santorini cliff walk fira to oia

Has anyone done the cliff walk from Fira to Oia? Is there advantage going from fira to oia rather that oia to fira? Is is possible to take the bus from fira to imerovigli and then join the path along the cliffs? Is this walk anything like the one from village to village in Cinque Terre? Should the full walk be about 3 hours? (one way) Is there one part of the walk that is more picturesque than another? Since we have a long day in port, I thought this might be fun.

• 5 weeks later...
Has anyone done the cliff walk from Fira to Oia? Is there advantage going from fira to oia rather that oia to fira? Is is possible to take the bus from fira to imerovigli and then join the path along the cliffs? Is this walk anything like the one from village to village in Cinque Terre? Should the full walk be about 3 hours? (one way) Is there one part of the walk that is more picturesque than another? Since we have a long day in port, I thought this might be fun.

BUMP

Does anyone have any experience with this? We too are interested in learning more about this. We will be in Santorini is September and really enjoy walking and hiking. After the cruise we will be spending time in Cinque Terre doing the coastal walk.

Any insight on this would be really appreciated! :)

I first had posted this thread a month ago -no response. Glad to see others are looking into it. We are in port from 8am until 9pm so we have more time than most ships. Also we are going in mid may and I do not think it will be as hot as the previous post had during that visit.

I think it takes about 3 hrs or so. I have always heard it talked about from Oia to Fira and I have wondered why not in the other direction. I wonder if it is uphill one way and downhill the other??? I am mostly hoping to find someone who has actually done this and can say the path is well marked and safe. We love walking and the scenery is suppose to be gorgeous from the path.

We had planned to do it, but I pulled a calf muscle a couple of months before and it hadn't healed. We did go about 3 or 4 K before making our way out to the road right where the path started to get bad, low and behold, there was a bus stop right there, we waited about 10 minutes and the bus to Oia came along. I would have loved to have been able to complete it, but it was way too painful. The views from the path are incredible. If you can't do it all, I'd highly recommend doing what we did, you get the best of both worlds without hurting yourself.

We had planned to do it, but I pulled a calf muscle a couple of months before and it hadn't healed. We did go about 3 or 4 K before making our way out to the road right where the path started to get bad, low and behold, there was a bus stop right there, we waited about 10 minutes and the bus to Oia came along. I would have loved to have been able to complete it, but it was way too painful. The views from the path are incredible. If you can't do it all, I'd highly recommend doing what we did, you get the best of both worlds without hurting yourself.

I had been looking at a map and thought that the path comes close to the road at Imerovigli and if we got too tired we could catch a bus there. Is that where you caught the bus?? Did you actually start out at Fira and head for Oia? Were there many folks on the path? Did most seem to be going Fira to Oia direction or Oia to Fira?

We did the walk in CinqueTerre last year and it was so well marked but somewhat crowded. I get the impression this has far fewer people and the path is not so good all the way??? Am I off base??

I had been looking at a map and thought that the path comes close to the road at Imerovigli and if we got too tired we could catch a bus there. Is that where you caught the bus?? Did you actually start out at Fira and head for Oia? Were there many folks on the path? Did most seem to be going Fira to Oia direction or Oia to Fira?

We did the walk in CinqueTerre last year and it was so well marked but somewhat crowded. I get the impression this has far fewer people and the path is not so good all the way??? Am I off base??

To be honest, I don't know where the hell we were when we left the path ;) looking up from the water it was where all the building ended and started going into the open cliffs. We caught the first tender and other than people going to work, we were the only people on the path. We were heading from Fira to Oia.

To be honest, I don't know where the hell we were when we left the path ;) looking up from the water it was where all the building ended and started going into the open cliffs. We caught the first tender and other than people going to work, we were the only people on the path. We were heading from Fira to Oia.

Was it easy to find the start of the path in Fira? How long did it take you to get to where the buildings ended from Fira?

I think it takes about 3 hrs or so. I have always heard it talked about from Oia to Fira and I have wondered why not in the other direction. I wonder if it is uphill one way and downhill the other??? I am mostly hoping to find someone who has actually done this and can say the path is well marked and safe. We love walking and the scenery is suppose to be gorgeous from the path.

Some of the posts in my links above give specifics about length of time, how well marked the path is, etc.

Was it easy to find the start of the path in Fira? How long did it take you to get to where the buildings ended from Fira?

The path wasn't marked at all. If you use Susan's links it'll help you get started. The start of the path is right behind the cable car building when you get to the top. I'd say we were an hour getting to where we took the bus, lots of photo stops along the way.

Archived