Zuiderdam 11/6 Review

kelelmel

[

lknick, what does Sandhurst have to do with a cruise ship?.....jean (another Brit)
Firstly, I am not a Brit even though I do have a place in Fulham.

Secondly, as a visiting lecturer, I have had better quarters in combat.

Thirdly, Sandhurst is one of the premier military academies in the world...at least it is good enough for the Royals. But many of the buildings are old and in need of maintenance. So I guess we should just close it down.

Fourthly, to judge everything without explaining your judgement is without merit. And that is my point.

Secondly, as a visiting lecturer, I have had better quarters in combat. Thirdly, Sandhurst is one of the premier military academies in the world...at least it is good enough for the Royals. But many of the buildings are old and in need of maintenance. So I guess we should just close it down.

But, so far as I know, Sandhurst has never claimed a "Signature of Excellence" for its accomodations or food!

-dave

Lokalona, it's too sad you had a bad cruise....

But how can you say food was mediocre...and then say you'll stick to RCI?

HAL's (and Zui's) food is much better than RCI's.

Mandy, I will double check again for you. Don't have access to that info. at this time.

Chris, Would definetely sail the Octopus next!! Do you think we would have access to the onboard submarine?

Lokalona, I agree with some of your points. The food in the dining room was mediocre, however, I did not feel it was any better or worse than the food I have had on RCCL and Carnival. I felt the food in the Lido was better than RCCL and about the same as Carnival.

I found most shows to be more entertaining than those I have seen in the past. The comedian did tell some old, corny jokes and her own material was much better, but I found her amusing nonetheless. I am not a huge fan of the singing and dancing and, therefore, was not overly impressed with their Showtime productions.

I was fortunate in that the fire did not affect me. I was in the stairwell at the time of the alarm and witnessed some passengers running for their lives. I decided to return to my cabin and await further instructions, which came promptly from the cruise director. I agree that Dane (the cruise director) had not fully composed him before getting on the PA, however, I think he was a little winded since he was unable to use the elevators and probably just ran up 10 flights of stairs.

My cabin (6078) was the best accomodations I have ever had. My only complaint was that the lighting was very poor (that might explain why all of my formal portraits came out so bad :p ).

The feedback I got from the other passengers was similiar to mine. None indicated that they were "Wowed" but still, they enjoyed themselves. The one complaint I heard repeatedly was that there was not enough to do. It seemed to me that there was more to do than was advertised. On multiple occasions we found out about events after they had taken place and many were disappointed that they were not aware of them.

My overall first experience with HAL (taking value strongly into consideration) was on par with the other lines I have cruised. I have only cruised on RCCL (4x) and Carnival (1x) in the past and that is my basis for comparison. I was initially a dedicated RCCL cruiser, however, was somewhat disappointed with my last 2 cruises, which is what motivated me to try other lines.

I indicated in my original post that I felt the ship looked worn for it's young age. What I meant is that the rugs were tattered, faded and stained in some areas, the red and yellow decor (seats, couches, etc..) were faded and balding in areas, the hallways were marred and dented throughout the ship and the elevators were worn. I don't think the bright decor was proving to be very sturdy. I was surprised at the young age of her, I thought she was much older simply by appearance. I am not implying that she was a total mess and completely neglected, I am simply stating that she was aging prematurely.

~Kelly

But, so far as I know, Sandhurst has never claimed a "Signature of Excellence" for its accomodations or food!
You're correct. Sandhurst [and St Cyre, Kingston, the Colegio Militar and the USMA] trains leaders and not whiners.

Lokalona, it's too sad you had a bad cruise....

But how can you say food was mediocre...and then say you'll stick to RCI?

HAL's (and Zui's) food is much better than RCI's.

Well, maybe the appetizers are better on HAL, but the actual food is not any different than the food I have had on most of my RCI cruises, there has been bad food there too. The best food on any cruise I have had has been on NCL freestyle cruises. They have restaurants similar to the Pinnacle, and the ones on RCI that are outstanding. Lido food and the similar area on RCI is about the same, the Cafe Promanade on RCI, Navigator, Voyager and Mariner is a wonderful little deli and snack place, pizza there too. The Johnny Rockets of course is a hit with teens and kids, so it has really no place on a HAL ship at this point since they have a way to go yet in cornering that market. I kept hearing such wonderful reviews about HAL's food and maybe on other ships it is wonderful, this was not that great, not horrible but not outstanding either. Granted I didn't have to cook it or clean up after so that was always a good thing. The lobster was good and no longer offered on RCI, the crab legs were very tiny, 4 small halves that were soaking in a watery butter mix that had a very strong smell. The Osso Buco was tough and the duck stringy and over cooked. The last night pasta choice was the wrong one. I happen to have worked in the restuarant industry for years. I've been to the trade shows all over, have eaten at many five star places, I didn't expect it to be equal to a five star due to the capacity which needs to be served of course, but rave about the food on HAL I won't. The Flambe' dessert was very good in the lounge, coffee drinks here wonderful as well. Very nicely presented and the wait staff enjoyable in this spot on the ship, I highly recommend doing this for dessert over the pick on the menu, it begins at 9:00pm most nights. They made a mean Cosmo in the Crows Nest lounge and it tasted the same in the dining room, very good, the other bars I tried could not mix this drink as well as the two I mentioned, it is a "fine tune" drink :) I realize I had an isolated several weird things happen, but to be brushed off like lint on a jacket is inexcuseable and I will see to it the situation is rectified so no one else will be taken for granted that has booked their vacation with HAL. The other items mentioned poor service, mediocre food, poor management needs to be addressed and it is obvious by past and present post this is an ongoing problem. This cruise line will suffer unless it brings it's standards back up to the par it has been known for. If this line continues to cut it's cost and service I see a dim future here, and many of the loyal HAL fans being dissapointed in the cruise line you all so enjoy.

Mandy, I double checked our revised itinerary and the info. I originally provided is accurate. Tues. in St. Thomas and Wed. in Tortola. Although you might want to email HAL and confirm it, couldn't hurt. Have fun!

~Kelly

Suffering from post cruise depression :(

So explain your observation that the ship was tired instead of shooting and run.

And, btw, when was the last time you were at Sandhurst? I'm there right now, helping [i hope] to train Britain's next generation of leaders.

What do you mean that you caught a fish on your balcony?

I am not answering for Chris...but we were on deck 5, balcony 5050, sea water was hitting our doors at times, not sea spray but actual gushes of water! So this is I am guessing how the fish came about upon his balcony.

Kelly, thanks so much for your review. It's a very thoughtful post and I think you are extremely fair in your expression. I also really appreciate the way you laid it out.

We were at sea during the gale force winds and 18' seas on the Oosterdam the same week so I know what everyone's talking about. It was quite a ride!!!:D

I'm not criticizing, Lokalona, but it is very difficult to read your posts because you never paragraph or separate your thoughts. It would be a big help if you could just space it out a little.

Kelly, thanks so much for your review. It's a very thoughtful post and I think you are extremely fair in your expression. I also really appreciate the way you laid it out.

We were at sea during the gale force winds and 18' seas on the Oosterdam the same week so I know what everyone's talking about. It was quite a ride!!!:D

I'm not criticizing, Lokalona, but it is very difficult to read your posts because you never paragraph or separate your thoughts. It would be a big help if you could just space it out a little.

Heather,

I often think faster than I can type, and have to speed type in a hurry most of what I post in between my busy workday, hence the spelling errors on occasion.

I will try to seperate my thoughts if it helps you to read my post, although I am the type who's thoughts tend to run together :)

I do so wish there was spell check available as I am dyslexic and have to re-read and fix "ie" "th" type of letter combinations, it is tedious.

Better?

Heather,

I often think faster than I can type, and have to speed type in a hurry most of what I post in between my busy workday, hence the spelling errors on occasion.

I will try to seperate my thoughts if it helps you to read my post, although I am the type who's thoughts tend to run together :)

I do so wish there was spell check available as I am dyslexic and have to re-read and fix "ie" "th" type of letter combinations, it is tedious.

Better?

Yes! much better. Lokalona, thanks for understanding this was really just a "gentle" suggestion. I wasn't really talking about the typos ... it was that your thoughts seem to run-on and together. When you separate your thoughts a little by paragraphs it just reads better.

I wasn't saying it just for my own personal reading because that would be a bit self involved:D ... I know a lot of us have trouble reading some posts that just go on and on in one paragraph.

So I'm just glad you took my suggestion the way it was intended:) ...I really hesitated to say anything because sometimes it's tough on paper.

These boards are for the friendly exchange of thoughts, observations and questions. There is no circumstance where name calling or nasty replies are appropriate, which is why a number of posts have been deleted from this thread.

Here's a post on another board made by LauraS, our Community Manager, when the situation got out of control. The folks posting to the HAL board are more considerate than they are on some other boards but I'm posting Laura's post to help get the discussion back where it belongs.

It is very rare that I have to post the following information, and honestly I don't really like having to do so.

As I believe you are all aware, it is a violation of our guidelines to harass another member, as well as post personal attacks toward another members.

This forum wouldn't be worth 2 cents if both positive and negative opinions weren't posted. While I realize many of you come here each day because you are fans of [cruise line] -- personal attacks directed towards individuals who do not share your views will not be tolerated.

Making insinuations regarding the intentions of posters -- an example would be to call someone a TROLL -- are inappropriate. Inappropriate posts will be removed. Depending on the severity of the attack, the member who made the post may result in a note from us, OR you may find your privileges have been permanently suspended -- without warning.

Conversely, if you feel you have been attacked or harassed, do not respond in kind. Instead, use the alert system (report.gif) we have here for that purpose and let us take care of it.

All nastiness will be removed from the boards...and anyone who participates may find themselves banned from Cruise Critic.

Thanks for your understanding.

These boards are for the friendly exchange of thoughts, observations and questions. There is no circumstance where name calling or nasty replies are appropriate, which is why a number of posts have been deleted from this thread.

While I'll quibble about whether or not I did either of these things (discussing the aspects of trolling is hardly the same as calling someone a troll, n'est-ce pas?), at least you appear to have done an effective, efficient, even-handed removal....

:rolleyes: -dave

What do you mean that you caught a fish on your balcony?

The morning of the storm we looked out on our balcony and there was a fish. The steward braved the elements and went out and collected it.

I wasn't going to win prizes in a competion at only abot 6 inches long. I do have a photo but i don't know how to post it.

Well, maybe the appetizers are better on HAL, but the actual food is not any different than the food I have had on most of my RCI cruises, there has been bad food there too. .

I don't know...We had really mediocre food (specially buffets) on Splendour of the Seas... On Zui they would make you omelette with onion, bacon..eggs to order, nothing like this on Splendour. (plus great fresh juice selection on HAL) Dinners on Zui were step above too. However service WAS better and quicker on RCI. (both in dining room and stateroom)

Archived