ship in FLL--can I fly into PBI?

spam-la

The airfare is hundreds of dollars cheaper into PBI in comparison to FLL. Is it managable to rent a car and drive from PBI to the port in FLL? I am leaving on the IOS out of FLL and the flight from LAX to PBI is less than $100 each way. wow!!

I have only cruised out of PC, so I need help/info.

thanks, pam

Id say you can make the drive down I95 and to the port in about an hour, give or take for traffic. Its probably about 70 miles I would guess.

We used florida limo to pick us up from our house in Boca, but they will only drop you off at the ft. Lauderdale airport, not the port. If you can rent a car, works for me too.

Easy drive. There is a sign for the port coming down I95, that you have to be in the right lane to get off that is a mite tricky, but just allow some extra time. Its just before you go into Dade Cty that you need to exit for the port. Its a easy hop onto I95 from the airport in West Palm.

If you are flying into PBI on a weekend, you should be fine. Traffic can be a bear betweent PB and Ft Laud during the week espeically during rush hour and highway construction that seems to never end. Just give yourself enough time to get from point A to B and you will be fine.

Also, car rental companies sometimes charge you extra when you don't pick up/drop off at the same location so that could add more cost then expected....check that out before you book airfare and compare total costs.

I find you are always safe staying at a Hilton. Generally good properties in good locations....same goes for Ft Lauderdale.

Which ones are you looking at and I will be glad to tell you about the area.

As you head south on I-95 from Wst Palm Beach you will reach Fort Lauderdale. It could take forty minutes to one hour, depending on traffic.

At Fort Lauderdale, there will be separte exits for Commercial, Sunrise and Broward. Just after the Broward exit, you will see signs for Davie and for the airport and ports. You will exit I-95 to the right. It is a long, long exit road. Then you will reach a through road with a signal light. Turn LEFT. You will go over a long, high overpass and then blend into 595 East.

You will see the FLL airport on your right. Keep going East. Be very careful with the exits. Read signs carefully. Don't get off at the airport exit...a mistake I have made. The port exit is further east. Also don't exit onto US 1 South. The port exit is to the left of the US 1 South exit. You will actually be able to see cruise ship smoke stacks at this point.

You will have to go through a multiple gated area where attendents check your driver's license. Traffic often backs up here because the checks take awhile. After that, there are signs that tell you what ships are at what piers.

The West Palm Beach airport is a very nice airport.

Archived