What's a good book to read while on a cruise??....

gator2700

The two books by Ken Follett, "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End". The first is about a man who builds cathedrals in Europe in the 12th century, and the second book picks up in the same area 200 years later. I read the first and loved it - just got the 2nd and haven't started it yet - hoping it's as good as the first.

Just a side note to this thread - I normally go to my local goodwill store and look for books to bring and read. Paperbacks are .75 each, so even if I have the book at home, I will buy one for this price - that way, if it gets wet, suntan lotion gets on it, or I forget it somewhere on ship - no biggie. Also, if it's a book I've never read before, if I don't like it enough to re-read then I leave it on the ship. Last cruise I took 5 or 6 paperbacks and not one of them came back with me.

The two books by Ken Follett, "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End". The first is about a man who builds cathedrals in Europe in the 12th century, and the second book picks up in the same area 200 years later. I read the first and loved it - just got the 2nd and haven't started it yet - hoping it's as good as the first.

Just a side note to this thread - I normally go to my local goodwill store and look for books to bring and read. Paperbacks are .75 each, so even if I have the book at home, I will buy one for this price - that way, if it gets wet, suntan lotion gets on it, or I forget it somewhere on ship - no biggie. Also, if it's a book I've never read before, if I don't like it enough to re-read then I leave it on the ship. Last cruise I took 5 or 6 paperbacks and not one of them came back with me.

Did you cruise on the Glory? I found 3 paperbacks and a hardbound book and read them all!

O gosh, I love her books, I literally laugh out loud when I read her series books. I am from NY, so I can totally picture and hear the characters, the grandmother is a HOOT!

me, too! I will definitely toss in 2 of her books for my 14-day Pride cruise in March! I'll be the one sitting by the pool chuckling out loud!!

Two of my favorite book categories!

I could come up with a zillion bio and mystery recommendations and can seceond several already suggested.

On my last cruise, I brought 35 books (all shoved into my kindle e-book). I really enjoyed "All fishermen are liars" by Linda Greenlaw. Something about reading about life on the sea while on the sea was perfect.

If you like Carl hiassen, Tim Dorsey is a nice complement.

me, too! I will definitely toss in 2 of her books for my 14-day Pride cruise in March! I'll be the one sitting by the pool chuckling out loud!!

I love Stephanie Plum! I will never forget reading the first book on a plane, and laughing so much that the girl sitting next to me had to ask what I was reading! I even got my mom and dad into them.

JD Robb's "In Death" series are also a favorite - murder mysteries with humor and romantic sleaze thrown in for fun.

For the easiest, sleaziest reads - go for Joanna Lindsey. She puts alot of them aboard Pirate Ships - especially the Malory ones.

Give me a good mystery and I'm a happy girl! Anything by Robert B. Parker, Patricia Cornwell, Mary Higgins Clark, James Patterson, Sandra Brown, Jonathan Kellerman, Iris Johansen, J. A. Jance. Love Janet Evanovich's "number series"....first one called "One for the Money" ~ latest is "Fearless Fourteen". Another good series is by Diane Mott Davidson.....the main character is a caterer named Goldy and each book has a food related title with a play on words......like "Dark Torte", "Sticks & Scones"....fun books.

Good luck, and happy reading! :)

I just recently have read a lot of Iris Johansen and am loving the Eve Duncan series. I would also suggest Lisa Gardner books. She does some crime fiction and has a lot of continuity of characters without having to read in order.

Janet Evanovich 's number series books are AMAZING...Funny yet your still trying to figure out how its all going to end. Saving "Fearless Fourteen" for the cruise. She also has "between the numbers" books

I agree!! I took the last one on our cruise. I started it on the plane and the time flew. I took it to Fins and Flippers in Roatan and read it on the beach with my feet in the water! Life was very good :)

Azure, I bought that boo too! I couldn't decide which cruise boo to get so I caved and got both. If I can't be on a cruise, I'd rather read about one and pretend!

That book is next!

I'll be ordering Permanent Passenger with my next book order.

My last order was the Brian David Brun book and The Captain's Log: Around The World With Hans Mateboer by Hans Mateboer.

LOL! I agree about reading and pretending in between cruises :).

Happy reading...and cruising :cool:.

Greg Iles... Black Cross. http://www.gregiles.com/blackcross.htm

Haven't read it in a while, but still remains a top favorite. Most of his books are great reads, and quite a variety of themes.

Ann Rule, any. Not a fan of true crime, but her writing style is amazing. Read one of her books years ago, and anxiously await each paperback. She draws you in.

Michael Palmer and Robin Cook... both are physicians who write amazing medical mysteries. I do admit I'm having a difficult time getting into Michael Palmer's latest, The First Patient, but that's an exception rather than the rule.

Just finished the book Marley and Me. Hilarious, and much, much better than the movie.

I "discovered" Greg Iles two months ago and I have been scouring used book stores ever since trying to find all his titles and have been reading them sequentially. Before my cruise in Aug. I am going to spend a few days in Natchez, mostly because his books are peppered with references and the city sounds fascinating.

The entire Twilight Series! I read all 4 in about two weeks...could not put them down and wished there were more!

I'm almost too shy to say that I've read these books too. Just about to begin the 4th one. My daughter and I saw Twilight together and are now reading the books. You can read them quickly and they are pure escape fiction. Just in case you think I'm crazy, my day job is a college librarian.

Anything by David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs!

I second these! OMG, David Sedaris makes me laugh out loud when I read his books, people around me must think I'm nuts. I bought his newest book, "When You are Engulfed in Flames" and I made myself wait to read it until I cruised, and then I left it home. . .Oh well, it was just as good on my couch as on the Lido I suppose. If you have an ipod you should get his "Live at Carnegie Hall" show, that one had me laughing out loud on a plane like a crazy person.

I will give votes to Stephanie Plum every time. I LOVE JANET EVANOVICH! Grandma Mazur is so freaking funny... as is Lula. OMG. And they are such easy (and yet, GOOD) reads. I used to ride the train to work and I would be guffawing out loud... I gave them to my mother and SHE started laughing about them, just thinking about some of the things in these books.

However, since I don't see them mentioned, I will say that Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series is excellent...

Outlander

Dragonfly in Amber

Voyager

Drums of Autumn

Fiery Cross

Breath of Snowflakes and Ashes

It's about a 20th century woman who falls through a standing stone in Scotland and ends up in the 1700s... too good to tell the whole story, but this writer is really, REALLY good.

One other author I would be remiss by not mentioning is Jan Karon. Her "Mitford Years" series novels are such gentle fiction--just great storytelling.

They start out with At Home in Mitford, A Light in the Window, A Common Life, Out to Canaan, These High Green Hills... and then I forget the order, but they are listed in order in the front pages of her books. LOVE JAN KARON and the wonderful people in Mitford, NC!!!!

I'm with MomofZeke, love all those authors.

Stephanie Plum stuff rocks!!! Just got Plum Spooky but I'm gonna try to save it for my cruise in Feb, those are fun, easy read for cruising!!!

Also loved the Sweet Potato Queens, that was great.

But I'm all about the mystery stuff deep down, Cornwall, Patterson, Harris, Koontz

Bought "Dreams of my Father" and am going to try to read that one too in Feb. I'm NOT about biographies but I really want to get to know a little about our new President

My fav is just sitting on the balcony early in the morning reading and drinking coffee, sound of the ocean lapping the ship............ priceless when it's 5 below zero out, like here, now ugh.........

Carole

I'm with MomofZeke, love all those authors.

Stephanie Plum stuff rocks!!! Just got Plum Spooky but I'm gonna try to save it for my cruise in Feb, those are fun, easy read for cruising!!!

Also loved the Sweet Potato Queens, that was great.

But I'm all about the mystery stuff deep down, Cornwall, Patterson, Harris, Koontz

Bought "Dreams of my Father" and am going to try to read that one too in Feb. I'm NOT about biographies but I really want to get to know a little about our new President

My fav is just sitting on the balcony early in the morning reading and drinking coffee, sound of the ocean lapping the ship............ priceless when it's 5 below zero out, like here, now ugh.........

Carole

I can't believe so many people love Janet! I'm trying to get my mom to read the series. I got Plum Spooky as a late christmas present from my brother and finished it in like a few hours (i read very fast). it was one of the best.

I'm almost too shy to say that I've read these books too. Just about to begin the 4th one. My daughter and I saw Twilight together and are now reading the books. You can read them quickly and they are pure escape fiction. Just in case you think I'm crazy, my day job is a college librarian.

i dont think i could reccommend these books for a cruise...in fact im glad i didnt bring them on the cruise, it took me about 5 days to read all 4 of them because i couldnt put them down!!! :oi would have missed the entire cruise if i brought those books with me....they are so addicting and they totally take you in.

Now as for stephanie myer as an author-definately, her stand alone book-the host- i would definately say would be a cruise book. it still sucks you in just as her twilight series does, but its only one book so you wont loose your entire cruise to reading :p

I "discovered" Greg Iles two months ago and I have been scouring used book stores ever since trying to find all his titles and have been reading them sequentially. Before my cruise in Aug. I am going to spend a few days in Natchez, mostly because his books are peppered with references and the city sounds fascinating.

I'm really quite envious of you. :) You still have some of his books to look forward to... I can only reread them. :( At least until the next new paperback comes out!!!

Have you checked ebay? The last of his I read, True Evil... had quite a plot. Some Iles books are better than others, but all have been worth the read.

I like biographies and such. Not really into the romance novels. I do like mysteries too. Any suggestions? I'm going on a 7 day cruise with a forcast of rain, so I'll need to occupy my time with a book that will hold my interest for a while. :) Thanks

Their is a Great Book that came out in 2002 Called "CRUISE SHIP BLUES" It tells all the diffrent things that cruiselines spend Millions and Millions of $$ a year to try to keep "US" The customers from knowing ! It is a paperback and about 300 pages long and is VERY interesting ! Give it a try.. It didn't change my love for cruising but did give me some new prospective on some things..I bought it on E-Bay for $12.00