Review of the Silver Whisper, Singapore-Sydney

ging466

Here's the link to my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=50716

Cheers

Ging466

Thank you kindly for such an interesting report. You did not mention any "production show", so presumably this had not yet been resumed on all Silversea ships.

Our voyage back in December, 2007 on the Shadow had only 300+ passengers, but we could only be booked twice (once a week) on La Terraza. We did get in a third time (total 15 days), but only on a waitlist standby basis. Due to the size of the kitchen, they could only serve 50 dinners per night. So if the ship were full (382 passengers), it would be once per week if most people wanted to try. So presumably it would also depend on how many people wishing to eat there.

The Bulgari toiletries were very nice, but if you had a chance to try the others, we liked Aqua di Parma even more, as it was more mildly scented. In fact, if you had asked to purchase them to take home with you, the price list showed the latter to be slightly more expensive than the former, e.g. $8 versus $7 per piece.

The staff on the Shadow was also very nice. They were perhaps three quarters Philippino. Just curious, what was the nationality mix on the Whisper?

There seemed to be quite a few complaints about the Spa (contractor, not Silversea employees) lately, especially on product pushing. Perhaps Mr Tucker would like to review the situation accordingly.

The eye glass box must be a feature fleet wide. Our first evening in November, on the Cloud, another guest at our table exclaimed, he had left his eyeglasses in the cabin. A few minutes later our waiter appeared with a box of eyeglasses for the guest to choose from.

Another evening an elderly lady at our table complained of the cold temperature in the room. The waiter left and returned with a shawl for the lady. Where he got it I know not.

ralph

Thank you kindly for such an interesting report. You did not mention any "production show", so presumably this had not yet been resumed on all Silversea ships.

The staff on the Shadow was also very nice. They were perhaps three quarters Philippino. Just curious, what was the nationality mix on the Whisper?

Hi Mr meow!:)

A lot of the shows were put on by the Silversea Production Team (consisting of singers & dancers), then there were the special guest stars and our CD was a singer also. These shows were similar to what I'd seen on other cruise lines.

Wait and cabin staff on the Whisper were mainly Asian and a lot were definitely Philippino.

Cheers

Ging466

ging466,

Thank you for this comprehensive review. I will be doing a similar cruise from Singapore to Sydney on Oceania in Dec 09 so I was interested in reading about your ports of call.

We will be sailing on the Wind this Feb/March, so the Whisper ship info was less important to me (for now).

We have been to Singapore before, usually staying in the Orchard Rd area. This time I would like to stay in the historic area near the Marina district. Can you tell me more about the Swisssotel (and why you stayed there for 1 night then switched to the Fairmont)? How would you compare the Swissotel with the Marina Mandarin and the Pan Pacific?

Appreciate all your help - Thanks,

Paul

ging466, We have been to Singapore before, usually staying in the Orchard Rd area. This time I would like to stay in the historic area near the Marina district. Can you tell me more about the Swisssotel (and why you stayed there for 1 night then switched to the Fairmont)? How would you compare the Swissotel with the Marina Mandarin and the Pan Pacific? Appreciate all your help - Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul

I stayed at the Swissotel because I took an extra night that wasn't in my package. The Fairmont wanted something ridiculous due to my single supplement so because they are located in the same complex I took the Swissotel. Both were excellent.

I have stayed at the Marina Mandarin which is part of a huge complex (Marina Square) which also houses The Oriental and the Pan Pacific.

The location for all of these mentioned hotels is excellent and if I was going back to Singapore I would be happy to stay at any of them. I much prefer this area to Orchard Rd. And if you are a shopper, all these hotels/shopping malls are linked together by an underground walkway which is great - it gets you out of the heat.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip.

Cheers

Ging466

P.S. Love your black labrador, I used to have a white one.:)

Hi Paul

I stayed at the Swissotel because I took an extra night that wasn't in my package. The Fairmont wanted something ridiculous due to my single supplement so because they are located in the same complex I took the Swissotel. Both were excellent.

I have stayed at the Marina Mandarin which is part of a huge complex (Marina Square) which also houses The Oriental and the Pan Pacific.

The location for all of these mentioned hotels is excellent and if I was going back to Singapore I would be happy to stay at any of them. I much prefer this area to Orchard Rd. And if you are a shopper, all these hotels/shopping malls are linked together by an underground walkway which is great - it gets you out of the heat.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip.

Cheers

Ging466

P.S. Love your black labrador, I used to have a white one.:)

Hi Ging446,

Thank you for the info. It sounds like they are pretty much in the same category (Swiss, Pan Pacific & Marina) so I'll go by the price and type of room available. The Fairmont and Oriental are probably a notch above but if I can find the right price I may go that way.

Yes, we love our black Lab (Pepper), although he's a handful compared to our previous yellow Lab who was very mellow.

Take care,

Paul

ging466,

Thank you for this comprehensive review. I will be doing a similar cruise from Singapore to Sydney on Oceania in Dec 09 so I was interested in reading about your ports of call.

We will be sailing on the Wind this Feb/March, so the Whisper ship info was less important to me (for now).

We have been to Singapore before, usually staying in the Orchard Rd area. This time I would like to stay in the historic area near the Marina district. Can you tell me more about the Swisssotel (and why you stayed there for 1 night then switched to the Fairmont)? How would you compare the Swissotel with the Marina Mandarin and the Pan Pacific?

Appreciate all your help - Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul. Shame you're doing your cruise on Oceania as we're doing the Silversea one. We actually live here but have stayed in quite a lot of the hotels at various points. The swissotel isn't really in the marina bay area, it's ok but i don't love it. The fairmont (which has had several owners in the last few years) is a nice hotel, but I love the marina mandarin, or the oriental next door to it, Pan Pacific is nice too. Next along the road is the Ritz Carlton which is a little more expensive but our favourite hotel in Singapore (apart from Raffles itself). I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

Hey Paul. Shame you're doing your cruise on Oceania as we're doing the Silversea one. We actually live here but have stayed in quite a lot of the hotels at various points. The swissotel isn't really in the marina bay area, it's ok but i don't love it. The fairmont (which has had several owners in the last few years) is a nice hotel, but I love the marina mandarin, or the oriental next door to it, Pan Pacific is nice too. Next along the road is the Ritz Carlton which is a little more expensive but our favourite hotel in Singapore (apart from Raffles itself). I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

Hi rols,

Thank you very much for that information - there is nothing like an insight from a local person.

We looked at that SS cruise but it is 2 weeks too early for us - we hook up with 4 other cruises "down under" and it would extend an already very long trip too much. Besides, Oceania stops overnight in Bali and then Komodo island, neither of which have we visited before. Just in case you feel tempted, Oceania has a sale where this (and many other cruises) are up to $ 1500 off from their 2for1 price plus $ 500 OBC plus gratuities - not a bad deal. Granted, it's not quite up to SS standard, but it is very nice and less formal (country club casual - which we like).

Paul

Here's the link to my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=50716

Cheers

Ging466

Terrific review! I just got off the phone with a friend who traveled on the cruise with another woman that I know, she just RAVED about the cruise! The only letdown for them is that her friend had food poisoning in Singapore a few days before embarking on the ship.

Host Dan

Archived