Back from South America! Any questions?

buckeye82

You didn't mention whether you enjoyed the cruise. I hope you did. I loved my Cape Horn cruise back in 2000 on the Norwegian Crown. Did you get to see the penguins at Punta Tombo? That was one of the many highlights for me on that cruise.

We have just returned from our South America cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires on the NCL Sun. If anyone would like any information we are willing to try our best to answer questions.:)

Did you get your air through NCL or did you purchase it separately? And what are air costs like (about the only thing that keeps me from considering this cruise - I would LOVE to do S.A.)

We have just returned from our South America cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires on the NCL Sun. If anyone would like any information we are willing to try our best to answer questions.:)

Where do I start? We have thought about this on and off. Thinking of taking 82 year old Mother.

How was the scenery?

How many ports did you feel that an excursion was needed, vs just walking around or staying onboard?

How many ports were tendered?

Transfers in Santiago - I think it is about 100 miles.

General weather?

General food - I know this gets beat to death, but...

How cold did it get and how rough was the ride around the Horn?

Thanks

d man

On my Cape Horn cruise back in 2000, it was very cold and windy out on deck when we sailed around the Cape. Only a few hearty souls braved the open decks. I would say it was around 40-45 degrees but the wind chill made it feel much colder. And it was also fairly turbulent, enough to force you to be careful when walking. All that said, I loved it.

Keep in mind that temps for this cruise vary greatly. When you start out (either in BA or Santiago), it could easily be 90 degrees and all you will need is a t-shirt. But by the time you reach the Strait of Magellan or the Falklands, it will be chilly.

How about posting a review of your cruise for starters? Difficult to ask Qs when we don't know how your cruise went!

I would love to hear a review- we are on the Jan 18th sailing around the horn.

Here's my specific questions....

How was the weather?

Any REALLY rough seas??

Did you make all the ports- specifically the Falklands??

Looking forward to your reply!

Hi everyone, first time on these forums.

Sailed on Norwegian Sun from Buenos Aires on 7th Dec, arriving in Valparaiso on 21st Dec 2008. What an amazing trip !!!

Just posted a review. ( John G )

To answer a couple of questions.

Did get to the Falklands. The seas were very calm on the passage from Puerto Madryn, & the night sky so clear. Did some star gazing with the Cruise Director. It blew up a bit early morning as we approached the islands, ( which apparently is typical ), but once anchored in Port William, it calmed down again. We tendered across to Port Stanley, through the narrow harbour entrance, taking about 15 minutes. The day then got warmer. lovely sunshine. In fact i got a little too sunburnt. Remember that the ozone layer is very thin here, so its easy to burn. Didn't book any excursions as i had been here before, so i wanted to show my wife around the town. However, plenty to do, whether you go independent or on a NCL excursion. Also, at the jetty in Stanley, is a very good visitors centre, with free guide books & leaflets, & lots of friendly advice from the staff.

Our passage to Cape Horn again was relatively calm, arriving in the area late afternoon. The winds increased in strength as we approached the cape, but i never really noticed the seas, too interested in the incredible views, & the stark beauty of it all. It was quite misty, but it just added to the atmosphere. Saw the albatross monument, the small military post, & the huge flag. Waves were crashing against the rocks. Occasionally, rocks were exposed in the sea some distance from the cape, it shows how treacherous these seas can be.

The Sun sailed right round the island, giving us great views. It became very windy. We were fortunate in having a starboard balcony stateroom, so watched it all unfold in comfort.

What an experience, I got quite emotional seeing Cape Horn. Would recommend the experience to anyone who has just a tiny bit of adventure or curiosity in them.

I'm sure we were fortunate with the weather here, but even when the seas became a little rougher later in the cruise, The Sun took it in her stride. Nevertheless, we took precautions with medication, as even a gentle roll can have an affect.

Hope this helps

dman -

Cindy (wernew2cruising) told me they offered the $20 laundry bag special 3 times on her cruise (sames as robin's).

She graciously met my mom and I and 2 other pax that will be on the Sun with us (Marc and Linda) last night and spent 3 hours with us showing us a slide presentation on her computer (breathtaking) and answering all our questions. She had all of the freestyle daily sheets for us. It was wonderful.

Thanks again, Cindy!!!!!

Hi everyone, first time on these forums.

Sailed on Norwegian Sun from Buenos Aires on 7th Dec, arriving in Valparaiso on 21st Dec 2008. What an amazing trip !!!

Just posted a review. ( John G )

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=50867

To answer a couple of questions.

Did get to the Falklands. The seas were very calm on the passage from Puerto Madryn, & the night sky so clear. Did some star gazing with the Cruise Director. It blew up a bit early morning as we approached the islands, ( which apparently is typical ), but once anchored in Port William, it calmed down again. We tendered across to Port Stanley, through the narrow harbour entrance, taking about 15 minutes. The day then got warmer. lovely sunshine. In fact i got a little too sunburnt. Remember that the ozone layer is very thin here, so its easy to burn. Didn't book any excursions as i had been here before, so i wanted to show my wife around the town. However, plenty to do, whether you go independent or on a NCL excursion. Also, at the jetty in Stanley, is a very good visitors centre, with free guide books & leaflets, & lots of friendly advice from the staff.

Our passage to Cape Horn again was relatively calm, arriving in the area late afternoon. The winds increased in strength as we approached the cape, but i never really noticed the seas, too interested in the incredible views, & the stark beauty of it all. It was quite misty, but it just added to the atmosphere. Saw the albatross monument, the small military post, & the huge flag. Waves were crashing against the rocks. Occasionally, rocks were exposed in the sea some distance from the cape, it shows how treacherous these seas can be.

The Sun sailed right round the island, giving us great views. It became very windy. We were fortunate in having a starboard balcony stateroom, so watched it all unfold in comfort.

What an experience, I got quite emotional seeing Cape Horn. Would recommend the experience to anyone who has just a tiny bit of adventure or curiosity in them.

I'm sure we were fortunate with the weather here, but even when the seas became a little rougher later in the cruise, The Sun took it in her stride. Nevertheless, we took precautions with medication, as even a gentle roll can have an affect.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your review ( posted the link in the middle of your post), John. I really want to go.

Did you spend as much on excursions as your cruise fare, though? Give us some ball park figures for those all day treks. Thanks

"Did get to the Falklands. The seas were very calm on the passage from Puerto Madryn, & the night sky so clear. Did some star gazing with the Cruise Director"

We are thinking about doing this cruise and my husband loves to star gaze. Did you have really clear skys? Was it possible to get the ship to turn off or down some lights on top deck so you could eliminate some of the light pollution? Was this an organized event or did you just invite the CD to join you in star gazing.

Did you have any lectures about South America on the ship during your sea days?

Where would you suggest for a sail-away get together on the Sun?

Were there any photography classes in their NCLU?

Did you like your captain? Cruise Director?

We leave in two weeks and are getting excited!! :)

Will be on same trip in March. First time cruiers though!

Considering the Antarctic excursion. Do you have any feedback on it? Minor question about it; when do they give out the parkas?

What were your favorite excursions? The Canopy zipline at Puerto Montt sounds exciting and scary.

"Did get to the Falklands. The seas were very calm on the passage from Puerto Madryn, & the night sky so clear. Did some star gazing with the Cruise Director"

We are thinking about doing this cruise and my husband loves to star gaze. Did you have really clear skys? Was it possible to get the ship to turn off or down some lights on top deck so you could eliminate some of the light pollution? Was this an organized event or did you just invite the CD to join you in star gazing.

The star gazing was an organised event. The first date was postponed because of mist, but it was reorganised for the following night at 2230. It was held forward on the top deck, & the Cruise Director, ( Andrea ) guided us across the very clear sky, using a laser pen. brilliant. It really was a great event. Even the Captain joined the group. At a guess, I would say there were several hundred guests there. Even a shooting star was arranged.!!!

A similar event was arranged for the second week.

At this particular point on the ship, you really do get a great view of the stars. Some light polution from the ship, looking aft, nevertheless, still pretty clear. It was great to be able to go out at night & identify the real Southern Cross, not the imitators !

Andrea, our CD, also conducted several lectures in the main theatre on The Cosmos. Great presentations, well attended. Very talented guy.

Thanks for your review ( posted the link in the middle of your post), John. I really want to go.

Did you spend as much on excursions as your cruise fare, though? Give us some ball park figures for those all day treks. Thanks

thanks for posting the link, forgot to do it.

As regards excursions, we booked these in advance of our cruise through the NCL website. Some are very popular, so we wanted to ensure we were on them.

Highlights Of Montevideo 55$ each about 3 hours

Punta Tombo Penguins 135$ each full day incl boxed lunch

Ushuaia in Depth 139$ each 5 hours incl BBQ lunch

Treking at Andino Park Punta Arenas 89$ each 3 hours incl snack

Petrohue Falls & Lake Esmeralda @ Puerto Montt 149$ full day incl lunch

Santiago+Conch Y Tora ( ship to airport) 149$ full day incl lunch

All on coaches, very comfortable, & with guides.

We enjoyed all the excursions, a little pricey maybe, but on this occasion its what we wanted. All organised for us + secure.

Next time, would research independent trips having now experienced the area.

Did you have any lectures about South America on the ship during your sea days?

Where would you suggest for a sail-away get together on the Sun?

Were there any photography classes in their NCLU?

Did you like your captain? Cruise Director?

We leave in two weeks and are getting excited!! :)

You will have a great time.

There were some lectures organised. I attended two, the first on 'Plate Tectonics' ,earthquakes, mountain formations & volcanoes & relevance to the area we were visiting, & the second on 'Dinosaurs of South America'. Again, relevant, especially with the finds displayed in the museum near Puerto Madryn. The lecturer was a retired professor from Ohio.

Presentation ok, but great topics.

Fairly certain there were photography workshops organised, just not my thing. But all listed on your daily news.

Cruise Director was Italian, Andrea. Very, very good.

I think the Captain was from Finland, + with Andrea kept up a constant flow of information.

As regards the sail away, we watched Buenos Aires disappearing into the distance from our balcony with a glass or two of wine.

Lots of questions, but no answers. Not slamming the OP, but in reality after a cruise some people get back to their real life and are not active here.

Which is exactly the reason folks looking for answers should use the search or least scan through a few pages worth of postings. Some questions can get quick and easy answers. This topic is full of unanswered questions.

Will be on same trip in March. First time cruiers though!

Considering the Antarctic excursion. Do you have any feedback on it? Minor question about it; when do they give out the parkas?

What were your favorite excursions? The Canopy zipline at Puerto Montt sounds exciting and scary.

The Antarctic excusion was cancelled for some reason on our cruise. I think I heard that ground crew were on strike. Could be wrong.

We enjoyed all the excusions. Every port of call is so different.

The penguins at Punta Tombo is something we will never forget, even if it was a long journey. Seeing Montevideo, another capital city to tick off.

Wandering around Port Stanley, spending some ££££, having a pub lunch;

treking through a forest high above Punta Arenas looking across to Tierra del Fuego; enjoying a BBQ lamb lunch in the mountains close to Ushuaia;

taking a cruise on Lake Esmeralda, on our excursion from Puerto Montt, surrounded by vocanoes-- spectacular; & seeing Santiago, another beautiful capital city & enjoying a glass of wine at the Conch Y Tora winery.

I'm sat at home now looking at my globe, & the map of South America.

Still can't believe we were there.

Archived