10:30AM Flight out of MIA? Am I crazy?

gill_boo

IMHO, you are stark raving bonkers. You have to be at the airport 1 hour early. What if there are a whole bunch of ships docked? What if disembark is delayed slightly? What about customs delays?

Why end your cruise with a lot of angst that you might miss your plane.

DON

I just thought it might be an option. It says earliest flight out of MIA with transfers is 1100am. I have done that option and was at the airport within a lot of time. I know there are a lot of whatifs though.

I would say you are crazy!! I have sailed in and out of Miami several times, and I know how the lines are at the port, not to mention the traffic back to the airport, and all the lines at security in Miami International! No way for that early of a flight. Better safe than sorry, and don't book a flight before 2:00.

I've done it........but then I'm crazy :D.....I've sailed from MIA many many times and always at the airport no later than 9am.....have been there even at 8am....even booked a 10:10 flight before and made it....but with that said....I'm a gambler...however I've changed my flying plans to this now......I book an 11:30 or 12pm flight and then I rush to the airport to get on standby because most people don't book those early flights...In Oct with my new "return home plan"......I had an 11:30 flight...got to the airport at 8:30 and was on a 9:30 flight home...:D....I'm one that when it's over.....I so want off the ship and back home......Even though I've done it....I don't recommend anyone to.;)

YIkes, You are cutting it too close. We were on the Imagination in August and I had a 12:30 flight out. I made it within minutes. My customs line was so slow. I don't know why people don't have their paperwork filled out before they get in line. Good luck, Lisa

So when we got back into POM on the Triumph in October we were off at 730am. Am I crazy to try and book a 1030am return flight? I would do self-disembark and just grab a cab straight to the airport.

Just be in the first self assist group to get off and you will be their with plenty of time to still wait ! Now don't get me wrong, If things happen like an you get a ONE EYED customs agent or an OSTRICH runs into the side of your cab that may take a bit more of your time but otherwise you should be fine..:D :D

I've done it........but then I'm crazy :D.....I've sailed from MIA many many times and always at the airport no later than 9am.....have been there even at 8am....even booked a 10:10 flight before and made it....but with that said....I'm a gambler...however I've changed my flying plans to this now......I book an 11:30 or 12pm flight and then I rush to the airport to get on standby because most people don't book those early flights...In Oct with my new "return home plan"......I had an 11:30 flight...got to the airport at 8:30 and was on a 9:30 flight home...:D....I'm one that when it's over.....I so want off the ship and back home......Even though I've done it....I don't recommend anyone to.;)

Wow :eek: you are a gambler!!! I would be way too nervous trying to make a 10:00 flight!!

But...that being siad.....I think your "new return home" plan makes a lot of sense ;). Book the later flight - but try to get on an earlier one, if the timing works. THAT I would be willing to try!

Just be in the first self assist group to get off and you will be their with plenty of time to still wait ! Now don't get me wrong, If things happen like an you get a ONE EYED customs agent or an OSTRICH runs into the side of your cab that may take a bit more of your time but otherwise you should be fine..:D :D

Man....I hate when THAT happens :D ;)!!!!

I would never risk it. Too, too many things could go wrong, including the runaway ostriches

I've done it but I was lucky I didn't hit any bumps along the road. I don't think I would do it again because on our last cruise, our ship had so many issues that we even missed our 1:30 pm flight! We were supposed to arrive at 7:30am but there were engine problems so we didn't end up leaving the ship until about 3:00pm.

Yes, I think you're crazy, but it sounds like you are well aware that things could go wrong to cause you to miss the flight. If you are a gambler (I am NOT), go for it, but be ready to make other flight arrangements.

When we sailed the Valor, we were in port on time and could have been off the ship early if we had wanted to (we had a late flight so took out time). But, I just read a review from someone who did not get off the ship in Miami until 1 pm due to some problem that I can't remember.

YES, you're crazy. However, as long as you have a backup plan (and the $$$ to purchase last minute tickets on a later flight if you miss the 10:30am), you should be OK!

Even with self assist debarkation, there are times when I haven't been able to get off the ship until after 10am (customs delays, late arrival, etc). One unfortunate time not until 2pm!

On the brighter side, last november we were off the ship at 6:45am in Miami and were able to standby on a 9:00am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale! All the stars were lined up perfectly for this one though!

I would say, check with the airline with the 10:30am flight and see what their standby policies are. Purchase tickets for a LATER flight and then try to standby on the earlier flight. That way, if for some reason you don't make the 10:30am flight, you won't have to jump through costly hoops of fire to get home.

YES, you're crazy. However, as long as you have a backup plan (and the $$$ to purchase last minute tickets on a later flight if you miss the 10:30am), you should be OK!

Even with self assist debarkation, there are times when I haven't been able to get off the ship until after 10am (customs delays, late arrival, etc). One unfortunate time not until 2pm!

On the brighter side, last november we were off the ship at 6:45am in Miami and were able to standby on a 9:00am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale! All the stars were lined up perfectly for this one though!

I would say, check with the airline with the 10:30am flight and see what their standby policies are. Purchase tickets for a LATER flight and then try to standby on the earlier flight. That way, if for some reason you don't make the 10:30am flight, you won't have to jump through costly hoops of fire to get home.

I agree! But.....Delta recently told my sister that they no longer offer "stand-by" :eek:. She could change her flight - but the change fees would be applied :(!!

I have made a 9:45 flight before out of MIA I went to the pursers desk got the right color for the first ones off and was in the hallway at 6:30 and was one of the first off with my luggage and grabed a taxi, checked luggage at the curb at the airport and had time. Risky? Yes but doable and would do it again if the price was right. :D It is stressful but a challenge and I love challenges.

Archived