Photos of the 737 that ran off the runway in Denver. CO flight 1404

ohioNCLcruiser

Amazing pics - thank God no one was killed. A real testament to the skill of the flight crew to get everyone off the plane in quick fashion. This is why I always make a mental note where the nearest exits are - both in front and behind me. And as scary as those pics are, just have to remember flying is still by far the safest way to travel.

Shows how the seat cushions do not catch on fire or melt. Good to know I guess!
I know that the photos look terrible, but they actually demonstrate that the fire was not very serious (or was killed before it got very serious - I don't know anything yet about the chronology of the firefighting in this accident). The fuselage structure is pretty much intact, and there was relatively little fire penetration into the cabin. That's why the seats are so undamaged.

If you want to see what the aftermath of a real fire looks like on this aircraft model, have a look at these images. You can see how the fire has destroyed the integrity of the fuselage barrel, which has collapsed down and inwards. Everything inside has been burnt to a crisp.

FWIW, this accident also resulted in no serious casualties.

nqtowy.jpg

2nakzkk.jpg

Since we're posting our favourites, here's an Air France A340 that went of the runway in Toronto a few years ago. No deaths, and in fact there were more people hurt in car crashes on the adjacent highway when the crash happened.

Air_France_Flight_358.jpg

Here is a good video of the China Air 737 fire

The Continental flight was lucky it came to a rest right next to the fire house. If the plane lifted off the ground I'm sure the results would have been similar to the Spanair crash not too long ago where the plane got some altitude before it came down.

Shows how the seat cushions do not catch on fire or melt. Good to know I guess!

Everything on an airliner must go through very stringent flammability tests. At a past job we had to test some seat assemblies. They were fine during informal "pre tests" so we sent them to the lab for "official" tests. The seat cushions burned like a Roman candle to everyone's shock. Long story short, a lady helping to prepare the seats noticed the fabric was dusty and dirty. She though she would help by giving the seats a thorough cleaning. The detergent residue caused the foam padding to become flammable!

Warning: Do not click on the link if you don't like flying or have a fear of it!

I disagree.

This is a perfect example to people who are scared; of exactly how safe modern aircraft are. A plane that left the runway at a speed much higher than a car would be travelling on a highway, and everyone walked away...

Just do us all a favor and leave your luggage in the overhead and just get out of the plane. Unfortunately some clueless flight 1404 passengers were fumbling for their luggage obstructing the exits for others.

Just do us all a favor and leave your luggage in the overhead and just get out of the plane. Unfortunately some clueless flight 1404 passengers were fumbling for their luggage obstructing the exits for others.

Really? Thats crazy.

Could you share with us the source of your information?

Could you share with us the source of your information?

In the days after the accident, I recall a NTSB person at a press debriefing saying that evacuation was impeded by passengers trying to retrieve their personal belongings. There was also a passenger interviewed on one of the news shows like GMA. He said a passenger was blocking their way to the rear exit because he was trying to get things out of the overhead. The passenger told him to move but the guy didn't. So the passenger turned around and used a forward exit.

I would not have been so polite in an emergency that involved wife and kids;:rolleyes: the aisle blocker would have become part of the carpeting!

still amazed that everyone survived that...very thankful they did but wow:)

"Parade" magazine yesterday had a survival theme. They quoted a NTSB stat that said 76.6% of passengers survived serious crashes over the past 25 years. Since fire and impact standards for airliners greatly improved in the '90s, I suspect recent crashes are more survivable than the average.

The article also said analysis of survivor's seat location discovered that being within 5 rows of an exit is a very strong factor in surviving a crash.

"Parade" magazine yesterday had a survival theme. They quoted a NTSB stat that said 76.6% of passengers survived serious crashes over the past 25 years. Since fire and impact standards for airliners greatly improved in the '90s, I suspect recent crashes are more survivable than the average.

The article also said analysis of survivor's seat location discovered that being within 5 rows of an exit is a very strong factor in surviving a crash.

I remember when that Air France A340 ran off the runway..they were interviewing one of the guys who designs the safety features to hold fire out of the cabin for X amount of time to allow passengers to evacuate. The news reporter said something like "its a miracle everyone made it out" and he was offended and said "no, that's what we designed them to do."

They quoted a NTSB stat that said 76.6% of passengers survived serious crashes over the past 25 years.
This ought to be drummed into every passenger that gets on to every flight. So many apparently-intelligent people think that if the aircraft crashes, you're dead - so there's no point in reading the safety card, watching the briefing, or paying any attention to the advice given.

The reality is that most people walk out of most accidents.

Personally, if I had my way I would evict every passenger who refused to watch and listen to the safety briefing.

Archived