Bring wine by case on embarkation?

zoncom

Yeah........You've got to love HAL's policy. We brought a case on board in Nov. on the Noordam. We have a small hand truck type cooler that we used to carry it on with. While we didn't actually take a bottle to dinner, we would fill our glasses from the room and bring them to the table. No Problems.

Nobody gave us a second look for bringing a case onboard. HAL has allowed this FOREVER!

DO NOT feel bad about bringing a case (or two) on board. The world cruisers bring cases and cases and cases onboard. No problem. They are told it is ok.

I don't feel bad. :)

It's our choice to buy our wine from the wine menu when aboard. Even when we sail Canada/New England cruises and board close to our home in Boston, we never bring wine with us.

I understand folks wanting to bring a little wine. I just wondered about cases.

Certainly, in all our cruising, we have noticed folks bringing wine and HAL does permit it.

sail7seas, everyone has a choice to do what they want, and this is why the different lines set policies. Obviously, this is what HAL feels is appropriate. You may want to order the wine on board, but with the collection I have at home, it is not likely that they will have the variety of wines that I do with the vintages that I have. This to me is part of my cruise experience. There are all kinds of things that cruise ships have done these days that they feel will attract passengers, like not restricting jeans in the main dining room at dinner. I don't think they made the right decision on this, but I am not the one making the rules.

I don't feel bad. :)

It's our choice to buy our wine from the wine menu when aboard. Even when we sail Canada/New England cruises and board close to our home in Boston, we never bring wine with us.

I understand folks wanting to bring a little wine. I just wondered about cases.

Certainly, in all our cruising, we have noticed folks bringing wine and HAL does permit it.

I think I would not blink if I were going on a long cruise and saw cases being rolled on but the shorter cruise would be interesting. Imagine just going on a cruise for 7 days and dragging a case or two of wine. lol

We're on a 10 day cruise and we'll bring a bottle of our favorite for the room as we ordered a bottle of the bubbly from the ship services already and a few other items. I see your point with the shorter trips like the one I'll be on and the cases being loaded. I doubt anyone cares but HAL may revisit it if they feel it is being overdone and set limits per passenger.

I think I would not blink if I were going on a long cruise and saw cases being rolled on but the shorter cruise would be interesting. Imagine just going on a cruise for 7 days and dragging a case or two of wine. lol

That is exactly about which I am speaking. DH is not retired and all our cruises are 14 days or less. What with pre and post cruise stays, that is the longest he can be away.

When I see people dragging cases of wine on for a ten day cruise, it catches my attention.

I always think to myself....... Hmmm, if folks bring a few bottles, great! No problem and I fully understand that and HAL absolutely permits it. But, for people to drag cases onboard for a ten day cruise, how long will it be before HAL decides too many are taking advantage of their policy and start banning us bringing any.

Just my personal speculation.

Do what you want. Not anything off my back either way as I have mentioned we never bring anything anyway. If some folks bringing so much, in time, ruins it for all, so be it.

That is exactly about which I am speaking. DH is not retired and all our cruises are 14 days or less. What with pre and post cruise stays, that is the longest he can be away.

When I see people dragging cases of wine on for a ten day cruise, it catches my attention.

I always think to myself....... Hmmm, if folks bring a few bottles, great! No problem and I fully understand that and HAL absolutely permits it. But, for people to drag cases onboard for a ten day cruise, how long will it be before HAL decides too many are taking advantage of their policy and start banning us bringing any.

Do what you want. Not anything off my back either way as I have mentioned we never bring anything anyway. If some folks bringing so much, in time, ruins it for all, so be it.

Sail,

Agree with you on this one, but for the fact that it is totally not breaking the rules. Now, back to why I can't bring on my favorite 15 year scotch, which they don't carry....one bottle, not a whole case...:D

Now, since I have NO clue as to how long other passenger will be on board (last time we boarded for 23 days, others for 3) or how much entertaining they plan on hosting in their cabin/suite - I don't bother speculating. HAL allows it, it is fine.

That is just good and solid logic. Considering other ships don't allow it, if HAL feels at some point there is an abuse and it is taking away from their bottom line by a higher degree, I can see them revisiting it. I think that it is a good reminder to all that abusing it may directly impact future cruisers. It doesn't mean that no one should bring what they need, just don't overdo it just because you can.

• 3 years later...

What we usually do on HAL is fill an old container I bought from a freighter (u know -- those huge things trucks haul around!) and HAL just cranes it onboard and puts it on the bow for us to use. Were able to bring 1,000 bottles!:cool::cool::cool: (NOT) But it is fun entering the fray. We are going to carry four bottles on a buy more in the ports (like Vanuatu) where it is very reasonable duty free.

Suprised by previous posters saying not to trust giving it to a porter. We had a case well packed from Total Wine, put on a luggage tag, gave the porter a nice tip and voila - arrived quite safely!

HAL has no restriction on bringing wine aboard. I imagine they are happy enough to charge $18 corkage fee in the restauants, bars, and lounges.

In any case, I don't accept the premise implied by some posters that a case of wine is abusing, or overdoing it. Some people drink a little bit of wine and are happy with HAL's wine list. Others (me) may prefer wines not on the wine list - for whatever reason. I'll be purchasing 10 or 12 bottles in Seattle for our next cruise (14 days). I'm OK with paying the corkage fee, and HAL should be OK to get $18 to open the bottle and dispose of it when empty.

I agree! I absolutely loathed the Pinot Grigio that they served so during happy hour I would have sauvignon blanc. I drank my Pinto Gris in my cabin and also took it to the restaurants.

Archived