Live Grand Jan 16 to Feb 13

vickie_bernie

Yes Bernie finally got the helicopter trip - and it was amazing. We did the entire island tour thru Aruba Helicopters. We found them thru Cruise Critic and everything that everyone had written was right. Highly recommend.

we ended up checking out more of the town an then got back on around 2 pm and were going to head to the beach but we got lazy and just ended up back up on the sun deck and man was it hot.

Bernie wanted me to comment that we went to a restaurant on the main drag that was upstairs (sorry can't remember the name) and noted that the menu stated that there was a 15% added surcharge for tip. So ended up leaving... we have no problem tipping but we don't like the added tip and the fact it was in such small print that most people would have no idea.

Last night we did the Chef's table and I would have to agree with Bob that this one was better than the last two on the Emerald last year. We had the veal shank and beef tenderloin and they were like butter. We had a group of 10 and Guisseppe was the ultimate host.

We then proceeded to see the comedian Jim Macdonald and he was okay during his monologue but when he started with his slide show and pictures I thought I would pee my pants he was so funny, not to be missed.

Toto, oh that was the Grand Suite -- well we still couldn't afford that either, but it is always nice to dream.

Vickie

HI Vickie/Bernie and Grand Followers..What a wondeful cruise..I was leary of the Grand ships' size, etc, but we grew to love the size..the staff..FOOD and everything about the Grand..It was just a perfect cruise..and we are planning for our next..It was not bad coming home, we are hitting 79 today..I feel for our friends in England!

Thank you Vickie & Bernie for being so helpful and nice..

Heh Vickie!

Home safe but Yvonne is sick, a stomach flu bug hit her last night. I on the other hand am just fine. Had a blast! We were standing on the dock wondering if I could call Princess and see what they had available, but did not think I could sell my boss on another 2 weeks. Good thing too, as all hell broke loose here and we are very busy.

Have fun, wish we were with you there. Though it is plus 7 the next few days here.

P&Y

Bernie wanted me to comment that we went to a restaurant on the main drag that was upstairs (sorry can't remember the name) and noted that the menu stated that there was a 15% added surcharge for tip. So ended up leaving... we have no problem tipping but we don't like the added tip and the fact it was in such small print that most people would have no idea.

Would that have been Iguana Joes? Yes, the surcharge was a surprise, so tipping is included in the final bill. The food was O.K., so you didn't really miss anything.

Great to read that your helicopter ride was everything you had hoped for.

That had to have been one of the best kept secrets, before Bernie's birthday.

Are you doing Sabatini's again? (I'm wondering if the have addressed the overcooking of seafood that plagued a few people last cruise).

What did you do in Curacao today?

Heh Vickie!

Home safe but Yvonne is sick, a stomach flu bug hit her last night. I on the other hand am just fine. Had a blast! We were standing on the dock wondering if I could call Princess and see what they had available, but did not think I could sell my boss on another 2 weeks. Good thing too, as all hell broke loose here and we are very busy.

Have fun, wish we were with you there. Though it is plus 7 the next few days here.

P&Y

Funny you should mention 'wondering'... we stayed in FLL an extra day, and as we drove west along SE 17th, we could see the Ruby in port on Saturday. The thought 'did' occur to us to just wheel into Eiserhower, and take our chances at the dock.

Thank goodness we have Vickies reports to help ease us in transition to reality!

February 3rd, 2009

Vickie,

I just {heard} a rumor that Princess is now offering double onboard credits for sailings booked onboard. The caveat is that the sailing must take place in 2009. A sailing commencing in say, December of 2009, and extending into 2010 will not be considered a 2009 sailing.

Since this is only a rumor:rolleyes:, and you are onboard, can you verify this with the future cruise sales representative.

Undoubtedly, this may be usefull for many sailing with Princess this year, and considering booking an additional cruise for 2009.

Pete

Heh Vickie!

Home safe but Yvonne is sick, a stomach flu bug hit her last night. I on the other hand am just fine.

Nasty! How fortunate, if the flu can have anything good about it at all, is that it struck after the cruise. I hope she feels better soon!

Vickie,

I'm so glad bernie got his helicopter ride!

Is it hotter than 2 weeks ago? Wow.

Thanks for writing cause it looks like many of us are reliving our cruise through you.

February 3rd, 2009

Vickie,

I just {heard} a rumor that Princess is now offering double onboard credits for sailings booked onboard. The caveat is that the sailing must take place in 2009. A sailing commencing in say, December of 2009, and extending into 2010 will not be considered a 2009 sailing.

Since this is only a rumor:rolleyes:, and you are onboard, can you verify this with the future cruise sales representative.

Undoubtedly, this may be usefull for many sailing with Princess this year, and considering booking an additional cruise for 2009.

Pete

Hi Pete

It's not a rumor. I got an email from my travel agent. I forwarded it to Allan but since he hasn't mentioned anything I guess it's a no go.

We got a brochure today about exotics and he did say we should look at next year, though.

Anyone have any plans? (Still thinking about South America in March, but January or february really works out better)

Kay it was great meeting you too, and we enjoyed your Vodka the other day. Thanks.

Pete it wasn't Iguana Joe's the one we went to was beside it but obviously has the same policy.

Yes they are offering the deal of booking onboard and you get the double OBC... we haven't decided yet.

Karen, weather is very similar to last sailing maybe a little warmer but both in Arbua and Caracao we had very short showers - but very very warm.

Yesterday in Caracao even though we had planned on walking around town then going to Kon Tiki plans changed and that is one thing I've learned while sailing most plans change rapidly.

We relaxed most of the morning and didn't even get off the ship until 11. We walked over the floating bridge and thru the town, we checked out the floating market, the market and then we stopped and had a great local meal at the building beside the market that was basically a covered building with picnic tables and stalls. It was packed and full of locals so we figured it must be good. And it was! We shared a dish of chicken curry and two drinks, the meal was huge in fact we couldn't even finish the one plate we were sharing.

We were back on board for 4 pm... and a quick nap. Tonight we made plans with four women we had dinner with one night. Two from NY and two from CA. Bernie loved it, five women and him. I had the surf and turf and my stead was cooked perfectly.

After dinner we heading to the Vista lounge for the Liars game and we won, as well as three other teams, so dinner tonight will have champagne, and again we will eat with the ladies.

Later that night we ran into some of the cruise staff and chatted with all of them for about a half hour. Donna the deputy cruise director is so good, she works so hard behind the scenes and it shows... her staff are top notch and things run smoothly.

We got a few new cruise staff this sailing, we love Ricky (aka Pee wee) and a great guy from Canada (northern Ontario) named Garett.

We ended up in the Explorer's lounge for Kareoke (spelling??) and I sang! surprising I know as I was sober! But it was fun. I was the last singer and I sang Garth Brooks "Friends in Low Places" but replaced the words with "Friends on the Grand Princess"

Today being a sea day we are in relax mode (ha ha ha, we've been in that mode since boarding) We woke up late, had breakfast in HC (what a zoo today) and then down for our latte (again what a zoo around the coffee bar). The internet cafe is packed. Gee and the sun is shining you would think that most would be out in the sun.

Today there are doing the bijoux sale in the dining room. Last sailing it was on the last sea day, but now it is the 3rd sea day.

Bernie is off to enjoy the sun in the Sanctuary today. I am busy taking some computer classes. Mainly an intermediate Photoshop class and then an advanced toolbar with Photoshop class. And in between the two classes I will take part in the Matre d' wine tasting. So I am not sure how much I will learn on the second class after the wine.

Pete: no I did not bring up the overcooked lobster from Sabatinis, i did mention it on the questionnaire we filled out. We will not be doing it again this sailing as we did the Chef's Table. And we will be doing the seafood buffet.

Some things I am noticing:

- dining room service is top notch

- food is top notch everything is cooked to perfection and if it isn't they will correct it.

- really miss the Piazza from the Crown/Emerald/Ruby and Star

- there just are not enough places to sit on deck 5 around the bar... this is very noticable first thing in the morning and then again a dinner time, while people meet up for drinks prior to dinner or wait for a table

- they really need to servers in the Lobby Bar, normally there is just one and they are run off their feet.

- Prices in the stores (mainly the perfume store) are mainly the exact same as we have found ashore (especially when compared to St. Thomas) or a little less than ashore. But if you spend $250 or are Elite you get 10% off

- Really miss that middle staircase found on the other Grand ships.

- On this ship the internet cafe and computer at sea courses are side by side and it is very distracting when taking a course as there is a lot of noise.

- there is a lot of wasted space where there is an old desk which is on deck 5, looks like an old Purser's desk -- they should pull out and put in tables and chairs. Now this may not be done as this ship will probably get the Piazza/Vines sometime soon.

- Because it is a fourteen day sailing, we ran out of milk cartons for room service (they brought it in drink boxes) and then the last day in HC all they had was skim milk. Also the flowers at all the tables were just stems :)... and the flowers we ordered half way thru the trip didn't last as long as they should. We did buy a large bouquet at a grocery store in Fort Lauderdale for $20 and asked for a vase and they are looking great.

- On the Star (not sure if on the Golden) there is a dip pool on deck 16 near Oasis bar which we miss.

- Laundries haven't been that busy (to my surprise) haven't had any trouble getting a machine or dryer... and if it is busy you can easily go to the one on the other side/or deck below/or up. Cost is $1.00 to wash (25 min) and $.50 to dry (30 min) and all worked fine.

- NOTE - closets (unless in mini or higher) are tiny compared to other ships, at least half the size

Vickie, Thanks for all that info it sure helps to know the "ins and outs" of this ship. Have you seen any eggs benedict on any menu?

Thanks

Andrea

There were eggs benedict for breakfast one morning. Also, Princess has instituted a new thing on their lunch menu for late risers with 2 things from the breakfast menu so I was able to also have them for lunch! Yum-m-m!:D

Yes they are offering the deal of booking onboard and you get the double OBC... we haven't decided yet.

quote]

Vickie, in talking with Princess today they told me that the double OBC deal is only for those who received a special offer in the mail that's tied to your Captain Circle number. If you have the time, could you check to see if the double OBC is for anyone booking while on ship or is Princess correct in what they told me. Thanks

Last night we did the Chef's table and I would have to agree with Bob that this one was better than the last two on the Emerald last year. We had the veal shank and beef tenderloin and they were like butter. We had a group of 10 and Guisseppe was the ultimate host.

Vickie

Loved the Lobster risotto and Gray Goose sorbet!!!

How do you register for the computer classes - are they advertised in the Platter?

Yes they are announced in the patter.

There is also usually a list of all classes available on board. If you do not see it in your cabin, ask at the Purser's desk.

Computer Classes can be booked by registering right at the internet cafe, you receive a list of the classes the first day.... cost is $25 each or buy three get one free.

Captain Poggi is our new Captain - I know someone was wondering.

TV screens, check a few pages back... can't recall exactly where.

The OBC we got a pamphlet today said if you book while on board for any 2009 sailing you will get double the OBC. We haven't booked anything as we just don't know where/what ship to go on.

Yes Bob the risotto was one of my favorites.

Today we were in Trinidad again. Now the last time we were here we did a tour and even though we enjoyed the island it didn't leave a lasting impression on us. This time we talked about what we wanted to do and we both thought we would check out some of the historic sights. (note when you get off the ship the tourist info will give you a packet of brochures and there is a good one with a walking tour and building to check out... very easy to follow and easy walk).

So off we went around 11 am and heading for independence square... we walked all the way down it to the Cathedral. Now this island has there things together, they have lots of signage and they have these Island Tourists Reps all around (they wear read shirts with a logo) they helped us with directions, and pamplets and even getting across a busy street. Very impressive.

There was a lot of little food vendors near the roundabout in the square and we were checking out this one guy who had a long lineup to see what he was selling. Well it ended up being this Curried Chic Pea with mango on a pita type bread. He smiled at us and said Here for you! Free. We loved it and were very impressed with their hospitality. We ended up giving him a Canadian pin and he proudly pinned it on. Many of the locals around offered suggestions for places to visit.

We then started walking down the main street towards the larges roundabout and also where Carnival Parade happens. We checked out some local shops and again everyone was so helpful and friendly. Many just wanted to chat and find out where we were from.

We checked out the Famous 7 houses (on the map) and then walked to the zoo which is right beside the gardens (which we visited two weeks ago on the last cruise). The zoo cost $2 US each and it was very very good. Got lots of great pictures and it was fun to be away from all the crowds.

We ended up walking back to the ship (trust me a taxi would of taken longer as the traffic is CRAZY here). We stopped at a coffee bar and enjoyed an espresso. We chatted with lots of locals and many kids as they were just getting out of school. Most of the locals are very happy that tourists are coming to their island.

When we got back on board we both commented that we were really glad we got off today and didn't let our last impression of the island stop us. Because we had a totally different experience this time. We hope to visit it again. (especialy since we have Trinidad Dollars left).

We quickly showered and met up with the cruise director staff as James the CD tapes the morning show the night before. This sailing he asked Bernie and I to come on for a segment. So we did and we had a good laugh. I mentioned Cruise Critic and Brian he wore the grass skirt and coconut bra you left him at my request. But Brian you looked better in it than him. So tomorrow morning we will be on the morning show in all the cabins, so you are warned.

Oh I forgot to mention that last night was a formal night and it is nice to see so many people dressed up but it was okay if you didn't too. We had a great dinner with some of our friends. It was Italian night, yum.

We all went to the Multi Media challenge and well we sucked again, but it was fun. Then off to the Explorer's lounge for more fun.

some observations from Bernie where he spent the day in the Sanctuary. He commented that there seems to be a good number of staff there but they seem to stay right around their counter and never walk around so if you needed something you actually had to get up to get their attention.

The dining room is having an issue with waits for the dining room around 7 - 7:45 seems if ;you go around that time be prepared to get a pager. But the wait doesn't seem to be too bad.

Well that is all I can think of for now.

Computer Classes can be booked by registering right at the internet cafe, you receive a list of the classes the first day.... cost is $25 each or buy three get one free.

Captain Poggi is our new Captain - I know someone was wondering.

TV screens, check a few pages back... can't recall exactly where.

The OBC we got a pamphlet today said if you book while on board for any 2009 sailing you will get double the OBC. We haven't booked anything as we just don't know where/what ship to go on.

Yes Bob the risotto was one of my favorites.

Today we were in Trinidad again. Now the last time we were here we did a tour and even though we enjoyed the island it didn't leave a lasting impression on us. This time we talked about what we wanted to do and we both thought we would check out some of the historic sights. (note when you get off the ship the tourist info will give you a packet of brochures and there is a good one with a walking tour and building to check out... very easy to follow and easy walk).

So off we went around 11 am and heading for independence square... we walked all the way down it to the Cathedral. Now this island has there things together, they have lots of signage and they have these Island Tourists Reps all around (they wear read shirts with a logo) they helped us with directions, and pamplets and even getting across a busy street. Very impressive.

There was a lot of little food vendors near the roundabout in the square and we were checking out this one guy who had a long lineup to see what he was selling. Well it ended up being this Curried Chic Pea with mango on a pita type bread. He smiled at us and said Here for you! Free. We loved it and were very impressed with their hospitality. We ended up giving him a Canadian pin and he proudly pinned it on. Many of the locals around offered suggestions for places to visit.

We then started walking down the main street towards the larges roundabout and also where Carnival Parade happens. We checked out some local shops and again everyone was so helpful and friendly. Many just wanted to chat and find out where we were from.

We checked out the Famous 7 houses (on the map) and then walked to the zoo which is right beside the gardens (which we visited two weeks ago on the last cruise). The zoo cost $2 US each and it was very very good. Got lots of great pictures and it was fun to be away from all the crowds.

We ended up walking back to the ship (trust me a taxi would of taken longer as the traffic is CRAZY here). We stopped at a coffee bar and enjoyed an espresso. We chatted with lots of locals and many kids as they were just getting out of school. Most of the locals are very happy that tourists are coming to their island.

When we got back on board we both commented that we were really glad we got off today and didn't let our last impression of the island stop us. Because we had a totally different experience this time. We hope to visit it again. (especialy since we have Trinidad Dollars left).

We quickly showered and met up with the cruise director staff as James the CD tapes the morning show the night before. This sailing he asked Bernie and I to come on for a segment. So we did and we had a good laugh. I mentioned Cruise Critic and Brian he wore the grass skirt and coconut bra you left him at my request. But Brian you looked better in it than him. So tomorrow morning we will be on the morning show in all the cabins, so you are warned.

Oh I forgot to mention that last night was a formal night and it is nice to see so many people dressed up but it was okay if you didn't too. We had a great dinner with some of our friends. It was Italian night, yum.

We all went to the Multi Media challenge and well we sucked again, but it was fun. Then off to the Explorer's lounge for more fun.

some observations from Bernie where he spent the day in the Sanctuary. He commented that there seems to be a good number of staff there but they seem to stay right around their counter and never walk around so if you needed something you actually had to get up to get their attention.

The dining room is having an issue with waits for the dining room around 7 - 7:45 seems if ;you go around that time be prepared to get a pager. But the wait doesn't seem to be too bad.

Well that is all I can think of for now.

Hi Vickie

Wow, what a different impression of Trinidad than what I had from reading the Ports of Call board! Sounds like a nice day. I thought that if we went back we'd stay on board but your self-guided walking tour sounds great.

Thanks for exploring!

I wish there was some way a video of the morning show could be posted here or emailed. I'm sure it will be a riot! James didn't look great in his Hawaiian outfit the day Brian was on so I'm sure he looked just lovely :eek: (not) in the coconut top.

Must be a younger group on board - the 5:45 waits in the dining room have changed to 7:30.

Again, thanks for posting.

Last night we had to wait for Personal Choice--for a good reason--they were letting Traditional diners in--the rest of us were waiting--the story last night was that they had been told (by whom)???? that they could not turn anyone away--soooooooo--it seems you try for Traditional--late seating and do as you please--we ran into this problem a couple of years ago--it happened because on the morning show the CD said to Traditional Diners--if you want to eat at a differnt just go over to Personal Choice

ANYWAY--tonight was OK

We always choose Personal Choice--I want to continue doing just that--if nothing else--that's why the restaurants are full

Nancy:D

Thanks for the update on Trinidad. Its great to know that we have the option of just walking to town. We didn't have plans for Trinidad so now I guess we do. We like to beach it a lot. Do you know which ports have beaches close to the piers? Or do most stops require a taxi to get to the beach?

Archived