Thongs and Things

Shogun

I havent ever seen the thong restriction but have never been on a ship where topless/nude sunbathing was allowed

Celebrity Cruiselines offers an adults section on most of their vessels, where topless and thonged behinds are allowed.

I've found most of the Europeans on my cruises (mostly Celebrity) were dressed in Speedos or thongs...just a different culture, not right or wrong. I don't think they have the same hang ups as many Americans do. :cool:

Hi Folks,

We got a note saying that as The Sea Princess is a family ship it is note permited to wear Thongs or go Top Less,

is this new, is this just the Captain.

yours Shogun

I plan on wearing mine. My wife probably will object.

Celebrity Cruiselines offers an adults section on most of their vessels, where topless and thonged behinds are allowed.

I've found most of the Europeans on my cruises (mostly Celebrity) were dressed in Speedos or thongs...just a different culture, not right or wrong. I don't think they have the same hang ups as many Americans do. :cool:

Being on the younger side, I have no hang ups about thongs or speedos. Still do about the topless thing, but only cuz I'm a dad now.

That said, i don't have a problem only if they have the physique to pull it off. Which the overwhelming majority that I've seen on a cruise just don't. Sorry if that's superficial or whatever, but I think most guys would agree with me that Cindy Crawford is much more acceptable to the eye in a bikini than Rosanne Barr would be.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind a ban on thongs, but only if they banned those with a waistline of 36 inches or more (I'm being a bit generous) from going topless as well. Of either gender.

Methinks he was referring to a bra, not a bro. Though I could be wrong. I think back to being wrong once, but then I was mistaken.

Obviously not a Seinfeld fan. He did a whole episode on a bra for men called the "bro" or "mansierre".:D

Lenore

On one of our Carnival cruises a while back our teenage son came back to the room and reported he had good news and bad news....

The good news was he FOUND the topless deck!

The bad news was there was nothing you wanted to see topless up there! :)

Methinks he was referring to a bra, not a bro. Though I could be wrong. I think back to being wrong once, but then I was mistaken.

The "bro" was a Seinfeld reference. George's father and Cramer designed a bra for men and one of the names they came up with was "the bro". The other was a "mansierre". :)

Bob

I have seen a woman wearing a thong onboard a Princess ship! She was in good shape, very discreet (as discreet as one can be in a thong), and as far as I know there were no complaints. It didn't really bother me, and I kind of admired her for being so confident.

Funny thing... I think she was probably in her mid-30s and traveling with her parents. (Need I note, they were from Europe).

Happy cruising,

VB1

There used to be a thread on this under theme cruises.If I recall correctly NCL has a deck allowing CO/topless, and Carnival has a deck for topless,at least on some ships. no mention of Princess.

Alas, topless sunbathing is a thing of the past on Carnival. I believe it is allowed in a designated area on Celebrity European cruises. The last time I witness it was on an RCI transatlantic cruise.

I don't wear a banana hammock, thong and although I have a decent frame, don't parade around with nothing but skimpy anything...but if I'm laying out by the pool, like to get sun. I don't care if the man or woman next to me is in a bikini, speedo or whatever, old, heavy, rail-thin or scarred. Isn't it about enjoying and living for yourself, and not to be so concerned with what everyone else thinks? :confused:

While in Europe and the Caribbean, take a walk on the beach or local pool- even in France and Spain, the locals just don't have our hangups. Older men AND women, with or without a waistline enjoy themeselves. I don't know, I just don't see as much judgment or hang ups. STILL, I'm not comfortable dressing in a loin cloth, but men or women who do? Go for it. Why do I care? :D

I don't wear a banana hammock, thong and although I have a decent frame, don't parade around with nothing but skimpy anything...but if I'm laying out by the pool, like to get sun. I don't care if the man or woman next to me is in a bikini, speedo or whatever, old, heavy, rail-thin or scarred. Isn't it about enjoying and living for yourself, and not to be so concerned with what everyone else thinks? :confused:

While in Europe and the Caribbean, take a walk on the beach or local pool- even in France and Spain, the locals just don't have our hangups. Older men AND women, with or without a waistline enjoy themeselves. I don't know, I just don't see as much judgment or hang ups. STILL, I'm not comfortable dressing in a loin cloth, but men or women who do? Go for it. Why do I care? :D

It's our old Victorian/Puritan hangups that "make" alot of Americans "offended" by folks going au naturel. Personally, I think all beaches should be clothing optional... once people are sensitized to other people's nakedness, it won't be an issue... like in most of Europe. ;)

The Europeans have a different culture with respect to the human body than we do here in the US. European men and quite a few Central/South Americans wear what we refer to as a speedo swimsuit at all ages and body types. They also are quite comfortable with the naked body. It is not unusual to see naked sunbathing in a lot of European countries. The females are similarly attired. It is their culture to do this, but not ours.

As for Orient beach in St Marteen, it has a clothed part and a bare a$$ part if I may be so blunt. The taxi driver warned us ahead of time and pointed out which way we wanted to go once we got there. No big deal actually.

We were in Germany and DS (16 at the time) had to go to the men's restroom in a nice restaurant. He came back all in shock that there was an attendant in the restroom and SHE wanted a tip! Good adult friend was in Paris in the men's room using the urinal when the cleaning LADY came in and started cleaning the adjacent urinals. He was aghast.

It is a different culture with different rules. Personally I understand and do not mind. If men want to wear speedo type suits or women want to wear thongs (the kind around the bum), that is fine. Personally I do wear a speedo under my dive suit and sometimes in the pool area. Other times I wear a swimsuit and not the kind that looks like pants that is in vogue now.

Now for my rant, I have seen older women particularly but men also who wear an "American type" swim suit that is about two sizes too small and are well fed with it all hanging out. That to me is very questionable. At least buy a suit that is designed to fit your body style.

To true, RickEk and Satxdiver. :) Agree with both of you.

No, it isn't our culture as Americans [sadly for some], but most of our originations do stem from other European countries.

Yes, the swim suit 2 or 3 sizes too small? :eek: I'd rather see au natural.

My DH always goes for a walk all over the ship in the morning, and there were two ladies that were sunning topless each morning on a Caribbean cruise on the Zenith several years ago.

That being said, the ladies were located all the way forward on the bow, they were both over 60, and definitely European from the small amount of conversation he heard on his way by, and by the lack of razor grooming we typically see here in the US.

As far as we know, nobody complained, as they were there almost every morning for the entire trip. Of course, there might have been a different outcome if they had been at the main pool deck.

I personally don't care what is or isn't hanging out. I'm a Floridian, and I cover up as much as possible when I go out in the sun. If someone wants to sunburn their 'bits' as well as the rest, that's OK with me.

The last time we went to St. Maarten, we went to Orient Beach with some friends. There was a topless young lady there that had one side of her chest that was tremendously sunburnt - the sunscreen line was obvious. OUCH!

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Archived