INSIDE CABIN on Golden...A Big MISTAKE?! PLEASE ADVISE!

abster70

Hey Gang,

I'm new to cruising, this will be my first in Jan. '06 w/hubby for our 10 year anniversary and our first vacation alone in 6 years!:eek:

So, we decided to book early and the difference between an inside category I (Baja deck) and a balcony room across the hall is $700!!! :(

We agonized for DAYS before making the choice to do the inside cabin and here's why...please tell me if I am all wrong.

We'll be in port 6 out of 7 days, only 1 day at sea. (Southern Carrib. Explorer)

The money we save helps give us a serious head start in our shore excursion budget.

We chose to get an assigned cabin dead center ship and not do the guarantee. (Again, a mistake?) I am really worried about getting "upgraded" a part of the ship I do not want to stay (namely, low down, in front, or directly under a pool/club, noisy location. I am a SERIOUSLY light sleeper ever since I became a Mom. ;)

I also have NO idea how my body will react to sailing and have been told to stay mid-ship. A lot of the outside rooms without balcony are not in a very good area of the ship it seems. MANY also have obstructed views so what's the point of that?

I know balcony is the way to go, but $700?! We don't have a ton of money...are inside rooms that bad? Everything is changeable for us at this point so we really need some advice. THANKS!

I do inside cabins all the time!! There is plenty of room for two. I like the darkness, and they are great!! I like to spend my money and not put it into the cabin. Midship is the best location for stability. If you get motion there, thee will be motion everywhere!! I get Bonine!! Non drowsey, and you take one a day whether you need it or not!! You can ask your TA to say NO UPGRADE!!! :)

We always do inside - for the very reason you have booked one. We were upgraded to a balcony once and it was nice - but IMHO not nice enough to pay the extra $$$ for it. We'd rather cruise more often - enjoy ourselves to the max at the ports and save the extra a balcony costs.

Don't worry - you've done well - and there is absolutely nothing comparable to the thrill of a first cruise! Like Sue, I take bonine (DH is an old navy man). A couple of times I have gone to the ship's dr. for the "magic shot". If you do have any problem with seasickness - don't hesitate to go. After a nap you feel 100% better - it's worth the hassle and the cost! We are in a HMO and they reimbursed us for it. If your ins. refuses to pay and you have the Princess ins. they will reimburse you.

Julie

juliejoe@swbell.net

I think you're smart. We've been on two previous cruises (and we're leaving for our third, first with Princess, in LESS THAN 7 DAYS . . . I'm a little excited! :) ) and we've had windows each time. They were pretty good. This time my wife and I are taking my parents for my Mom's 50th B-day and we got balconys. We always hear they're better and whatnot . . . we'll see.

Here's the thing, though: we spend VERY little time in our cabin! I mean, we're out on the deck or doing something on the ship/in port ALL THE TIME. We basically get up in the morning, run around all day and collapse into our bed at night. If I were on a budget (and I am, it's just not a small one this time), the first place I'd cut expenses would be the room. Hell, they could lock me in the engine room with a cot at night and I'd take it! Cruising is about what you do when you're not in your room!

Funny story: on our first cruise (our honeymoon) my wife's dad paid for the cruise . . . well, the price to get on the ship. We had a budget for the entire 7 days of $300 -- total! We were still in college and that's all we had, so it wasn't like we could stretch it a little bit . . . it was $300 and that was final. Well, sure enough this and that added up and, by the time we were about to get off the boat we were totally OUT OF MONEY . . . and we still had tips to pay. I wasn't going to short the crew what they deserved (personally, I'd have raffled off everything I owned first . . . these people work very hard to make your life wonderful and they deserve what they get!), but we had an excursion we needed to figure out how to pay for. Luckily, we didn't realize they'd given us a $100 onboard credit because we were newlyweds!!! We made it back to port with about $20 left, and we paid all our tips and then some.

The point of all this is that you don't want to stretch your budget too thin. We don't drink or we'd have been in a world of hurt! I think booking an inside cabin and then getting the most you can out of your budget while you're on vacation is the ONLY way to go!

(Sorry 'bout the length!)

Here's the thing, though: we spend VERY little time in our cabin! I mean, we're out on the deck or doing something on the ship/in port ALL THE TIME. We basically get up in the morning, run around all day and collapse into our bed at night. If I were on a budget (and I am, it's just not a small one this time), the first place I'd cut expenses would be the room. Hell, they could lock me in the engine room with a cot at night and I'd take it! Cruising is about what you do when you're not in your room!

WELL SAID AG CRUISER :D

abster70,

I don’t think you made a mistake at all. There are different opinions about balconies, but for us, they are only worth the extra cost where there is something to see other than open ocean, such as Alaska. Otherwise, the ocean looks the same from a balcony as on deck.

Our first four cruises were on inside cabins and we never regretted it. It was not until our cruise to Alaska that we booked a balcony and we wouldn’t do that any other way. Of our two cruises since Alaska, one was inside and the other a balcony on the Western Caribbean. If it were not for booking a mini-suite for a special occasion, we would have booked an inside then, too. We hardly used the balcony as there was not much to see.

Since this is your first cruise, I think your money is better spent in other areas, such as land excursions. After all, how much time are you going to spend in your cabin with six ports in seven days? After this cruise, you’ll have a better handle on what you want to do on your next cruise.

Jim

We booked a balcony cabin on our first cruise. It was very nice, but found we spent very little time using it. We were only in our cabin to change and sleep and wanted to be out where the action was. I booked an inside cabin on 2nd cruise and loved it. Very dark and quiet. I did not feel closed in at all. Just returned from our 3rd cruise on the Grand and also an inside cabin. Cabin A516. Each time I have picked my location. I like mid-ship, upper levels. Again we were very happy. I don't feel like we missed a thing by not having a balcony. They are nice, but not worth spending extra $ on. It's money we can use elsewhere. I get motion sick very easily so I use the transderm scop patch and pick my location. Have never had a problem even in rough weather! Quit worrying and go have a wonderful time on your cruise!!

I am going to disagree with most posters on this thread but years ago I had an inside cabin on an overnight cruise across Lake Michigan. I will never do it again. It was pitch black! People in inside cabins say you don't spend much time in your cabin, of course you don't, there is nothing to see. But in a outside or balcony cabin you can see what is going on. In a balcony cabin you can smell the sea. In the middle of the night you can go to your balcony in your nightgown (or whatever) and be out there with the sea. If you are on the right side of the ship you can watch the pilot come aboard when you are coming into port and then when you are leaving port you can watch the pilot leave and wave to you. You can order room service as a wake up call and have your coffee and whatever on your balcony. It is wonderful. If you are going up north in the Baltic to St. Petersburg you can see the white nights during certain times of the year from your cabin. If you like it dark in your cabin you can always draw the drapes and it is dark. This is just my opinion.

I have to agree with Relevert. It's verrrry nice to be able to go outside and smell the fresh sea-air. Plus, we had a smoker in our room, and it was extremely convenient for him to go outside to indulge, (with us joining him, too!) And don't forget bedtime! Every nite before we retired, we'd go outside to just drink in the beauty of the ocean.....oh, and also drink in a nightcap, too! ; )

Final word - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. On your next cruise, try a balcony, and make the decision for yourself whether it's worth the extra bucks or not.

Abster:

I'm not going to chime in in the debate of inside vs other cabins (we always booked inside GTY and got upgraded to outside but... this time, we've been upgarded too but to a better deck, so I'm going to experience the inside for the first time).

I read a good tip for inside cruisers some time ago. If you and hubby feel it's too dark (or want to have a sense of time) in there, turn the TV on the channel where they have the ship's camera and set it on mute. When it's night time, it'll be pretty dark so your sleep shouldn't be disturbed then of course, when it's the day time... it's daylight :) . I'm going to try it.

We just returned from the Golden Southern Caribbean route. We had an inside cabin on the Aloha deck. The fare was very good and we had plenty of room. I hardly ever sleep late but in an inside cabin, I often had a hard time waking up before 9:00 (of course, DH didn't see this as a problem at all)However...

I missed the chance to have a bit of fresh air in the cabin (we typically book balcony) I also enjoy waking up in the morning to see what the new port looks like from the ship. From now on it's balcony or suite for us!

We really liked the Aloha deck. We didn't think we would have liked the deck that opens out to the pool area. There was so much foot traffic in that area and the constantly open door let in a lot of humidity. If you are a light sleeper, chose a cabin that is not very near the elevators. However, this will but you towards the ends of the ship - not as steady as mid-ship. Also, you may want a lower deck to decrease the sense of movement.

Have a wonderful time....Happy Anniversary!

81 cruises..........we always book the least expensive available........that is why we have been on 81 cruises..........have been upgraded to outside and also to balconies, that is fine but would we pay for it?.........NOPE!...........i am much to noisy to sit on a balcony when i can be out and about with all the people...

We've only done 10 cruises, but have done insides, outsides, and balconies. I think it really doesn't make a difference - what room you have will dictate what you do. If you have a balcony, you'll spend more time in our cabin, if you have an inside, you'll spend more time elsewhere.

DH & I went on our first cruise away from the kids last Nov - our first time out in nearly a decade by ourselves for more than 1 night. We had a beautiful aft balcony, and spent LOTS of time out there just relaxing, resting, watching the wake, etc. It was wonderful!

Our last cruise in September we took the kids and booked a balcony and an inside across the hall. There was SO much going on and we were always running from place to place and it was always too hot or too windy or too rainy or we were too busy to spend time on the balcony. Yes we went out when coming into ports, ate out there a few times, but I really don't think we got our money's worth! The extra $800 total we could have definitely used elsewhere.

If you don't get a balcony - you'll be fine unless you're really claustrophobic. We had fun on our insides as someone mentioned with the total darkness at night (or even during the day for that matter)!

Good luck!

bjcanady

81 cruises- you're my hero!! About what percentage of the time have you received upgrades?

My personal best was a 1A on Carnival (little inside cabin with bunk beds) to a balcony.

To the OP

On my earliest cruises, I would have been just fine with the inside cabin. It just seems that once you experience the balcony, suite, etc. - it's hard to go back. Which of course is exactly what the cruiseline hopes will happen. They don't call us cruise addicts for nothin'!

Watercruiser- Can you tell me about A516 on the grand? My sister and her husband are booked in that room for the 3/12 sailing. I understand that the configuration of this room is slightly different than the other insides. Was it a bit bigger? This will be their first cruise and I selected that cabin for them and hope I made a good choice. My sister has a little bit of a problem with motion. Did you feel any motion? Any input you have would be great.

I had absolutely no problems being on an inside cabin on the Golden (Caribe deck) -- which was the cheapest available when we booked. The dark is wonderful, you can sleep late if you want because there's no sunlight to wake you up (I am a notoriously bad sleeper in the light!).

Melissa_bel has a good idea with the TV on to show what time it is (night or day, etc) but the problem, at least on the Golden, was that at night the bridge cam is facing the deck (The kids' area, as a matter of fact) and so the TV is lit up because of all the deck lights, so basically having the TV on at night is bright and irritating!

As for missing the pulling into port, etc, yes, a balcony will let you see these things, but you can also go up on deck and watch the exact same thing, which I did every morning! Lets you get that early morning exercise!

Enjoy your cruise, abster70. You won't regret it!

We love inside cabins and had one on the Golden. We were three (hubby, my mom and myself) and had more than enough room!

We always book cheapest cabin because we want to be able to vacation a lot. We've learned that people's opinion of a cruise is strongly affected by their age, their likes, and their expectations. Cruises provide a variety of activities to suit different tastes. For us, visiting many islands is our main goal. We are a couple (childless) in our mid 30's/early 40’s with enough vacation to be able to enjoy many cruises. We're avid boaters & love the sea. We do not smoke, we love the outdoors & are beach people. We're not into luxury. We care a lot about ship design, wrap around promenade decks, open spaces to view the sea, sunsets, moon shimmering on the waves.

With all the discounting going on, it concerns us that cruisers may forget the most important aspect of selecting a ship: personal interests and lifestyle. If your only criterion is finding the lowest price available, you can easily wind up on a ship where you have nothing in common with the other passengers, which can adversely affect your enjoyment of the cruise.

We were booked in a cat. 11 on the Infinity (15-day Hawaii) and just found out that we were upgraded to an oceanview cat. 6...That's a bonus!

Nath :-)

I've had an inside cabin on the Golden, Baja deck, and it was great! Nice size, plenty of storage, not a problem. I set the TV to the ship channel, that works great!

I sail single most of the time and generally have insides due to the single supplement. I have had outsides and balconies twice but I can live without them. I'm booked on the Sea Princess Sept. 05 for 21 days (inside) thinking about an outside! In the end, I'm sure the dark will win over the money it would take for an outside!

Susie

I do inside cabins all the time!! There is plenty of room for two. I like the darkness, and they are great!! I like to spend my money and not put it into the cabin. Midship is the best location for stability. If you get motion there, thee will be motion everywhere!! I get Bonine!! Non drowsey, and you take one a day whether you need it or not!! You can ask your TA to say NO UPGRADE!!! :)

Ditto here. I would rather spend the money I save on a balcony or a higher class of stateroom doing fun things while on the ship. If I put all of my money into the accommodations, I would have to skim on other stuff.

Also, the darkness factor was alluded to ... and some think that's a drawback. Not me. I am prone to occasional migranes, especially after prolonged exposure to bright sunlight. The dark inside cabin is then a wonderful refuge where I can take something and lie down, and get rid of the headache in record time.

Especially on a port-intensive cruise, you are making a wise financial decision to go with the inside, in my opinion. You won't spend much time in the cabin, and if you want to enjoy a sunrise, sunset or whatever, there are plenty of other places on the ship where you can do that.

Enjoy your cruise and stop worrying ... :) After all, you're not making a real estate purchase here where you'll be stuck with it for life. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

bjcanady

81 cruises- you're my hero!! About what percentage of the time have you received upgrades?

My personal best was a 1A on Carnival (little inside cabin with bunk beds) to a balcony.

To the OP

On my earliest cruises, I would have been just fine with the inside cabin. It just seems that once you experience the balcony, suite, etc. - it's hard to go back. Which of course is exactly what the cruiseline hopes will happen. They don't call us cruise addicts for nothin'!

I would say we get an upgrade on 90% of our cruises..........a lot are from lowest inside to a higher cat. inside.........but i would say that about 20% we get upgraded from lowest inside to outside or balcony.............but we are quite happy as long as we are on the ship!!!!!!!! )*>)

I've done parents inside/kids outside; inside/inside; veranda/inside; veranda/varanda, and what not...

As an economic first cruiser - inside is fine - as long as you figure it for a bear den, sleep nest (smaller than a hotel room - definately) VERANDAs are Great esp aft/stern - BUT at a price!

As a younger cruiser, be willing to go out on deck LATE - sober. The Straights of Massina or Gallipoli are awesome at 4 AM - which is when they usually go in the med.

OTHERWISE JUST HAVE FUN - ENJOY!

Thanks all of you for your help! I think we are going to stick with an inside cat. I on the Baja deck, but perhaps do a guarantee instead of choosing a room and see what happens. Figure we have a decent chance at upgrade since we are booking a year in advance. Just nervous that they might put us way up front. I wish there was a way to decline an upgrade if you don't like where they put you...Keep the thoughts and suggestions coming...PLEASE.

Swimmer722,

I was very pleased with this inside cabin. It is configured a bit differently, and is supposed to be larger than some of the others but I don't know by how much. The location is good. Never heard any noise from above in there. Just one level up to the Horizon court and pools so we used the stairs instead of waiting on an elevator. Plenty of closet and drawer space for two. Bathroom is small, but no worse than others I've seen. I am very sensitive to motion and would never attempt any cruise without the "patch". Had some slight rocking movement, but never anything bad. In fact it was kind of nice at bedtime. I slept wonderfully in this cabin and wouldn't hesitate to book the same location again. The most motion on this ship seemed to be forward and aft. I felt it most when we were in the Princess theater or Vista lounge. Hope this info helps.

Archived