Large Group Cruises

KAKcruiser

Large affinity groups can be a problem. We experienced a nightmare in Feb 1987 when we sailed on the Noordam. It took us many years to again sail on HAL. The ship was filled with Mercedes Auto dealership owners and their families. They were the most annoying people I have even met. I vowed that because of them I would NEVER buy a Mercedes no matter how much money I made in my life. Many of the public rooms were closed for their personal events during the day and in the evening. They saved masses of chairs by the pools. They were the most poorly behaved people I have ever met on any vacation. In recent cruises I have seen some large groups of people but NEVER like those on the Noordam in 1987.

I agree that large groups can be a problem. That's why I would like to know in advance so I can decide whether to go on that particular sailing. The HAL reps just say they have no access to that information. A couple of months ago someone printed a web site that listed groups but that web site is now closed down.

[quote name='Florida Lady']Large affinity groups can be a problem. We experienced a nightmare in Feb 1987 when we sailed on the Noordam. It took us many years to again sail on HAL. The ship was filled with Mercedes Auto dealership owners and their families. They were the most annoying people I have even met. I vowed that because of them I would NEVER buy a Mercedes no matter how much money I made in my life. Many of the public rooms were closed for their personal events during the day and in the evening. They saved masses of chairs by the pools. They were the most poorly behaved people I have ever met on any vacation. In recent cruises I have seen some large groups of people but NEVER like those on the Noordam in 1987.[/QUOTE]

[b]We experienced the same horrible situation that you describe on Ryndam a number of years ago when there was a very large group led by "Gertrude" (I'll never forget her or her name :( she was so ugly to the rest of us aboard). She had a large Irish group aboard who brought their own band for Irish Music. The people and their music were fine.[/b]

[b]What was not fine was that for 8 our of 10 nights we could not go to Crows Nest. They threw us out of aft pool all sea days at 2 PM so they could have a private party w/ their music out there and too bad about the rest of us who had paid our fares to use the whole ship.....not just a tiny corner of it. They took over the dining room and it was impossible for anyone who was not in their group to have full enjoyment of the ship. [/b]

[b]HAL should NEVER IMO allow a group to take over 75-80% of a ship and then subject the rest of the pax to such a bad experience. They should insist the group takes the whole ship.....or they simply do not sell the remaining available space to people who are not fully informed of what the situation will be once aboard. GREED dictates, as always!!![/b]

KAK,

This question has been asked many times in the past. Cruise lines just won't give out the information.

I know the web site you referred to. When it was in operation it only had a fraction of the group cruises that were available.

[font=Arial Narrow][size=3][color=indigo]Sail, [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=3][color=indigo]I can not believe you were kicked out of public areas for private group functions! I can not imagine a group that large taking over the entire ship, I am not one to make a scene but I would've been at the front desk complaining about having my cruise experience compromised because of the large group. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=3][color=indigo][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=3][color=indigo]On our recent Zuiderdam cruise there were two groups, one group from Acoustic Guitar Magazine and the other from a chain of cruise ship sales offices from Canada. We did have the leave the Crow's Nest once, in the middle of the afternoon, to accomodate the travel agents but other than that they were a great group. They sat by us in the dining room and were no problem at all. [/color][/size][/font]

[b]We most assuredly had a meeting with the GRM but, while she was the one who had to deal with it, it was not of her doing and there was little she could do about it. Seattle presented her with this situation and there was no way she was going to please 'all of the people'. Either the group or us were going to be unhappy. The large numbers of the group won :) [/b]

[b]We are not people who seek Compensation. We do not want to have something 'made up to us' by handing over money or future cruise credits. We want to enjoy all aspects of what we have purchased in the 'here and now'. We did not buy use of only 40% of the ship. No one informed us we would not have use of theCrowsnest after dinner. That is not acceptible IMO No one told us we would not be able to enjoy our usual spot at aft pool when we chose to be there etc [/b]

[b]Sometimes, however, there is not going to be a practical solution. The senior crew was very nice to us and others who were badly impacted. They did their best to salvage a vacation for us. But it is true that it is very difficult to find out if a large group is booked. I hope that never happens to us again. It was not pleasant.[/b]

We have been unfortunate to end up on a cruise where there were large groups sailing together. I, too, wish there was a way we could find out in advance when HAL is permitting groups of 300 or more to be on a ship. They do tend to take over everything.

We were fortunate on our last cruise that there were only 200 Grand Circle passengers and they only had a couple of parties when the lounges were closed for a short period of time.

Oh brother, my parent's had such a horrible experience with a group on a Celebrity cruise years ago that the rest of the passensgers filed a lawsuit against the cruise line for compensation. We are talking THROWING chaise lounges off the back of the ship, kids banging on the cabin walls at 3 a.m., running down the corridors yelling and screaming, total lawlessness day and night!

The case was settled out of court some nine months later, don't remember the settlement specifically, it was not a free cruise, but a substantial discount on another Celebrity cruise. My parents have since fallen in love with Celebrity on their subsequent cruises. I'm sure they will be happy with HAL as well.

One time there was a dance group which consisted of maybe a couple hundred people. They were okay. In fact, they invited the rest of the ship to their competition in the show lounge in the afternoon. They were quite good. But, they were a relatively small group and extremely well-mannered. However, I do think that the cruise lines should share this information. I worry about the extremely large groups who take over the ship.

[quote name='x lindsay x']I can not believe you were kicked out of public areas for private group functions! I can not imagine a group that large taking over the entire ship, I am not one to make a scene but I would've been at the front desk complaining about having my cruise experience compromised because of the large group.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that sounds strange to me too.

On my first cruise, I was part of a large writer's group that was having a conference aboard the Rotterdam. There were three separate "tracts," a retreat, a book lovers group and a writer's "challenge" at sea which involved everyone writing three pieces, one of which would be published in a special book being produced as a result of the cruise. Altogther, we were a pretty big group ... so big, in fact, that the travel agents who assisted the organization putting on the event got to travel along with the group for free.

While we did have exclusive use of some of the conference rooms and smaller lounges, we never took over any of the large public venues such as the crow's nest or the pool deck. Yes, we had some meetings in the crow's nest, and once they even opened the bar for us at a time when it was normally closed, but other passengers were in that area too ... we just congregated in one corner so that we could have a critique session.

I know I wouldn't be happy at all if I were told I couldn't use the pool, or sit in the crow's nest simply because a group had reserved it. That's really not fair to those not part of the group ... especially since they probably paid more for their fare than the group members do.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Its almost as bad as being in the Ocean Bar in the afternoons when there is an art auction going on. Trying to have a drink at the bar, converse with other pax, then the auctioneer comes over and asks you to be quiet!!....at this time the OB was open to the public. I just gave him a frozen stare and carried on with my conversation......jean :cool:

:D [b]He actually asked you to be quiet!! That's a rich one!![/b]

[b]Do they now close off Ocean Bar to everyone else when they have their auctions? We have sat at the bar a few times if it was a rainy day and they had the auction going on. We ignored them and had our back to the group as we were on the bar stools. I didn't know that now we can't use the bar if they are in there??[/b]

On our cruise on the Zuiderdam, the Intercontinental Pageant was going on. The Queen's Lounge was closed often, but other than that they were fine. I seriously didn't know about all the pageants there are out there. Everyone had their sashes on, and I saw Miss Junior America I think, who was only five years old, Miss Teen America, Miss Preteen America, Miss Junior Teen America, Miss Petite America, Mrs. America, and Miss America. And then they had them from most of the states. They were all very polite and didn't take over the larger public rooms or anything.
Kerry

Last summer going to Alaska there was a large group of Red Hats. It seemed about 25% of the passengers were in this group. They are ladies of a certain age who, for the most part, wear purple clothing and red hats. Some change their hats serveral times a day. They were great fun. The only thing I remember them taking over was the gift shops.

[quote name='teencruiser18']On our cruise on the Zuiderdam, the Intercontinental Pageant was going on. The Queen's Lounge was closed often, but other than that they were fine. I seriously didn't know about all the pageants there are out there. Everyone had their sashes on, and I saw Miss Junior America I think, who was only five years old, Miss Teen America, Miss Preteen America, Miss Junior Teen America, Miss Petite America, Mrs. America, and Miss America. And then they had them from most of the states. They were all very polite and didn't take over the larger public rooms or anything.
Kerry[/QUOTE]

[b]That sounds like a nice group to have been aboard the ship with you. These must have been some very outstanding young ladies. Presumably they are judged are far more than their beautiful, good looks. [/b]

[b]Did you enjoy them being aboard?[/b]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I just read on another board that Melissa Etheridge will be performing for an Olivia cruise on the Westerdam sometime next spring. I do not know if they book the entire ship, but if not, I would bet some of the HAL regulars would not be pleased to be cruising that week. :eek: [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Please before you bash me, please know I am not judging, I have close family and friends who I dearly love that are gay but I am not sure that some would feel comfortable cruising that week. :cool: [/color][/size][/font]

• 2 years later...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Wow. Looks like Park West is not the only group.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Not having use of the Crows Nest 8 out of 10 nights because of this Irish group must have been horrible. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Getting kicked out of the Aft pool for a private party is another example of Hal not caring about their passengers. [/SIZE][/FONT]

I find it very interesting that HAL has been closing the Crows Nest to regular passengers for practically entire cruises evidently for many years. All the talk here has been about Park West and the email from Margaret ? at Mariner Society made it sound like closing the Crows was practically a mistake and a one of a kind happening. Not so I guess.

[quote name='hammybee']The OP wrote this almost 3 years ago.

Were your intentions anything more than showing that an accommodation for a group is not a new phenomina?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I take exception to this. :mad: I see threads that are old, and posted to all the time. For example, that New York , New York thread was posted to recently and that is an old thread. I have not seen any rules about old threads. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My intentions are none of your business. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='hammybee']The OP wrote this almost 3 years ago. Were your intentions anything more than showing that an accommodation for a group is not a new phenomina?[/quote]

Frankly, I'm glad this thread got revived. I have been actively involved in the other threads on this topic and did not know about this one. Seeing the post about the dance group was actually helpful, because there will be a similar group on my cruise and the info in the post was reassuring.

Since there has been a lot of interest in this subject lately, I think reviving it was a fine idea. So is pointing out that it's a fairly old thread, in case people missed that, but I see no reasons to question the reviver's "intentions." Why would someone have an ulterior motive if all they are doing is calling relevant information to the attention of the group?

[quote name='O2B@C']Why would someone have an ulterior motive if all they are doing is calling relevant information to the attention of the group?[/quote]Is 3 yr old info relevant? (Some is, yes, but is this?)

But since the thread has been resurrected, it might as well be updated: there is now a way to find out about many (if not all) large groups on a sailing: [URL="http://www.wa70.com/hdisplay.php"]www.wa70.com/hdisplay.php[/URL]

Archived