Anniversary package worth it?

starrian

I don't quite see how the $79.00 anny. pkg. is worth it: $30 for 2 Le Bistro dinners, $10 + $10 for wine and sparkling wine = $50. Choc. strawberries, canapes (who needs 'em with all the free food?), and a cake party (which I think I heard doesn't always occur on the Sky) worth $29.00? I don't think so--and I hope I don't sound too much like a grump. What I am is tight!:)

Am I doing the math wrong? Is the wine better than $10 each?

I don't know exactly what the cost of a bottle of wine is on the Sky but I doubt it's only $10 per bottle, considering that you'd never find a bottle of wine in a restaurant for that little back home, let alone on a cruise ship. While you might find a $10 bottle of wine in the grocery store, you need to compare it to prices in a restaurant or bar for a real comparison.

I don't know exactly what the cost of a bottle of wine is on the Sky but I doubt it's only $10 per bottle, considering that you'd never find a bottle of wine in a restaurant for that little back home, let alone on a cruise ship. While you might find a $10 bottle of wine in the grocery store, you need to compare it to prices in a restaurant or bar for a real comparison.

Right! Very good point. I was thinking of grocery store--and what we might be able to bring on.... Thanks.

Right! Very good point. I was thinking of grocery store--and what we might be able to bring on.... Thanks.

Well, assume you go to the grocery store and buy a $10 bottle of wine to carry on. You're still going to have to pay the $15 corkage fee on board the ship, bringing it to $25/bottle.

So, now a better comparison is $30 dinner for two at Le Bistro, two bottles of wine carried on at a cost of $15 each, and the photo at $10, plus the extra random food in your cabin that you don't really need since there's always food available on board, and a cake party. Even so, that appears to be a cost of $90 total not including any cost for the food that you weren't interested in, which is already more than the package.

Going by this bar menu that I found (http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/5631177_UJy3K#346059675_4F6ZP) the lowest priced bottles of wine that they seem to offer are a $32 Alderbrook Chardonnay, a $34 S. Francis Merlot, and a $22 Beringer White Zin. The house wine only seems to be offered by the glass rather than by the bottle. The lowest priced bottle of sparkling wine that they seem to offer is a $38 Aneri Prosecco di Valdobbiadene.

So, let's say you got a bottle of white at Le Bistro and the prosecco in the cabin at embarkation with your strawberries, this is $70 in bottles right there, plus the Le Bistro at $30 and the photo at $10. So $110?

Of course, the bottle of wine with dinner is probably house wine, and we don't see a price for that. But assume it's at least $25 and I doubt that they have yet a different sparkling wine just for the package other than the lowest priced one on their wine list.

Either way, it seems to be a rather good deal.

The two dinners total $30..the pic is $10...$39 towards the wine at the restaurant and the sparkling wine/strawberries in the cabin and the cake at dinner (if you order a cake it's usually 10-15 dollars I think....

The wine choices are okay and I think certainly cost more than $10 a bottle

I still think it's worth it..nice to enter the cabin and see the little note and chocolate covered strawberrie and the chillin wine

The anniversary party is fun..couples tell a little about themselves if they want to....it's usually on the 1st sea day...the photographer comes...it's run by one of the Cruise Director's Staff...

At the dinner the wait staff sings to you and most people in there are also celebrating something so it's really rather specail

I did it with my significant other each time we've cruised since we hear about it and have enjoyed it everytime..

sometimes we waste $79 on less memorable items.......it works for us...JMHO... happy sailing to all...GO NAVY>>>Marla

Yep, cheapest wine onboard is $30 a bottle, pretty much the same if you were at a restaurant at home, give or take a few bucks.

Just about everyone that orders this package believes it is a good deal.

So I've noticed.... And I forgot about the photo. I just may spring for it.:)

The two dinners total $30..the pic is $10...$39 towards the wine at the restaurant and the sparkling wine/strawberries in the cabin and the cake at dinner (if you order a cake it's usually 10-15 dollars I think....

The wine choices are okay and I think certainly cost more than $10 a bottle

I still think it's worth it..nice to enter the cabin and see the little note and chocolate covered strawberrie and the chillin wine

The anniversary party is fun..couples tell a little about themselves if they want to....it's usually on the 1st sea day...the photographer comes...it's run by one of the Cruise Director's Staff...

At the dinner the wait staff sings to you and most people in there are also celebrating something so it's really rather specail

I did it with my significant other each time we've cruised since we hear about it and have enjoyed it everytime..

sometimes we waste $79 on less memorable items.......it works for us...JMHO... happy sailing to all...GO NAVY>>>Marla

Anyone know if the Sky actually does a real party for you?

I don't quite see how the $79.00 anny. pkg. is worth it: $30 for 2 Le Bistro dinners, $10 + $10 for wine and sparkling wine = $50. Choc. strawberries, canapes (who needs 'em with all the free food?), and a cake party (which I think I heard doesn't always occur on the Sky) worth $29.00? I don't think so--and I hope I don't sound too much like a grump. What I am is tight!:)

Am I doing the math wrong? Is the wine better than $10 each?

It is the best deal at sea: $30.00 for dinner, $at least $25.00 for wine plus the wine in the cabin, another $25.00. Now add strawberries, the party (if you bother) the photo, what do you think?

NIta

Actually, this is the only photo we ever get. Can not bring myself to spend $10-$20 for a single pic. I must admit, my heart was broken when I left the picture of my wife and I with a 6 ft tall dolphin at the gangplank!

I plan on getting this pkg also. It does sound good.

I really liked the one I got on Carnival last year which was as follows;

colorful Carnival "high seas" gift box, two Carnival logo Pocket T-shirts with two matching visors, plush Carnival logo terrycloth beach towel, a bar credit (four drink coupons:D),a Photo Coupon, plus, a bottle of Korbel Champagne and two engraved champagne flutes to mark our special occasion. Also, $79 at the time. (now $82)

We did it last year on the Star to Alaska...we enjoyed it and thought it was a good buy and a nice beginning for our cruise vacation. Don't get hung up comparing the prices of each item...all together I thought it was very nice and added a "specialness" to the La Bistro dinner. JMHO

Omigosh, now all you cruisin' pros have gotten me so excited about this! I'm signing up for sure. It sounds neat. It will be a surprise for my sweetheart!

Cool! Have fun! Let us know what you think when you get back! ;)

Quick question...how can you book this? Do you have to fax the form in (there's a form for download on the website) or can it be done some other way?

I hate faxing...it's a pain in the butt. :p

Phone NCL @ 1-866-625-1166 for the Anniersary Package, have your cruise details handy and a credit card - just arranged it yesterday for the 1/26 sailing and received an email confirmation right back - it was great service.

Phone NCL @ 1-866-625-1166 for the Anniersary Package, have your cruise details handy and a credit card - just arranged it yesterday for the 1/26 sailing and received an email confirmation right back - it was great service.

If I remember correctly, you must purchase this package two weeks before sailing. Am I right on this, guys?

Go for it!

If I remember correctly, you must purchase this package two weeks before sailing. Am I right on this, guys?

Go for it!

Affirmative - 2 weeks prior to sailing is the instruction from the NCL Website - guess it gives them time to chill the Champers...

Does anyone know if there are any other anniversary celebrations besides the $79 package? When I first booked our cruise, I mentioned to the TA that we were celebrating our anniversary onboard. She emailed back and said she added "an anniversary celebration" and that we would be getting a card in our stateroom that we needed to bring to the dining room of our choice.

Anyone know what we're getting? Is this a cake?

Does anyone know if there are any other anniversary celebrations besides the $79 package? When I first booked our cruise, I mentioned to the TA that we were celebrating our anniversary onboard. She emailed back and said she added "an anniversary celebration" and that we would be getting a card in our stateroom that we needed to bring to the dining room of our choice.

Anyone know what we're getting? Is this a cake?

Yes, you will receive a cake and they will sing to you. :) I think its nice, and the cake is pretty good too.

• 2 weeks later...
Remember, too, if you don't care for their selection of wine, you can pay an upcharge for a bottle of your choice.

We don't care for the sparkling wine and have taken it along to dinner at any of the venues and exchanged it for something else. No problem!

Thank you for this tip...I don't care for "sparkling wine" either and even though the NCL rep on the phone said we could substitute another wine, I was advised today by the ship coordinator (via email) that they cannot "customize" any of the Bon Voyage packages :(

Would you happen to know what night they usually bring the canapes to your cabin on a 4 night cruise?

Archived