Trans atlantic cruises

eandmburke

We are booked on a Trans Atlantic cruise this fall from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and as you can imagine the airfare is high both from cruise line or booking ourselves. A friend of ours plans to do a TA this spring from the US to London and then in the fall they will fly to London and take a TA back to the us on the same ticket. Has anyone ever done this...I am concerned about immigration..please email eandmburke@aol.com

Your friend wont run into any problems. I did this just this past month. I had a one way cruise ending in Santiago Chile. I purchased a round trip ticket from South America to Cleveland with the return leg in March 2009. I can change this to another city or I can arrange it so I take the Sun back from South America to San Fran. It can be a smart way to book if the one way is almost as expensive as the return.

A friend of ours plans to do a TA this spring from the US to London and then in the fall they will fly to London and take a TA back to the us on the same ticket. Has anyone ever done this...I am concerned about immigration
There is no problem with this. You may have to show immigration that you have a cruise ticket to leave the UK on the first occasion, but you're usually allowed to be in the UK six months as a visitor anyway.

We are booked on a Trans Atlantic cruise this fall from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and as you can imagine the airfare is high both from cruise line or booking ourselves. A friend of ours plans to do a TA this spring from the US to London and then in the fall they will fly to London and take a TA back to the us on the same ticket. Has anyone ever done this...I am concerned about immigration..please email eandmburke@aol.com

Two words; Aer Lingus

The Irish national airline does not penalize you for one way transatlantic flights, you can get a JFK-DUB-FCO flight for somewhere between $350 and $500. They also fly from IAD in case that's a better choice for you.

Oct 9/09 (i just picked a date in Oct)

EI104 New York 17:45 - Dublin 05:15

EI402 Dublin 07:10 - Rome/DaVinci 11:20

Fare: $339

Taxes: $41.53

For one way fares, try Mobissimo, LessNo and Vayama. All of them offer consolidator and/or white fares.

White fares are fares that don't tell you the airline, just the approximate departure time and arrival time. When you purchase, you find out the airline. Of course, sometimes the hubs they use give them away. For example a flight through IAD (Dulles) is usually United or United/Lufthansa. A flight through ATL would usually mean Delta.

We purchased a ticket through Vayama for our last transatlantic that was on United. Same ticket, just half the price. We oculd even change our seat assignment on United's website.

Archived