Could use help to narrow down cruise selection

Sdallnct

Wife and I were going to go on a cruise last summer and it just didn't happen. This year (November) is our 20 year anniversary and pretty sure we want to do a cruise.

I'm looking for something a little unusual or different. We have cruised many a time (me 8-9, wife about a dozen). However, in these economic times, want to stay on a budget. We have cruised out of Florida, Texas, Canada (for Alaska) and California.

But here is the deal, I have plenty of air miles, and we are willing to be flexible on when we go. We don't need or have to go in November, in fact, summer would likely be better.

Probably stick to a 7 day cruise, but certainly no more then 10.

My first thought was to fly to Hawaii and do the Pride of America. We haven't done NCL since they switched to free style so that might be fun. Plus if we do the 7 day cruise, we could fly in a day or two early and enjoy the sites of Hawaii. Both of us have been to Hawaii, but of course not cruising.

Any other suggestions? Maybe Europe? I'm just thinking for this time, something we likely wouldn't do again and certainly haven't done before.

Having done the 10 day Pride of Aloha cruise last year, that would be my first choice if I were in your shoes.

I would again go in February as the whale activity was truly awesome. "Unlimited" frequent flyer miles would have me fly into Maui for a couple of days before the cruise. The island is gorgeous. After Maui I would fly to Honolulu to board the ship.

The ONLY thing that makes me not do the Hawaiian cruise again is the airfare.

If you do decide to go that route be sure to check out the Hawaii boards on cruise critic.

IMHO flying long distances is not worth it for a 7 day voyage unless you combine some land days at your destination pre or post cruise. Have fun deciding on your cruise.

Well that is what I'm thinking. Getting to the islands maybe two full days before the cruise.

However, again, thinking of "value", does it make sense to spend what $300-400 on a hotel on Hawaii for two days or does it make more sense to just do a longer cruise? Obviously the per day cost of a cruise goes down, the longer you go.

If I were making this decision, I would go somewhere we haven't been before, and consider it a "trip of a lifetime" decision. My top 3 choices for this type of cruise (excluding Alaska since you've been there) would be Eastern Mediterranean to include Greek Isles/Turkey possibly the Holy Land; Northern Europe to include St Petersburg; or Australia/New Zealand since you could use the frequent flier miles to eliminate the airfare problem with this destination. I am sure Hawaii is fabulous, and it is definitely on our list of places to go, but DH and I prefer to see something new when we can.

First of all, in honesty, I will say I'm not at all an NCL fan, especially for the POA, as they are known to have some service issues and not good food.

If you want something truly special, and have the air miles, I would highly suggest something like the Baltic, British Isles or Greek cruises. Those are truly wonderful itineraries and are very special.

Sdallnct,

One word. Tahiti.

Fly into Papeete and board either the Pacific Princess or the Paul Gaugiun. If you have a few more day after your cruise stay at the resort in Moorea.

After you have been to Tahiti, Hawaii will feel crowded and spoiled by the masses.

Hi:

I have been on the POA Hawaiian cruise back in 2007 (January). Personally, Hawaii is beautiful but NCL left a little bad taste in my mouth. The service was below what I expected.

Go somewhere special like the Mediterrean, I think you would enjoy it.

The only issue I have with the recommendations for a Med or Euro weeks cruise is the high cost of excursions which would definitely affect the bottom line. Our excursions far exceeded our cruise fare in the Med and we were in a Concierge Class cabin on the Celebrity Millenium. We are waiting for the Baltic 2010 schedules and already know that we will face the same issues.

Our next cruise is a mini repo from Ft. Lauderdale to Colon, Panama. The itinerary is a new one for us and something a little different.

Look for something different or look for one of the newer ships which are a destination in themselves.

Archived