they have no obligations to you at all and not only can't, but won't help you with your flight. If you did purchase the air through them, just call them and discuss it with them, or your agent.

If you booked your own flight, call the airline, they will usually let you change it, with a fee.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no personal experience to judge by, however DH and I have an 11:15 flight back home, so I have done some research. Our cruise returns at 4 AM (yes, that is four) and I was told HAL was not recommending flights before 10:30, I believe, (10?...too many notes to find it). I was also told to ask for "early departure", so we would be OFF by 7 AM, take our luggage, and arrange for car service!

Stay over night and don't worry!

Karen

I agree with KAY240. Stay overnight and do not worry. I believe she as referring to self-disembarcation--where yo do not have your luggage out the night before for pickup, but keep luggage with you and get off early. You have to be able to handle all the luggage by yourself.

Instead I would suggest staying at the Hilton airport- especially if it is a weekend. The rate is very low on the weekend and they have a free shuttle in to Rome that drops off and picks up near the Campidiglio. We plan to drop off our bags that morning and then go into Rome for the day and return later. We will already be at the airport for the next morning's flight-- no rush- no worry about traffic problems or strikes.

I think that you will have plenty of time to disembark the ship and be at the airport in time for your 11:15 flight. We also have flown out of FCO and did curbside checkin and had plenty of time to sit and wait for our flights.

The ships dock early at Civi and you should be able to get off the ship very early. When you fill out your disembarkation forms you will be asked what time your flight is and they will give you early disembarkation. Some of the cruises allow you to take your own luggage off the ship so you don't have to go to the luggage area to retrieve your luggage.

We had very early flights on our last cruise which docked in Barcelona and were off the ship by 6:30 am and sitting at the airport by 7:00 am. Our flights left at 10 am. It is about an hour's drive to FCO but if you were off the ship no later than 7 am you would be at the airport by 8:00 am, give or take the traffic. You still have plenty of time to check in. You don't clear customs until you reach your final destination so only need to check your luggage in. As long as you have arranged transportation to the airport you should be fine.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

We have the same issue for a Princess cruise arriving on August 8th. Princess suggests that you don't schedule your departing flight before 1:00 pm. We are able to take a flight later that afternoon, but have to spend the night in Amsterdam before returning to the US the next day. If I were you I'd stay in Rome. We have stayed at the Hotel Scalinata di Spagna (google for website) located at the top of the Spanish Steps and it was a great hotel for us, the price includes a very nice rooftop breakfast. Very reasonable and in a wonderful location. They arranged transporation to the airport for us on our day of departure.

I have gotten off HAL (Westerdam) a few years back in Rome.

We booked the cruise line transfer to the FCO, stayed overnight at the Hilton at the FCO (which is very expensive, $300+ US).

We are going in and out of FCO on the Celebrity Equinox in 10/09. Staying at the Marriott at FCO (around $200 US) before going on the ship; and have booked a 1pm flight back to Paris.

Based on previous experience I would not want to risk missing a flight or feeling like I need to rush with a lot of luggage. We are retired, age 75/62 -- take our time, don't want to stress or rush. Would prefer to wait a couple of hours for a flight vs worry about missing one.

So it really depends on your travel style. You probably will make if if there are no unforseen problems.

Good luck and happy cruising.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived