Travel with 3-year-old?

DH and I are considering a Mediterranean cruise next summer. Our son will be 3 at that time and I hate the idea of leaving him with relatives while we have a week by ourselves. I know it depends on my child's temperament, but what is the general opinion about cruising with a little guy that age? Is it too much for them, or do you think it can be a rewarding experience for all of us? And a slightly lesser question: is it worth the extra cost?

What has been your experience?

Oh boy .....here we go again.

Sorry - but this has been discussed before - sometimes to an extent that got out of hand.

You will get those who say NO NO NO and those who say YES YES YES

Only you know how your family travels and the little one especially.

While we always took our little ones with us - we never had the opportunity to travel to Europe with them. But they do have wonderful memories of Jamaica and other exotic places that they cherish.

It all depends on how you want to "experience" Europe and yes you would need to make adjustments for a 3 yr old.

With all that said.....if willing to make those adjustments I say go for it :D

You will get those who say NO NO NO and those who say YES YES YES

I understand. I guess I just wanted to hear a lot of positive reviews on traveling with toddlers in the Med.

And YES! Am willing to make adjustments for him. Since he's been in our lives, it's been one big adjustment. I guess I'm used to living life this way. :p

Hi Hucifer,

You mention in your first post going for one week. Would you be extending this at all if you take your son? If only a week, my concern would be the length of flights (usually an overnight flight there), adjustment to the time change and having time to enjoy yourselves before turning around and coming home again.

Hi Hucifer,

You mention in your first post going for one week. Would you be extending this at all if you take your son? If only a week, my concern would be the length of flights (usually an overnight flight there), adjustment to the time change and having time to enjoy yourselves before turning around and coming home again.

Hi Susan.

You're right about that! I hadn't considered it yet. If we take him, I know we'll have to be very accommodating to him.

We haven't worked out details at all, so right now I'm still trying to settle on the major stuff like cruise line, ports of call, exact month, who's going, etc. Too much to handle! I feel so overwhelmed with choices right now.

Archived