Silversea - not your stuffy cruise line anymore! Brief review of Cloud Holiday cruise

NJBelle

Hello All,

We have just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Cloud (Dec 20-Jan 4). While she is due for her refurbishment, she still looks just fine and has a wonderful "feel" about her. My family - husband, 14 year old daughter and me - all agreed that this was a wonderful 2 weeks (really 16 days) during the holidays. I will post some comments about the excursions on the South America board, but just wanted to comment here about the Cloud and staff.

We have been on 7 Crystal cruises, 5 Regent and this was our 3rd SS cruise. And we all agreed that we have never had better service or better food in all those cruises. Now it may have helped that the ship was only 2/3 full, but whatever the reason, it was just wonderful. I would say the crew is now majority Filipino, and the polish is there as well as the warmth. Judie Abbott was the Cruise Director and she was not only the hardest working CD I have seen (she was everywhere - and sometimes I saw her in 4 different outfits in a day) but she was also a lot of fun. Being away for the holidays can be difficult, but I have to say that there were lots of ways to get into the spirit on the Cloud. We had a holiday sing-along, there was a midnight mass (with a really meaningful message and lovely music), another interdenominational service, a visit from Santa, elves all over the ship, and of course all the regular decorations. The Christmas meal was special and everyone just seemed to really enjoy themselves. The Captain had his wife and 18 month old daughter on board (the world's most well behaved child, I must say) and that just added to the festivities. The Holiday Door decorating contest added a bit of competition as well as color to the days preceding Christmas.

The reason that I say that Silversea is not stuffy anymore is that I have seen that as a description of the atmosphere (especially when comparing to the other lines). While very professional and of utmost quality, I didn't feel that we ever encountered "stuffy" on this cruise (and this is also compared to a SS cruise we took about 4 years ago where it was a bit stuffy - so this is different now). Between the Captain who happily interacted with the passengers to Judie who really gives it her all - to Chef David - who sings, dances and cooks like a dream - the staff was warm and accessible. Literally, David would show up for the Caroling, or in the Panorama Lounge in the evening after dinner - and sing a song or dance with some of the ladies. On New Year's Eve, he did a bit of a risque song/dance (as much as you can with chef's clothing on) and got the crowd going. All the passengers were very interactive, and while people had their privacy as much as they desired, most seemed happy to mingle with the other passengers.

My estimate is that it was about 1/3 American, 1/3 EU/Aus and 1/3 South American. Probably that is off a bit, but it made for a very nice mix. As far as dress, while there were 4 formal nights on the 16 day cruise, the majority of men did NOT wear tuxedos. My husband did and enjoys it, but he was the one who called that to my attention. Everyone looked very polished, but there were not a ton of tuxedos. The ladies still dressed up pretty much, however.

Lectures were good - one really good lecturer and one who was too technical for most. Music by Mark, the piano/cabaret performer, was excellent - although the Silver Cloud Quartet could have been better. They were a bit perfunctory in their approach in my opinion. Activities were fine - especially given it is a small ship. Library is good - plenty of choices. I read 6 books during the time, and could have found more of interest.

We are really liking the size of the Cloud - well laid out, everything you need, but all right there and accessible. We went into places that other larger ships can't go and that added to the ambience as well. Staterooms are spacious and the service of the stewardesses was very efficient and professional. Amenities (discussed in detail on other threads!) were ample.

Our weather was really good and we enjoyed the warmth of Buenos Aires, the colder weather near the Horn and then the warmth again nearing Santiago. Even with 16 days (lots of sea days) we never got bored since there was always something different different going on - whether the weather, the scenery, the changing "seasons", the holidays occurring, etc - we left relaxed, fat and happy.

So, if anyone is hesitating, hesitate no more. We had it all on our Silver Cloud holiday - and we are still basking the in the afterglow.

Let me know if you have questions, but just wanted to let everyone know what a great time we had. Again, in a few days, I will post about our specific excursions.

Best, NJBelle

Thank you kindly for this interesting report. The atmosphere might have been more cheerful for several reasons: The mainly Philippino crew (since more than a year ago) are by nature less formal and more jovial; the length of the voyage, being two weeks probably with quite a few sea days, everyone has the tendency of trying to get along. Finally perhaps the festive season had something to do with it!

We also found the atmosphere during our Panama Canal voyage in December, 2007 more "cheerful" than our first and shorter Mexican Riviera (both aboard the Shadow) in December, 2004, which was also nice, but a bit more "reserved". It seems that you have similar observations! As for the passenger mix, if you are really interested (though this is not necessary), it is available in the "passenger manifest" they distribute to every cabin (a feature not available in most other cruise lines).

Great to hear that you had such a good time on the Cloud. We will join the ship in February and we are really looking forward to it. We've done many cruises so far, the Cloud has been the first ship we've ever cruised on and we just love this ship

Actually, I have never felt SS was a stuffy cruise line and I have been sailing with them since June 1994 when the Cloud was it's only ship. People have always been warm and open and friendly. And having Judie Abbot as your CD is the icing on the cake. She's the best!

Thanks for the post. My wife and I are on the Apr 4th San Juan to Barbados cruise. We sailed on Silver Whisper a few years ago and enjoyed that, so I think more of the same is probably in store. If the men weren't wearing tuxes on formal night, did they all have ties on or perhaps a suit with a nice mock turtleneck type shirt? The size of my neck makes almost any button shirt uncomfortable yet I don't want to be totally "against the grain" on formal nights.

Mark

When we 've been on the Wind last year all men did either wear a tux or a dark suit and tie on the formal nights. Actually lots of them, I would even say most did wear a tie on the informal nights. I think it varies from cruise to cruise.

I will wait and see what happens on our cruise on the Cloud in February.

Great review. Thank you. So glad you had a wonderful cruise and holiday.

We were on the Shadow in Dec. and on formal nights men did wear tuxes or dark suits with ties. Some men from the UK wore their kilts. On informal nights, a few wore ties, but it was about 85% sports coats or blazers with a shirt.

NJBelle, one question. Who was the Captain? Your description suggests Capt. Palmieri, a wonderful man whose joy interacting with the passengers makes every cruise a treat!

SeaGirl 2002, we were apparently on the same South American cruise in '04- We were on the Whisper from Buenos Aires westward through the Canal to Antigua. I share your love of the Cloud!

We were on the Barbados-B.A. cruise preceding NJ's & we had Capt. Pontillo. His wife & adorable baby girl were on board so he was scarce at functions but always the charmer. On our first segment, there were only around 160 of us so the atmosphere was almost like a big family. Passengers from UK & Europe outnumbered Americans 2-1. Great fun. We picked up many more passengers in Rio & many more Americans. The crew is undoubtedly one of the best ever. Loved every minute of those 23 days & reading the onward review brings tears to my eyes.

Pontillo is still on the Cloud at the moment. He is a great Captain.

Wellseasoned...yes we've been on the Whisper and we were supposed to stay till Antigua too but we had to leave in Lima (Callao) due to an event of death in our family.

Thanks for your report on the Cloud Holiday cruise. It is the first and only report of an SS cruise that didn't mention that "most of the men wore tuxes on formal nights." On our cruise on the Cloud of northern Europe in Sept. '06, most did. And I did. But it was certainly not stuffy! All guests and crew seemed to be all having a great time. I know we did. One of the things we like is the international guest mixture on SS, which your report confirms.

Well, it's been since March, '08 since we've been on SS (the Wind, Caribbean). Guess it is about time for another go.:)

As for the passenger mix, if you are really interested (though this is not necessary), it is available in the "passenger manifest" they distribute to every cabin (a feature not available in most other cruise lines).

Could you describe this manifest in more detail, please? Does it include names, addresses, ages or anything which is personally identifiable?

If so, may one totally opt out of being included in it?

I can't speak for Silversea but I can tell you how Crystal handles this on every cruise. A passenger can request not to be included in the guest list. A form is given out prior to embarkation and you simply give it to the reception desk once on board. Also, if you choose to be listed in the guest list, Crystal only prints your name and state/province if you live in the us or canada and for other countries, just the country is listed. Additonally, Crystal no longer deliverss every cabin a guest list, you know get them at the front desk. Not every passenger wants to have it.

Nancy

Hi Gillianrose,

Good evening! I've been on a few Silversea Cruises, so I hope this information helps. You will be asked 60 days before you get your docs to fill out a "guest information" list (either online or forms) This lists all your personal requirements and preferences such as pillow selection, dietary preferences, choices in your personal bar, etc. It also asks if you would like to be listed on the passenger list and how you would like to be listed. Half way through the cruise, all guests receive the Guest Passenger List with those listed who wanted to be listed.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Kind regards,

ScottToronto

Hi Gillianrose,

Good evening! I've been on a few Silversea Cruises, so I hope this information helps. You will be asked 60 days before you get your docs to fill out a "guest information" list (either online or forms) This lists all your personal requirements and preferences such as pillow selection, dietary preferences, choices in your personal bar, etc. It also asks if you would like to be listed on the passenger list and how you would like to be listed. Half way through the cruise, all guests receive the Guest Passenger List with those listed who wanted to be listed.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Kind regards,

ScottToronto

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know!.

• 2 weeks later...

This was our first Silversea cruise and will certainly not be our last. We loved the Cloud, the staff, the food and just about everything. I realize it is headed in for some work but nevertheless, it is still in fine shape. The CD Judie was wonderful, very attentive. She is definitely in tune with the clientele. We also had two lecturers Richard Cowley and Hallam Murray who gave us wonderful stories on the area and their experiences.

We did experience a bit of rough seas so anyone who's going would be well advised to have some med. or bands with them. Captain did his best to minimize the swells but better to be prepared. Be sure to do the Bluff Cove Penguin Tour in the Falklands. This is an experience you will remember.

Archived