Sir Stamford Hotel, Sydney

Cinder Again

Hi, has anyone stayed at the Sir Stamford Hotel in Sydney, and if so, how did you find it? I booked it via Priceline, but I can cancel if necessary. Is it clean, safe, in a good location? I understand it's on Macquarie Street. Thanks, Kathi

We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel, which is next door to the Sir Stamford.

It looked like a good Hotel.

It will be an up-hill (two blocks) walk from Circular Quay to the Sir Stamford.

Easy walking to: Opera House, Circular Quay and restraunts at Circular Quay.

Enjoy Sydney

Hi there, DH and I have stayed at the Sir Stamford Circular Quay 3 times this year.

yes it is a lovely hotel, staff are friendly, helpfull and the place is clean.

we had great rooms each time, overlooking where our ships were docking.

and if you are fit, with just 1 piece of luggage you could walk to the ship.

I have a hip problem and caught a cab.

the only downside I feel, are the prices in the restaurant, they are a bit steep.( we elected to eat out twice)

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Thanks, it would be fun to see the ship come into port. I have done that in Seattle and Vancouver. As far as food, I think we will probably eat out, exploring the Rocks and Circular Quay.

I'm sure we will walk to the port, with me looking like a pack animal!

WE stayed at the Sir Stamford in November before our cruise and had no problems. Although the hotel is a bit old, it was extremely clean, the employees were top notch, and the beds comfortable. The location is fabulous! Close to Circular Quay, across the street from the Botanical Gardens and a short walk to the ship (although we sent our luggage by taxi!) If you want inexpensive food, there is an office building one block behind the hotel with a mini mall on the first floor. Several good fast food places, grocery store, pharmacy etc. We ate breakfast there almost every morning! Great little fast food place that had lots of fresh fruit, smoothies and juices and a huge breakfast wrap. Much more economical than the restaurant in the hotel, although the food there was excellent!

Thanks, hearing all this positive reports are getting us excited! Thanks for the tip on the food, we aren't big breakfast eaters, so it will be nice to have somewhere inexpensive to get a bite. One question, do the rooms have coffee makers, by any chance?

• 2 years later...

We have this hotel booked in April and appreciated the responses already posted. It looks like we can take a train to Circular Quay station from the airport then it is just a 5 minute walk to the hotel, is this correct? I've seen a post from the hotel if you call them, they can send someone to get you at the station, since we won't have international phones we can't do this but perhaps there are public phones available?

Would love to hear from anyone else that has stayed here with tips and advice. We plan on looking around our first day then doing the bridge climb late afternoon. The second day we have booked a Blue Mountain tour. Finally, we'll wander around again in the morning before going to the cruise dock to board our ship.

Its a five star hotel and used to be the Ritz Carlton Sydney so you'll have no problems at all. An easy walk from Circular Quay station although a little uphill or get out at St James station which is a little further away but the walk is all level along Macquarie st. And you've got the Botanic Gardens straight across the road.

They had a hot water pot in each room with tea bags and instant coffee. It did the trick until I could get downstairs to get some REAL coffee.

You will find tea/coffee making facilities, with a hot water jug in most hotel rooms in Australia, and a fridge. This is standard for Australia. Some more upmarket hotel rooms have espresso machines in them.

The Sir Stamford is a fine hotel. The walk from Circular Quay (pronounced "key") station is short and in a northerly direction from the station. Go straight past the blue and white government buses terminal keeping the water on your left, you will probably see some buskers there and the Manly Ferry nearby. Round a slight right hand bend into Phillip St, then immediately left up the quite steep but short (50 yds)Albert street past the Police and Justice Museum. There are traffic lights and a pedestrian crossing here. You need to be on the same side as the museum. The hotel is at the top of the street on the corner with Macquarie St. Entrance is in Macquarie St (red carpet and all).

Afraid some of the taxi driver's in Sydney can be a bit rude and may refuse you the short trip although they are not supposed to. Don't pay more than $10. (and please no tips except to round up to nearest dollar).

The Sir Stamford is closest hotel to the Opera House apart from the very upmarket Quay Grand. Probably the closest "affordable" International class hotel nearest Circular Quay station would be the "Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay" in Pitt St almost directly opposite the station on flat ground and would provide the easiest walk to "downtown" Sydney. Closest to the Overseas Passenger terminal would be Old Sydney Holdiday Inn or Four Seasons both in the precinct called The Rocks.

This hotel used to be the Ritz Carlton. It is in a lovely old building situated within an easy walk of the Opera House and Circular Quay and a little further - The Rocks area. Whilst it is on the old side, it still has high quality service and the best llounge bar. It faces on to Macquarie Street a nice street of old buildings.

If you snared it on Priceline for $150, you have yourself a real bargain!

The DH and I stayed at the Sir Stamford from November 30th through December 7th. We were extremely pleased. The location was wonderful and the centrally located neighborhood very safe. The large room was in excellent condition. We loved that the bath had two sinks, in addition to both shower and tub. The staff was wonderful and the hotel had great character. If we ever return to Sydney the Sir Stamford will be our first choice as a hotel.

Archived