LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

Looks like "another fine mess".....

Patti & Big Booper--I was looking at the Jewel TA (we did it 2 years ago) and wondering why it is so much more than the other ta's. Do either of you know? It is about $1k more (or more). I would like to do the Indy again but not on those dates!

Have no idea...............and they even canceled St. John's Newfoundland on us due to the high cost of fuel!:eek:

Yep saw that JC. Wasn't thinking when I posted that so thanks for your efforts.

Today they are at sea steaming towards St. Maarten tomorrow.

Arrr, the pirate day cruise in St Maarten!! I remember it fondly!!

Am I guessing correctly that Carol would've been an awesome addition to our excursion?

Arrr, the pirate day cruise in St Maarten!! I remember it fondly!!

Am I guessing correctly that Carol would've been an awesome addition to our excursion?

Oh I'm certain that Carol would be an awesome addition to any excursion.:D

Patti & Big Booper--I was looking at the Jewel TA (we did it 2 years ago) and wondering why it is so much more than the other ta's. Do either of you know? It is about $1k more (or more). I would like to do the Indy again but not on those dates!

I think the dates and the itinerary (even without Newfoundland) are part of the reason for the higher prices. Also the fact that it is the Jewel and has that wonderful Solarium with its retractable roof makes her very popular if you are crossing the Atlantic even in September. For us it is the fact that she ends up in Boston, so we can walk off the ship and be home in less than half an hour. Keep an eye on the prices though and you may see them lowered closer in to the sailing date if they are having trouble filling the ship.

That sounds lovely right now. :D Did you see where some "thing" went off on a reply of mine to you. Classic.

In an attempt to stay exactly on topic, where is Carol and the rest of the gang right now? Too many posts for me to go thru to find the daily schedule Theron posted a few days ago. :D

jc

:) It's on Page 2 of the other thread started by GLGolfer. At least for me. For most folks, it's probably on Page 4. (Post #70)

Wed Jan 7 At Sea

Thu Jan 8 St. Maarten 7:00am 6:00pm

Theron

This thread is wonderful and informative. First time I have posted but I've been reading since Carol boarded. I am really enjoying reading all the posts. Patti seems familiar but I can't find a cruise we were both on. Others make me want to cruise with them. So, please keep talking while we await Carol's latest updates.

It's more expensive because it's a popular ship, a popular itinerary, a good time of year, and the cruise line is obviously not having any trouble filling the ship. It's all about supply and demand. That's what always determines the price.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO....................they can't do that.:mad::mad:

Everybody's invoice had the fuel surcharge "added" to it. Then in December they decided to eliminate it. They said if your cruise was paid in full the refund would appear as on OBC. If your invoice was not paid then it would be subtracted.

So the folks that have it appearing as an OBC are getting the royal screws put to them. The folks that haven't paid in full yet are getting the better deal.

That's NOT RCI's money to keep. If you receive it as an OBC than you are entitled to it back in the form of cash if you chose not to spend it because it belongs to you in the first place.

I don't know if they changed their policy in the past couple of weeks, but we got a CASH refund for the fuel surcharge via our TA. That was when they first announced the rebate. If we got cash, everyone else should, too.

I don't know if they changed their policy in the past couple of weeks, but we got a CASH refund for the fuel surcharge via our TA. That was when they first announced the rebate. If we got cash, everyone else should, too.

I agree with you..........but you got your fuel surcharge refund from your TA. Some of the folks on the Mariner who made final payment prior to the December 16th, I believe, announcement are to get their refunds in the form of an OBC while on board. So, in IMHO, they should be able to go to the Pursers Desk and ask for that particular OBC paid to them in cash.......since it was their money to begin with.

I have a question for anyone onboard the Mariner, but first I'll apologize to everyone who is going to moan out loud when they read my question: I'm just curious, but earlier this year all the $10 'stuff' had been raised in price to $15 - with less than a full ship and the economy in such turmoil, did the 'stuff' prices roll back to $10? Like I said, sorry to everyone, but I just had to ask :D

I agree with you..........but you got your fuel surcharge refund from your TA. Some of the folks on the Mariner who made final payment prior to the December 16th, I believe, announcement are to get their refunds in the form of an OBC while on board. So, in IMHO, they should be able to go to the Pursers Desk and ask for that particular OBC paid to them in cash.......since it was their money to begin with.

Executive Vice President Brian Rice (BRice@rccl.com) is the person to write to...........as he runs the revenue department..........and when my D+ gal put me on hold, she called his department for clarification.

If enough complain........maybe we all can get it turned back around.

I'm just the messenger here!!

Rick

So, we were walking down the Royal Promenade this morning (Cindy and I), and who comes walking towards us, trying to look inconspicuous with their gorgeous golden locks shoved up under nondescript caps? Matthew and Gunnar!!!!!

Hey Carol, It's Cincy-David. Will you please do me the favor of telling Cindy that I said hello and hope that she and the rest of you are having a great time.

Thanks

Dave

I have a question for anyone onboard the Mariner, but first I'll apologize to everyone who is going to moan out loud when they read my question: I'm just curious, but earlier this year all the $10 'stuff' had been raised in price to $15 - with less than a full ship and the economy in such turmoil, did the 'stuff' prices roll back to $10? Like I said, sorry to everyone, but I just had to ask :D

I too read that things will be increased to $15.00, but on our last cruise on the Mariner in late Sept, early Oct., it was priced $10.00. ;)

We can ask this question to MM.

Executive Vice President Brian Rice (BRice@rccl.com) is the person to write to...........as he runs the revenue department..........and when my D+ gal put me on hold, she called his department for clarification.

If enough complain........maybe we all can get it turned back around.

I'm just the messenger here!!

Rick

But Rick....

Knowing you and Bobbie have you ever had OBC be refunded??????:confused::confused::confused:

Only once we did. Never again as we live for the day.:)

Thanks to the information. I did not know that you can use other companies to tour Russia. And yes, you need a visa to tour on your own. ;)

We used Alla and when we arrived in St. Petersburg we were instructed to have a copy of our passport and our original passport plus a copy of our tour agreement. When we debarked the ship we went into a building where the copy was taken from us and our passport was examined and stamped. We were given a red card which was a permit to enter the country. When we came back to the ship we had to give back the red card as proof that we were approved as we entered. It's not as stressful as it sounds.

I am not sure if some of you have excursions planned when you get to Bahia, but I spoke to someone who goes there twice a year. It was suggested you visit the Church of St. Francis in the upper city and for shopping in the lower city to go to the Mecado Modelo market place. Of course you might want to research these places but just a suggestion.

Great suggestion. We did the above.

Have no idea...............and they even canceled St. John's Newfoundland on us due to the high cost of fuel!:eek:

What a shame.. We really enjoyed that port on the Jewel this past Sept.

I too needed a visa to visit France in 1987- it was after the bombings in Paris and it was a requirement for about a year or so, part of the country's increased security plan.

DW and I traveled France in 1988 and had to have a visa then also. Had to expedite due to short notice of trip. We received our passports back from French Consulate in SF with two days to spare - whheeww:eek:.

Here is what a Voyager class Promenade bulkhead door looks like. I would hate to be on the Mariner if these babies are shut every night.

2664415450096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

It was just that once. But things have picked up "somewhat" at night.

There are others in the pub with us now at night, people in the Schooner Bar singing along with Simeon, although not so much with the so-called late -night Schooner Bar pianist.

I skipped the show tonight, Front Row, because I just saw it.

Dinner was another delight, and we think that we have come to an understanding with the assistant maitre d'. We will have our own large "section" of the dining room on the next leg, and be permitted to move around within that section at will.

I just said "good-bye" to Matthew and Gunnar. :( They were sitting at Ben & Jerry's/Café Promenade, looking all golden and tattooed. ;) I invited them to run around St. Maarten with us (:D), but alas, they go straight to the airport in the morning.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the reply, I was Harriton High School class of '74, moved to Detroit suburbs 28 years ago. I knew lots of kids from your HS from "overnight" camp in the Poconos! I love reading all your posts, and you always have great info...... will go Diamond next Christmas (or earlier if I can talk DH into going another time;)). I always try to use your sage advice with all your experience! Have fun!

Kitty

I'll bet that it was Pine Forest! ;) We are a year apart, Kitty. :D

Archived