Pricing on Princess

vegabay

I've cruised before, but it's been a few years and I'm always wondering if I am getting THE best price on my cruise. Right now I'm looking at the Emerald Princess 10 day cruise in April. When I checked the Princess website it lists it as $1599, when I log into the website it gives me a new rate of $1099--even though I haven't sailed with this line before. I think that's a great price, but how can I do better? I've used cruise compete where agents give you bids on the cruise. Is there a better price out there somewhere or is $1099 really a good deal? It would not include the gov. taxes and fees. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on getting the best price.

I've cruised before, but it's been a few years and I'm always wondering if I am getting THE best price on my cruise. Right now I'm looking at the Emerald Princess 10 day cruise in April. When I checked the Princess website it lists it as $1599, when I log into the website it gives me a new rate of $1099--even though I haven't sailed with this line before. I think that's a great price, but how can I do better? I've used cruise compete where agents give you bids on the cruise. Is there a better price out there somewhere or is $1099 really a good deal? It would not include the gov. taxes and fees. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on getting the best price.

Where are you sailing from? $1099 for 10 days in April is a good deal if you are coming from Europe or a "close to home" port, but you might be able to do better if you are looking at a cruise leaving from Miami or Lauderdale.

We are not supposed to recommend or mention travel agent names on here, but if you click on some of the ads here, and get some prices, that is a good way of comparing to Princess prices.

Usually you can get a better price that way than booking directly with Princess.

The Emerald is a very nice ship.

Where are you sailing from? $1099 for 10 days in April is a good deal if you are coming from Europe or a "close to home" port, but you might be able to do better if you are looking at a cruise leaving from Miami or Lauderdale.

Huh?....they said they were looking at the Emerald, and she does sail from Lauderdale.

I believe that is a great price for a ten day cruise. My wife and I are looking at that same cruise in March. For both of us total price was 3400. That included air from cincy, taxes, insurance, and balcony room. I haven't found any price cheaper anywhere.

What type stateroom did you find the $1099 quote for? I just looked at both the April sailings of the Emerald (as a past passenger) and didn't see that exact price for any category. There could have perhaps been a regional discount applied to yours that I don't get. None the less, if the $1099 you saw was for a balcony - GRAB IT. If it was an inside room you can do better.

Is there really any "best" price for anything? I don't understand exerting so much effort just to find the absolutely best price for something. If you are fortunate enough to have a great ta like we do, who closely watches cruise fares and advises when there is a better one, then you can relax and focus on the having fun part of the cruise. After all, value is relative . . . it really only matters if it's valuable to you. By the way, our ta just saved us $1296 for a cruise we have booked for October 2009. She didn't even ask, she just went ahead and rebooked with exactly the same cabin, and then mailed us a revised invoice. It is great to have someone working with you who knows what you want and doesn't hesitate to make sure you get it. And . . . it might not be the ultimate "best" price, but it sure made us happy. Sam

I just logged in and yes, $1099 is the price Princess is offering for either of these April cruises for a balcony. Grab it!

Go figure! :confused: The cheapest balcony I get on the Princess site is $1399 but I found $1099 on another on-line site. Boy they sure can make it harder than it needs to be. I'll continue to use my great TA and let her fingers do the walking for me.

In the meantime vegabay - GRAB IT NOW!

I received the email from princess two weeks ago and checked it again this morning. After I log in I can get the top rated balcony for 1099 for the March 21 sailing.

Are you sure that you have the right ship...the Emerald sails on March 20th and 30th

I just logged in and yes, $1099 is the price Princess is offering for either of these April cruises for a balcony. Grab it!

Pia

I just signed on to Princess as a past passenger and I didn't see any deals. Inside $799.00, Balcony $1599.00. On April 9th an ocean view is $1539.00 and a Balcony is $1399.00 :confused: I live in New York so maybe it is a regional sale. I do however keep getting the 2 for 1 emails from Princess, and HAL (never been on HAL). It's 4 degrees today so I have no desire to go to Alaska. Maybe they should send those ads in July.

Pia

I just signed on to Princess as a past passenger and I didn't see any deals. Inside $799.00, Balcony $1599.00. On April 9th an ocean view is $1539.00 and a Balcony is $1399.00 :confused: I live in New York so maybe it is a regional sale. I do however keep getting the 2 for 1 emails from Princess, and HAL (never been on HAL). It's 4 degrees today so I have no desire to go to Alaska. Maybe they should send those ads in July.

We checked these prices for people who live in NJ, FL, and CA; all the same. If you want one, you call them and tell them they have to honor the lower price. Same thing happened to us when they lowered the Pacific last month; we didn't get the new pricing, but sister did. We insisted and got it. Didn't take much effort either. Our friends in Alabama and Hawaii got those prices too even though their log in pricing was higher.

Thanks for all the responses. I was looking at a balcony cabin for that $1099 price and it sounds like to me from your responses that this could be a good deal. Maybe it is a regional sale--I'm in the Kansas City, MO area. I've never actually booked through the cruise lines website. I'm not sure which balcony cabin I should go for, can anyone help with that?

Thanks for all the responses. I was looking at a balcony cabin for that $1099 price and it sounds like to me from your responses that this could be a good deal. Maybe it is a regional sale--I'm in the Kansas City, MO area. I've never actually booked through the cruise lines website. I'm not sure which balcony cabin I should go for, can anyone help with that?

Pull up the deck plans and look at them and then call Princess....you don't have to book on line. They may offer you something more desirable than what you can see as available.

Kind of depends on if you want a completely covered, totally uncovered, or 1/2 covered 1/2 uncovered balcony. The balconys on the Carib deck are usually very coveted as they are the largest onboard, almost twice as deep as the others, and are the 1/2 covered 1/2 uncovered ones. If the motion bothers you a mid-ship location is the best but since the Emerald is so well stabilized even for or aft won't be much of a problem.

We checked these prices for people who live in NJ, FL, and CA; all the same. If you want one, you call them and tell them they have to honor the lower price. Same thing happened to us when they lowered the Pacific last month; we didn't get the new pricing, but sister did. We insisted and got it. Didn't take much effort either. Our friends in Alabama and Hawaii got those prices too even though their log in pricing was higher.

I am not looking to book. I was just trying to get an idea of how the pricing system works and what to look out for. This thread is an eye opener for me. Thanks for the information. I am going to keep all of this in mind for future bookings. I am booked on a Repo in May. we are paying $499.00 for an obstructed view mid ship. Final payment is in March. I still haven't found anything less expensive and I doubt that I will. But I keep looking.

Mike

I am not looking to book. I was just trying to get an idea of how the pricing system works and what to look out for. This thread is an eye opener for me. Thanks for the information. I am going to keep all of this in mind for future bookings. I am booked on a Repo in May. we are paying $499.00 for an obstructed view mid ship. Final payment is in March. I still haven't found anything less expensive and I doubt that I will. But I keep looking.

Mike

Which specific Repo is this? A Princess one?

Yep...........received an email on these cheapie cruises out of San Juan. Fabulous bargain, but air could kill it. Hope you got good air price too.

I checked daily for May airfare bookings to open and I jumped on $159.00 each. A week later the same flight went up to $249.00 each. Since I only have to fly one way I think I got a bargain for this cruise.

Archived