Back from South America! Any questions?

buckeye82

curly1929-

When is your sailing date (in March)?

I go on 2/15/09 (out of Valp). I am booked on the Antartctic excursion. I understand about a 50% chance it will be cancelled.

I too would like to kow if I need to take a parka or if I use the one they give me. I will be taking another jacket, just don't know how thick yet.

Just booked this for March 28th, 2010....it's going to be a long 14 months!

Chez, you can find the excursion on NCL website. I looked at it and I would love to do the do it but $2,499??? That works out to something like $4 a minute!.... to much for my wallet!

Clay

Hi. We booked air through NCL - which ended up reasonable compared to what we could find had we booked on our own (at that time). The flights were direct and via AA; overnight both ways (somewhat tiring on the return from Buenos Aires after a fun day of touring.

Good questions about ports and scenery: this is a scenery and wildlife trip. Other than Santiago/Valparaiso and Montevideo and Buenos Aires, these are small ports. With exception of Puerto Madryn, all other ports were tendered. We were fortunate and made all ports (a bit bumpy in Ushuaia and Falklands).

We booked excursions with the ship in most ports; booked private tours in advance in Peurto Montt and Punta Arenas. We would probably have had little difficulty booking at the port at most locations - but were less stressed by knowing in advance what we were doing.

As we had heard, there was little to do at the port in Chacabuco.

would you say you spent as much on excursions as on your base cruise fare? I guess that would depend on what category you were booking!

We were in a BB balcony; our excursions cost almost half the cabin fare. We knew that in advance and considered this a 'trip of a lifetime.'

How cold did it get and how rough was the ride around the Horn?

Thanks

d man

We were lucky and had smooth sailing around the Horn. We had somewhat rough seas just outside of Valparaiso.

It was cold! We had snow and sleet in Ushuaia and in Beagle Channel - quite nice as foreground to glaciers and fjords! We are from Florida, so snow was a rare treat.

Do you recall what days they offered the Laundry Washing Promo? Hopefully the offer it a couple of times for the 14 day cruise.

d man

The laundry promo - $19.99 for a filled bag - was offered three times on the ship. We used it once about midway during the cruise.

"Did get to the Falklands. The seas were very calm on the passage from Puerto Madryn, & the night sky so clear. Did some star gazing with the Cruise Director"

We are thinking about doing this cruise and my husband loves to star gaze. Did you have really clear skys? Was it possible to get the ship to turn off or down some lights on top deck so you could eliminate some of the light pollution? Was this an organized event or did you just invite the CD to join you in star gazing.

The cruise director (who was outstanding in all regards) offered star gazing on several evenings - the sky was clear and the cruise director used a star pointer and offered a quality lecture. Southern Cross, Magellenic Clouds, and much more. Certainly one of many highlights.

Did you have any lectures about South America on the ship during your sea days?

Where would you suggest for a sail-away get together on the Sun?

Were there any photography classes in their NCLU?

Did you like your captain? Cruise Director?

We leave in two weeks and are getting excited!! :)

There were several scheduled lectures during the cruise. Some offered by a retired professor and some by the cruise director. NCLU offered several photography classes. Captain was nice and baptized (doused) passengers after we rounded Cape Horn (a cold tradition, but don't miss the experience). The cruise director (Andrea) was very good - fluent in at least five languages, personable, and knowledgeable.

Will be on same trip in March. First time cruiers though!

Considering the Antarctic excursion. Do you have any feedback on it? Minor question about it; when do they give out the parkas?

What were your favorite excursions? The Canopy zipline at Puerto Montt sounds exciting and scary.

For us, the antarctic excursion was too much $$ (but we would have liked to have gone there).

We had done zip line/canopy in Costa Rica - fun - and chose not to repeat it.

Our favorite excursions (all were good): Penguins in Penninsula Valdes (along with Sea Lions and Sea Elephants); Cruising Beagle Channel; and touring in Puerto Montt/Osorno Volcano.

We will be on the Sun in April for an 18 day cruise from Santiago to Los Angeles. Do you remember the cost of the different alternative restaurants?

Carolyn

I believe East Meets West was $20, Bistro was $15, Ginza was $15, Teppanyaki was $25 (seating was very limited), Il Adaggio was $10, Pacific Heights, Sports Bar and Las Ramblas had no additional charge.

The food was good the service was usually very good.

Did you get your air through NCL or did you purchase it separately? And what are air costs like (about the only thing that keeps me from considering this cruise - I would LOVE to do S.A.)

We live in South Fl. so we had a direct flight on AA from Miami to Santiago, though very late at night. Everything was going smoothly and then we pushed back from the gate and stopped, and the pilot came on the speaker and said the dreaded words, "a warning light has come on and we need to return to the gate." Well, this is not what you want to hear when you have been planning this trip for a year. We watched out the window as a mechanic came and did something to the wing on our side of the plane and after about 20 mins. we were pushing back again. It took forever to get off the ground. (who knew there was so much traffic so late at night (by now I suppose it was Sunday morning)). Long story short we were late getting into Santiago and that was only the beginning of a long day!

We had to pay the entry fee, which some people seemed surprised about. The line was very long and finally a worker told us to go downstairs to pay. We hurried down only to find an equally long line which we were now at the end of. We had brought cash to pay, but it seemed that the credit card machines were working just fine. Then it was off to another long line for passport control. When we got to the luggage area the luggage had all been set aside and we found our bags with little problem. As we got in another long line to go through customs (everyone needs a customs paper! I was filling mine out as I stood in line) we saw the NCL Rep and he came over to check us off on his clipboard. He gave us stickers and that helped other Reps identify us and show us the way out and to the shuttle. Of course a shuttle had just filled so we got on another and had to wait as it filled up. The ride to the port was just under two hours and was pleasant. I am sure I dozed a little. I think we were all starving as we had breakfast on the plane and it was now after noon.

We arrived at the port and went inside the terminal. Where were the check in counters? Where were the mazes of people in line? We were given a number (27). We discovered that it was our number in line to get on a shuttle to the ship. We were told to have a seat and we did. We soon realized that they were on number 21. But we were anxious and it just didn't feel right to not be checking in. Finally we realized that reps were walking around and "pre-checking in" passengers. I got someone's attention and she came over to look at our tickets and passports and gave us a pre-boarding card. Now they were on number 22! So we browsed around. There was a bar and a kiosk selling Chilean wine. We had some samples and passed the time nicely. Finally, they called our number and we went through security and onto the shuttle. Finally! We were on board. It was after three o'clock. We got on the ship and were directed to a dining room where we were very quickly officially checked in. We went to our cabin and we were starving. But guess what? It was time for the emergency ship drill!

So that was our experience with embarkation!

curly1929-

When is your sailing date (in March)?

I go on 2/15/09 (out of Valp). I am booked on the Antartctic excursion. I understand about a 50% chance it will be cancelled.

I too would like to kow if I need to take a parka or if I use the one they give me. I will be taking another jacket, just don't know how thick yet.

We board on March 15, also at Valpariso. It is very expensive but I've decided to book Antartica: if we go I will have bragging rights to have visited all 7 continents! Incidentally, Google Earth provides a look at the place and pictures of where we will be!

I contacted the Shore Excursion gal in Mesa about the jacket and she didn't know either (1) when we get the jacket (would rather not haul an extra one all the way) or (2) surprisingly, the quality of the jacket.

We were thinking of doing this trip. How does a south america cruise compare to carabean on NCL. Is there as much of a party atmosphere on the ship, what is the age of the majority of travelers.

We had been on NCL in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean prior to the South America trip. In our experience, the timing of the trips seemed to influence the age and demeanor of the travelers; however, in all cases we found our fellow passengers to be pleasant and in good spirits (I guess everyone was happy to be on a cruise).

Two of our trips were during winter holidays - and there were families with some children. The Caribbean cruises we have taken tended to shorter and the age of travelers a bit younger.

This south america trip included a wonderful diversity of nationalities - more than 40 nations represented among the passengers - which added to our experience meeting people while traveling. We did not consider this trip to have a 'party atmosphere' (but that might depend on where you spend your time on the trip).

Curly1929

You have me beat by one continent. I will have Africa yet to do. I can let you know about the parka when I return on March 3, that is if my excursion happens or is cancelled.

Thanks much. I'll look forward to your posting. I've not eb able to get much information from the Shore Excursion gal.

Just booked this for March 28th, 2010....it's going to be a long 14 months!

Chez, you can find the excursion on NCL website. I looked at it and I would love to do the do it but $2,499??? That works out to something like $4 a minute!.... to much for my wallet!

Clay

Clay,

Its a trip of a lifetime and only $4/minute. How much did that carpet in Istanbul cost you? Enjoy the trip!

Jim

IT'S AN ACTUAL LANDING. I AM BOOKED FOR THE 2/15/09 CRUISE. ALTHOUGH I AM TOLD THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE IT WILL BE CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER - I AM READY!!!!

Adult Pricing From: $2499

Don't miss this chance to experience the beauty of a continent once used exclusively for scientific research, in comfort and safety. The Arctic is a mass of land under a very thick layer of ice. Animals don't even live here because it's so isolated. Board a BAE-146 airplane and head south, over the Strait of Magellan, the mythical Tierra del Fuego island, Darwin's mountain range, Beagle Channel and Cape Horn. See the Drake Passage, the stretch of water that lies between South America and Antarctica. Cross the Antarctic Convergence, where the southern oceans collide with the closed circumpolar Antarctic Ocean, the natural boundary of Antarctica. Then, your flight continues to King George Island, the largest of the 20 islands and islets that form the archipelago of the South Shetland Islands and final destination of your expedition. During this approximately 2 1/2-hour flight, learn about this magical continent, its history, geography, wildlife, politics, research, and human presence. Special emphasis will be made not to add more stress to this fragile and unique ecosystem (IAATO Guidelines of Conduct for Antarctica Visitors available on provided onboard). A brunch will be served on board. Finally, land at Frei Base managed by the Chilean Air force. The layout of the base may not seem appealing to the eye as it's situated on an ice free area of the island although the glaciers are in view and there may not be snow, but for logistical purposes, the less snow the better. Once again, all facilities on land are for supporting the research conducted by scientists, so don't be surprised at not finding upscale accommodations. There are no transportation facilities so all must be done by foot, requiring participants to be physically fit. According to weather conditions on that day, you may visit the Base, take a 1-mile walk downhill on a dirt road or hop on a zodiac to visit a very special island. The island, Ardley, an SSSI, Site of Special Scientific Interest, is one of the most highly protected areas within Antarctica - three species of penguins breed there. Because of its status only 20 people are allowed on the island at a time (this has been determined by the scientists that work there) so relays are mandatory and you are accompanied by a certified Antarctic guide. Another possibility is to walk towards a beach that may be populated by southern elephant seals and Antarctic fur seals. All visits depend on the day's weather but, the goal is to make the most of the approximately 5 1/2 hours that are spent on land. Longer time is not a choice due to the ship's departure time from Punta Arenas. Note: Participants must be at least 12 years of age and physically fit. You'll receive a red Antarctic parka as an exclusive memento of your once in a lifetime landing adventure. No smoking is allowed. In the event of inclement weather, tour will run as Torres del Paine National Park and price will be adjusted. NCL reserves the right to assess cancellation fees, based on capacity, on cancellations made within 15 days of tour. This tour is not available during the sailing of December 21, 2008.

Archived