Help with US Airlines

Chivalrygirl

icon1.gifHelp with US Airlines

Although this isn't a cruise question I wonder if some of you might be able to give their opinions on US Airways. We are looking at flying with them from DC to London and return in May. They are by far the cheapest fare available.

Experiences flying internationally with this airline would be so welcome.

Val

progress.gif

icon1.gifHelp with US Airlines

Although this isn't a cruise question I wonder if some of you might be able to give their opinions on US Airways. We are looking at flying with them from DC to London and return in May. They are by far the cheapest fare available.

Experiences flying internationally with this airline would be so welcome.

Val

progress.gif

Long discussion about US right here on the front page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=892648

I wouldn't make them my first choice to fly internationally, but how cheap is the airfare?

Long discussion about US right here on the front page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=892648

I wouldn't make them my first choice to fly internationally, but how cheap is the airfare?

Sees to be about $700 for the two of us. We travel on New Zealand dollars so to us that is a considerable savisng

Is it showing as non-stop from Washington to London or are you routing through CLT or PHL? If the former then it is actually on United but it is being sold as a US Airways flight thanks to codesharing.

No your right it is through PHD, but I couldnt see anything that said if was a code share. It kind of appeals that we can fly from National into Gatwick which suits us better and back again the same way.

but, now you have me worrked as I hate United grrrrrrrr

I had the audacity to challenge a very rude stewardess on my flight last July from IAD to LAX, and they threatened to have law enforcement officers meet the aircraft. I wasn't all that rude, I asked what food she had on her trolley and she told me to read page such and such in the magazine. So I politely told her that I was on the aircraft helping to pay her wages. Was I wrong ? I don't think so,

If it is through Philly, it will be on US Airways and not on United. I have flown US Airways internationally a couple of times and had good experiences. The aircraft on one of our return flights was older, but it was fine.

I would definitely fly them again.

No your right it is through PHD, but I couldnt see anything that said if was a code share. It kind of appeals that we can fly from National into Gatwick which suits us better and back again the same way.

but, now you have me worrked as I hate United grrrrrrrr

I had the audacity to challenge a very rude stewardess on my flight last July from IAD to LAX, and they threatened to have law enforcement officers meet the aircraft. I wasn't all that rude, I asked what food she had on her trolley and she told me to read page such and such in the magazine. So I politely told her that I was on the aircraft helping to pay her wages. Was I wrong ? I don't think so,

you cant fly fro DCA (national) to gatwick without going someplace else....on USairways you will go thru philly or charlotte...

usairways isnt EVER my first choice.....as they too have dirty planes and rude crews...

and no you weren't wrong...why on earth didnt she just say beef chicken or fsh! sheesh.

have you checked out options from Dulles (IAD)...you probably did....and IAD is far from my favorite airport but maybe there's another option for you! (you can get from DCA to IAD via bus, super shuttle, or washingtonn flyer-bus is a pain though!)

good luck

you cant fly fro DCA (national) to gatwick without going someplace else....on USairways you will go thru philly or charlotte...

usairways isnt EVER my first choice.....as they too have dirty planes and rude crews...

and no you weren't wrong...why on earth didnt she just say beef chicken or fsh! sheesh.

have you checked out options from Dulles (IAD)...you probably did....and IAD is far from my favorite airport but maybe there's another option for you! (you can get from DCA to IAD via bus, super shuttle, or washingtonn flyer-bus is a pain though!)

good luck

It is definitely a pain to get between DCA and IAD. Washington Flyer no longer directly connects the airports which makes it more of a pain than it used to be.

From IAD the main non-stop options would be British Air, Virgin or United (possibly BMI too).

Personally, if the price is as good as it sounds with US Airways I would go with them.

I've had dirty airplanes and rude crews on pretty much every airline---it's really the luck of the draw with flights.

In my view, airlines are now effectively commoditized, so the only questions are those of price & schedule--the (non) service is pretty much the same from one to another. As a Canadian who flys trans-border to the USA from time to time as well as in Canada, I hate connecting flights and avoid them when possible. If you must connect, then try to connect outside of the "snow-belt" in winter time, and avoid O'Hare, where you can be delayed for hours if not days due to weather, which then compounds and cascades into airline delays. Seek out smaller airports, but keep in mind that if the connection time is tight (anything less than an hour means you or your bags may not make the connecting flight--I like 1.5 hours minimum nowadays) and you miss your connection, if in a smaller center, there may not be another flight on that airline for hours...always good to have a "plan B" when flying.

As for the rude flight attendant on United, I have had rude service from all airlines from time-to-time, and good service on occasion too. But, no, you were not out of line with what you said to the f/a, and she/he was having a very bad day. Many airlines treat their customers as an annoyance, and would seemingly like to fly the planes empty, free of those pesky customers--at least that is what the service level leads me to conclude.

As for flight crews in flight, they have all the power--"the petty tyranny of the (otherwise) powerless" to quote a Monty Python line. We have all learned to grin and bear it. If, when these things happen in future, its certainly fine to send a letter or email to "customer service"...and if you ever get a reply, well, that would be a surprise!

Happy flying and cruising!

Although I have never flown USAir, I have had dealings with them...in 2005 we were booked to fly with them from Toronto to Houston to catch a cruise....about a month out, they cancelled that flight and could not guarantee me that I would get home before Christmas...I had to rebook with AirCanada Jazz to make it work....however....USAir wasn't willing to give me my refund for their cancelled flight in a timely manner...after hounding the TA for months, I finally told her that if they(the airline) wanted to be dragged into court, tell them that I would do it...lo and behold, within basically hours I had my refund but no apologies...after 8 months of runarounds...needless to say, that left a very bad taste and I will purposely go out of my way to NOT fly with them ...all I can say is Good Luck in your dealings with them

Archived