When do we HAVE to get passports??

Riley's Mom

Guess what, it takes longer than you think. Say Feb 1, 2010 the politicians decide to make the rule change. It takes several weeks just to get the idea published in the Federal Register, but lets take a worst case scenario and say it can be done overnight. Then there is a legal 60 day open comment period, after which they have to compile and organize the comments. That has usually taken about 2 months just to compile, but again, let's say they are in a rush and do it overnight. Then comes another publication in the Federal Register of the final rule, and then a minimum 60 day implementation period. SO...minimum four months. And anyone cruising in May would be fine.

Coming from Louisiana, I understand that you might think politicians have lots of powers, but we should keep in mind that the 'minimum 4 month implementation' due to the terrorist attacks of 9/11 took nearly 6 years from first publication to final implementation. No matter which politician decides to change a passport rule in the future, its not gonna be very fast, and certainly not as fast as you have in mind. Rules may change in the future, but timeframes will be l---o---n---g.

Very well said, I tried to state that in an earlier post, but you did it better than I did.

Coming from Louisiana, I understand that you might think politicians have lots of powers, but we should keep in mind that the 'minimum 4 month implementation' due to the terrorist attacks of 9/11 took nearly 6 years from first publication to final implementation. No matter which politician decides to change a passport rule in the future, its not gonna be very fast, and certainly not as fast as you have in mind. Rules may change in the future, but timeframes will be l---o---n---g.

Timeframes may be long, but public perception will be short. When the date was January 1, 2008, we were told it would be 12 to 20 weeks. Just from public panic and backlog. Have they corrected this problem, who knows.

Oh and by the way, What does being from Louisiana have to do with it? Last time I checked, my Govenor is not under investigation for ethics. Ok a past govennor is sitting in jail, and one of Senators is on a New Orleans Madams list, and Ms. Mary threw up on a bridge watching a dog die from heat after katrina, (BTW I was there), and we are just a bunch of ignorant red necks and a red state, (guess what, I'm one of the blues, and german/irish/french decendents from New Orleans). So watch your sterotypes.

Timeframes may be long, but public perception will be short. When the date was January 1, 2008, we were told it would be 12 to 20 weeks. Just from public panic and backlog. Have they corrected this problem, who knows.

Oh and by the way, What does being from Louisiana have to do with it? Last time I checked, my Govenor is not under investigation for ethics. Ok a past govennor is sitting in jail, and one of Senators is on a New Orleans Madams list, and Ms. Mary threw up on a bridge watching a dog die from heat after katrina, (BTW I was there), and we are just a bunch of ignorant red necks and a red state, (guess what, I'm one of the blues, and german/irish/french decendents from New Orleans). So watch your sterotypes.

I thought the Louisiana remark was a bit rude and condescending and I live 20 miles from Washington DC and have friends who work on the hill, but would never talk down to someone like that. Just because it USUALLY takes a while for a law to be changed doesn't mean it won't be. Once people start panicking and apply, it can take a lot longer than 3-6 weeks to get a passport. Also, a lot of laws have been pushed through in a lot less time.

I thought the Louisiana remark was a bit rude and condescending and I live 20 miles from Washington DC and have friends who work on the hill, but would never talk down to someone like that. Just because it USUALLY takes a while for a law to be changed doesn't mean it won't be. Once people start panicking and apply, it can take a lot longer than 3-6 weeks to get a passport. Also, a lot of laws have been pushed through in a lot less time.

Very true lots of laws have been pushed thru, but this law hasnt even gone into effect yet, and its taken atleast 4 years to get where it is now. Cant imagine any new changes will take a whole lot less of time.

A copy of your passport is invaluable if you get stranded in a port. Makes it VERY easy to get a replacement passport quickly.

A serious question, Does the embassy/consulate make them right there, or do they have to be sent from the USA to whatever port you are stuck at. Most ppl who have posted in regards to this, says it takes about 2 days to get a PP if you are stuck at a port needing a PP. Im guessing it would take as long for you to get one reissued as it would take me to get a new one if they come from the US. But i'm assuming and we all know what that can mean:). Wonder if anyone here has any direct/personal experience with having to get a PP issued while stranded at a port.

Thanks.

Everything you ever wanted to know about replacing a passport is available here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1197.html

Even the value of having a photocopy of the information page of your passport.

Unfortunately most cruise ports do not have US consulates in them.

Very very very nice link. It sounds like the ppl at the embassy/consulate have sole authority to issue a PP.

For my money, this has been the most valuable link in regards to all these recent PP questions.

Luckily, there is a consulate/embassy in Nassau where my Cruise is going:).

Link: for list of them:http://www.usembassy.gov/

Thnak you very much.

Naomi John,

First let me apologize for the Louisiana remark. I worte a big long explanation of what I was trying to say, and let me just edit it all to say I did not intend it as you took it, so I am sorry. It was not meant against you as much as it was meant to imply that many politicians (and New Mexico certainly had it's share of them long before Bill) that do things in a less than honorable way. In that regard, Louisiana and New Mexico have both suffered, and it is easy to think that all politicians might behave that way. So I apologize to you.

I thought the Louisiana remark was a bit rude and condescending and I live 20 miles from Washington DC and have friends who work on the hill, but would never talk down to someone like that.
Really? I think you just did.

(FWIW, the words were "Coming from Louisiana, I understand....." meaning that I TOO come from Louisiana and understand how politicians have, shall we say, certain reputations. You apparently missed the comma. How are you with Eats Shoots and Leaves?)

Really? I think you just did.

(FWIW, the words were "Coming from Louisiana, I understand....." meaning that I TOO come from Louisiana and understand how politicians have, shall we say, certain reputations. You apparently missed the comma. How are you with Eats Shoots and Leaves?)

I really don't think so and how come you felt the need to apologize if you said nothing that needed apologizing for? No, I saw the comma as in "since you come from Louisiana", and I'm not the only one that took it that way. As for your smarty comment, I don't see that ANYONE else took it the way you did. Your comment came across as someone coming from Louisiana is less knowledgeable about how the US Government works, mine was that even though I'm close to it, I would never tell someone that. What the heck does your question mean? If you are questioning my grammar, I'm pretty sure that's against forum rules.

I know it states that on closed loop cruises you will not need a passprt but what about the various ports you may be visiting? Does anyone know where to go for information on which ports require a passport? Thanks!!

Lori

Carnival does not offer any closed loop itineraries to countries that require passports from cruise passengers stopping for for a day.

I just completed the applications tonight to get our passports. Took my daughters to Kinkos for photos and we're set. Question: when we take everything to the post office, will they accept copies of our birth certificates and documents showing our children were adopted internationally? I would feel very uncomfortable giving the real thing and what happens if they get lost. It's been so long since I got a passport to travel for the adoption I can't remember the protocol. I'm not starting a thread, just trying to get information for MYSELF and not to generate conversation.

My husband just gave me my daughters certificate of citizenship and it clearly states it is punishable by law to copy, print or photograph this certificate without lawful authority. So does that mean we have to relinquish the original, then hope and pray it isn't lost in the shuffle. It took about nine years to get this thing!

My husband just gave me my daughters certificate of citizenship and it clearly states it is punishable by law to copy, print or photograph this certificate without lawful authority. So does that mean we have to relinquish the original, then hope and pray it isn't lost in the shuffle. It took about nine years to get this thing!

I think it states right on the State.gove site you can make a copy. I will go look and see if I can find it. BRB. Also, we have a drugstore where I live called Walgreens, and their passport pics cost $7.99. I believe the Kinko ones cost $12.99??

I think it states right on the State.gove site you can make a copy. I will go look and see if I can find it. BRB. Also, we have a drugstore where I live called Walgreens, and their passport pics cost $7.99. I believe the Kinko ones cost $12.99??

I looked, but could not find it. Sorry. I thought I read it somewhere, but I could not locate it. You can get them replaced, if lost but you have to pay the fees again. $460 is the fee and thats alot of $$$$$$:(.

IIRC violators do hard labor in the same prison as the mattress tag removers.

I think the cruise lines should just move most of their departure ports to Canada then you folks wouldnt have such a dilemma on your hands. Plus it sure would cut down on the cost for me to cruise:D Everytime we have booked a cruise right on the bottom of the page is "passports are required" so we just went out and got passports:eek: shocking isnt it. Funny though Ive never had even one fleeting worry or thought about whether or not we had adequate documentation to travel anywhere or worried about what the absoute positively last no second chance "deadlines" were.:D

We have the same drugstore in Wisconsin, fancy that! I wish I had read your posting before I went to Kinko's because it would have saved me fifteen dollars and the irony is that Walgreens is right across the street from Kinkos.

picklebongo - yes, you do have to send in the original BC. It will come back to you in a separate mailing (why they don't include it with your passport, I can't explain.) The BC will come back within a day or so of the PP.

Archived