Waves in the Gulf of Mexico?

clover_cruiser

I will be leaving in February 2009 for my third cruise with NCL. This will be my first time on board the Spirit and my first time passing through the Gulf of Mexico.

During my previous two cruises, we sailed further out into the Atlantic and encountered unusually large waves both times. Not surprisingly, I spent my first day at sea feeling pretty ill.

Because the Gulf of Mexico is a tad more sheltered, I’m wondering if the waves are generally a little calmer? Can anyone comment / compare the Gulf vs. the Atlantic? I’m hoping that the ride will be slightly gentler. If not…God bless my sea bands and medication - LOL

Thanks everyone and happy cruising!

CC

The waves are a function of the weather and to some degree the depth of the water. If there is heavy wind for several days, there will be waves in any body of water. The Gulf is shallow close to shore, so waves will be closer togther and higher than in deep water.

The Atlantic, east of the gulf stream, can be rough, especially in the winter months when storm tend to come from the north east....the waves have several thousnd miles to get built up without any land in their way.

Short answer .... there will be waves. How they affect the ship, you can't tell in advance, and can't do anything about it.

You can minimize the motion in your cabin by selecting one that is in the middle of the ship --- deck 4 or 5, near the middle elevators,inside cabin.

Just remember your sea bands. You might want to try ginger capsules or bring a box of ginger snap cookies to help too.

I will be leaving in February 2009 for my third cruise with NCL. This will be my first time on board the Spirit and my first time passing through the Gulf of Mexico.

During my previous two cruises, we sailed further out into the Atlantic and encountered unusually large waves both times. Not surprisingly, I spent my first day at sea feeling pretty ill.

Because the Gulf of Mexico is a tad more sheltered, I’m wondering if the waves are generally a little calmer? Can anyone comment / compare the Gulf vs. the Atlantic? I’m hoping that the ride will be slightly gentler. If not…God bless my sea bands and medication - LOL

We just got back from the Spirit through the Gulf of Mexico, and I was surprised at how rough it was but it was nothing like the seas coming from Miami or on the Pacific side of Mexico. They had sea sickness bags out one night, but I only felt unsteady on my feet a couple of times.

Viv

then, sometimes, it's a smooth as glass...we never saw a white cap the whole week. but there were no storms the week before, for 1,000 miles in either direction. felt strange to have no waves...very little sway to the ship for that week, no up/down motion. BUT this is very unusual.

1770346556_Greatphotoops.jpg.24e7b0caf1bcacf75e511761c236330a.jpg

638555999_GoodbyBelize.jpg.6428568aba39d38e1847f12f264e0eab.jpg

As I understand, it totally depends on the weather. Early December we had 12' seas with 30 knot winds for 2 days and a lot of swells due to a cold front moving through. Ship was rocking and rolling. Best thing is to take precautions. I am susceptible to motion sickness so I started Ginger pills several days before cruising, and Bonine at night before bed. When it got rough, I put on the Seabands and had absolutely no problem. May have been overkill but it worked for me! Don't stress over it. Take precautions and enjoy your cruise.;)

Bill

Our last cruise on the Spirit was smooth as silk and have to admit I was a little disappointed. I do like to feel the movement of the ship.....that said I mean a little movement! Will be prepared this year with dramine, seabands, ginger and peppermint.

countdown.pl?name=kcwingwalker&date=1-25-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Norwegian Spirit

• 3 weeks later...
then, sometimes, it's a smooth as glass...we never saw a white cap the whole week. but there were no storms the week before, for 1,000 miles in either direction. felt strange to have no waves...very little sway to the ship for that week, no up/down motion. BUT this is very unusual.

WOW! I can't believe how still the water looks. I have yet to encounter calm seas. On past cruises the only time things smoothed out was once we hit some of the islands.

Gotta love getting off the ship and feeling like the land is swaying a little - LOL

I've been on two cruises through the Gulf of Mexico and I found that on the first one, which had great weather, it was definitely rougher crossing the deeper water than near ports, but it wasn't bad. On the second one, however, we had some pretty bad weather, and the waves were really big. My daughter's friend spent a couple of nights in bed sick. I recommend taking meds with you if you suffer from sea sickness. Talk to your doctor about prescriptions or patches. Any cruise ship can encounter rough seas; it's better to be prepared. :)

We have sailed out of New Orleans twice and I have to tell you. .it is our favorite port. One because of the city.. but also because of the short ride down the Mississippi river getting to the gulf. We love that part.

You might encounter waves, however I can tell you from our two cruises on that route that the waves have been nothing in comparison to leaving out of Miami, Seattle or LA. I do caution you to take something for sea sickness just in case, but I think the chances of you needing it are a lot less on the Spirits route.

Thanks folks. I purchased some ginger pills and have sea bands to use if things get bad. I'm prone to sickness if the waves are "really" bad but I should be okay. Can't take any heavy meds right now as I may be expecting. Looks like I'll just have to tough it out and hope that it's a fairly smooth ride.

Happy cruising everyone :)

CC

you should have little if any problems with rough seas. being prepared is the secret, sounds like you are...

Of course there are no guarantees, the water can be a bit choppy anywhere. It was a little less than smooth near Belize in December. And our first cruise out of Houston, about 10 years ago was pretty rough much of the time, especially the first day and the last couple...

Nita

As I understand, it totally depends on the weather. Early December we had 12' seas with 30 knot winds for 2 days and a lot of swells due to a cold front moving through. Ship was rocking and rolling. Best thing is to take precautions. I am susceptible to motion sickness so I started Ginger pills several days before cruising, and Bonine at night before bed. When it got rough, I put on the Seabands and had absolutely no problem. May have been overkill but it worked for me! Don't stress over it. Take precautions and enjoy your cruise.;)

Bill

Bill were you on the Spirit the first week of Dec? We didn't have anything like that. I will say the water was a little rough near Belize and snorkeling in Cozumel wasn't as smooth as I had hoped it would be, but we didn't have anything like that.

Nita

Archived