Obstructed Staterooms

jell

I just booked a voyage and I am in B6 8015. Has anyone stayed in this stateroom? Also, what is the differentiation between B5 and B6, since they are both considered obstructed categories. I realize some are less obstructed than others, but they were not available.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I just booked a voyage and I am in B6 8015. Has anyone stayed in this stateroom? Also, what is the differentiation between B5 and B6, since they are both considered obstructed categories. I realize some are less obstructed than others, but they were not available.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have visited in cabin 8013 and it has a great view. I believe that the view in 8015 will be pretty well blocked. This is a link to a thread where some specific obstructed view cabins are noted.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=776505&highlight=obstructed

Beth

We're sailing on the QM2 to NY on June 13th. We're also in a B6 cabin, although we don't know the number. Will try and find out soon. It seems these cabins are larger than others, so that's one bonus. We've just been on the Ventura in November, and we had an outside cabin with an obstructed view, and it was fine. But then, there weren't any lifeboats outside our window! It seems the B6 balcony cabins have 'sheltered balconies' which I've found they have an open window in them, but they're not completely open - if you know what I mean? I think I saw it on the video on the Cunard site.

8015 is totally obstructed by a lifeboat. I always book 8013 and I know that next door (8015) is obstructed. The size of the B6 cabins is no different than any other. On my Oct TA I sailed in 8075...same size. And my first trip on QM2 was in 11059....same size.

garfunkle...perhaps the "window" you are referring to having seen is actually one of the in hull cabins...they have a large opening (no window) on top but are the solid steel of the hull below, thus obstructing any view of the water if one is sitting.

Personally I spend so little time in my cabin on this wonderful ship that it really doesn't matter, and strangely, I seldom use the balcony at all....too many other great places to enjoy the views from.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

We're sailing on the QM2 to NY on June 13th. We're also in a B6 cabin, although we don't know the number. Will try and find out soon. It seems these cabins are larger than others, so that's one bonus. We've just been on the Ventura in November, and we had an outside cabin with an obstructed view, and it was fine. But then, there weren't any lifeboats outside our window! It seems the B6 balcony cabins have 'sheltered balconies' which I've found they have an open window in them, but they're not completely open - if you know what I mean? I think I saw it on the video on the Cunard site.

The B5 and B6 cabins are obstructed view not sheltered balconies. I believe B1, B2, B3 and B4 are the sheltered balconies. Like others, I really like the obstructed view cabins. I have had both a sheltered cabin and an obstructed view cabin. Personally, I prefer the obstructed view cabin. However, I understand that the sheltered might be better for a transatlantic cruise.

I've sailed in obstructed (lifeboat), unobstructed (glass railing) and in-hull (metal railing) cabins - and I enjoyed all of them. They are different - but all offer immediate bracing sea air - and a great sense of being 'outdoors' - but in different ways.

• The obstructed cabins have a lifeboat some distance in front of the balcony - so you can still see lots - and plenty of sky.
  • The unobstructed balconies give you a view of the promenade deck and the sea - but depending on location can be windy.
  • The in-hull balconies give you the closest connection with the sea - but are enclosed (but don't feel "enclosed").

I would not hesitate to book any of them again.

Peter

I just booked 8075 on the basis of the schematic shown by pb82, for which many thanks.

Has anyone had 8075, or seen it, and can offer an opinion?

I had 8075 for the Tandem Crossing with QE2 in Oct. Since my usual cabin was already booked, I picked this one from my deck plan for the same reason. WHile it was a tad more obstructed than the plan shows, it was perfectly fine for a crossing. Mostly I just cared about the light and fresh air but it was nice to get up and see the elegant QE2 thru the opening of the boats.

I'll try to post a couple of photos for you...if you look hard in one of them you will see QE2 as she appeared right off my balcony on my birthday morning...nice gift I thought!

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

DSC06707.jpg.73cf349b1e6a879e97c64673c62e6854.jpg

DSC06708.jpg.933d958f21e87aa3fe7582bdf8f269f0.jpg

DSC06972.jpg.59ecae3a608727372903b189f3c26561.jpg

Wabn1...I forgot to say that you can click on the small photo to enlarge it a bit. Since you appear to be a newer poster I wasn't sure if you knew that....enjoy the cabin, it's well located for a lot of things.

Cheers, Penny

I had 8075 for the Tandem Crossing with QE2 in Oct. Since my usual cabin was already booked, I picked this one from my deck plan for the same reason. WHile it was a tad more obstructed than the plan shows, it was perfectly fine for a crossing. Mostly I just cared about the light and fresh air but it was nice to get up and see the elegant QE2 thru the opening of the boats.

I'll try to post a couple of photos for you...if you look hard in one of them you will see QE2 as she appeared right off my balcony on my birthday morning...nice gift I thought!

Cheers, Penny

Would that be the birthday you kept hidden from us until midnight? ;)

Happy New Year Penny.

I have one of these obstructed views in July- 8058 I think it is.

Would that be the birthday you kept hidden from us until midnight? ;)

Happy New Year Penny.

I have one of these obstructed views in July- 8058 I think it is.

Hi Laura.....good to "see" you. And yes, that would be that pesky little birthday I kept to myself. I love a good secret and you know Rob would probably have done something silly at dinner. Sorry to have deprived you all of the cake...I told them to hold off on that too!:rolleyes:

Happy New Year to you...hope all is going well with you.

8058 looks to have a similar peek at the water as 8075 did....all I needed really and I didn't mind it at all. Have a great trip in July...where to?

Cheers, Penny

That's because I warned Penny that if you don't tell the Head Waiter or your waiter to hold the cake, the singing starts and whoops, everybody knows. I knew, and was duty-bound to keep the secret. Actually I'm not a whipped cream eater and the cake doesn't interest me. Now a plate of chocolate chips, that makes my day.

Linda

Blimey, I bet you could see the candles from space:eek:.

Your little friend, Sir Martin:cool:

Little friend, my A**! Don't you have a cat hostelry to get to, you beast?

(Have a wonderful voyage, Mary! I am leaving the office now, to grab the bags and the beloved and off we go! Wheee!)

Penny- 8 days as far down as Lisbon and then calling in several places on the way back. It replaces a Transatlantic they removed.

sir Martin- that was unfair- I happen to know that Penny was only 35 at that birthday- I know because she told me and I believe her.

(Have a wonderful voyage, Mary! I am leaving the office now, to grab the bags and the beloved and off we go! Wheee!)

Thank you Michael, and bon voyage to you and the beloved; I have completely lost the plot as to who is actually on your trip, but it certainly looks like a lively bunch.

Sir Martin says he doesn't do cat hostelries.

Mary

Ahhh Michael....my hero!! What a kind gentleman you are to come to my defense against that flea ravaged furball. Like having a knight in shining armour ride to the damsel's aid. Too bad you're about to board right now and miss this message!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Blimey, I bet you could see the candles from space:eek:.

Your little friend, Sir Martin:cool:

Were that the case you overblown reprobate I'd have aimed them in your direction and singed your worthless backside!!! What a birthday gift that would have been!!!:D

Have a great trip Mary....hoep this catches you before you go.

Cheers, Penny

Penny- 8 days as far down as Lisbon and then calling in several places on the way back. It replaces a Transatlantic they removed.

sir Martin- that was unfair- I happen to know that Penny was only 35 at that birthday- I know because she told me and I believe her.

Laura...sounds like a great trip and I"m sure you'll enjoy it....maybe not as much as our fun TA but nothing to sneeze at either.

And thanks for putting that CAT in its place....of course I told you the truth...as I know it!:rolleyes: Or would that be as I wish it were??

Without Linda's helpful warning I'd have lit up our delightful corner location!! I love it when someone can keep a nasty little secret!!:p

Cheers, Penny

Archived