Visas On European Cruises

FSA

Hi All,

My DW and I are on a 12-Night Eastern Mediterranean on NCL Jade. It stops for a day at Izmir and for two days in Alexandria.

My question to you knowledgeable folk is: Will we need to obtain entry visas for either country before we arrive for Check-In in Barcelona (Or am I hearing right that the visa can be obtained onboard at the port of entry in both countries). The cruise returns to Barcelona, so these are Ports of Call and not the termination point for the cruise.

Basically I am looking for reassurance that we don't need to do anything before the cruise regarding visas for these countries.

Izmir and Alexandria are cities, not countries. If you are on a cruise ship and just spending a day in Turkey, you don't need a tourist visa. You don't need a visa for Egypt if you are cruise ship passenger and you aren't staying more than three days.

See my more detailed answer to you on your posting on the Africa/Middle East board. You do not need to do anything.

Many, many thanks. That's the kind of clear answer I was hoping someone could give me. I am very grateful to you.

Just off Jade.

As long as you remain a cruise passenger and do not start or end the cruise in either Turkey or Egypt, you do not need visas. The ship handles your Egyptian visa.

But you be better off being vaccinated against Typhoid for your Egyptian stop. We did. In other thread, I think it was the roll call, a guy came down with typhoid fever after having gone on a little Nile river cruise and there was a water skiier nearby. (water is full of parasites) He was on a private tour, I think. We went on the ship's tour that was excellent.

Just off Jade.

As long as you remain a cruise passenger and do not start or end the cruise in either Turkey or Egypt, you do not need visas. The ship handles your Egyptian visa.

But you be better off being vaccinated against Typhoid for your Egyptian stop. We did. In other thread, I think it was the roll call, a guy came down with typhoid fever after having gone on a little Nile river cruise and there was a water skiier nearby. (water is full of parasites) He was on a private tour, I think. We went on the ship's tour that was excellent.

Many thanks Blue. It was good of you to post a response. That info is really good to hear. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the visa issue anymore. Your point about vaccinations is well taken, although we do not plan to do anything that will take us near the Nile (unfortunately).

BTW - What did you think of the Jade? Is the food good? Would love to know.

Thanks again.

Many thanks Blue. It was good of you to post a response. That info is really good to hear. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the visa issue anymore. Your point about vaccinations is well taken, although we do not plan to do anything that will take us near the Nile (unfortunately).

BTW - What did you think of the Jade? Is the food good? Would love to know.

Thanks again.

Lovely ship, great and friendly crew and service, excellent/very good food (for us, that is). We loved the ship AND the itinerary. Weather was cool-very cold but we didn't care. Our DS had great time in Teens Club - we hardly saw him!

• 2 weeks later...
Just off Jade.

Wondering if you know if it is true that the ship will provide visa in this case - my mother is a New Zealand passport holder with US green card (she has lived in US for 60+ years). We were told she would be provided visa and now, with 3 weeks til cruise, told she needs visa. Going to Alexandria and taking ship's excursion. Thanks.

Wondering if you know if it is true that the ship will provide visa in this case - my mother is a New Zealand passport holder with US green card (she has lived in US for 60+ years). We were told she would be provided visa and now, with 3 weeks til cruise, told she needs visa. Going to Alexandria and taking ship's excursion. Thanks.

Ship takes all passports at embarkation time and return them to you the day before the Alexandria stop with visa stamp in it.

Then ship takes all passports at departure time from Alexandria (on 2nd day), and return them after Izmir.

As long as you are on the ship and do not disembark in either Egypt or Turkey you do not need visas.

Archived