Europe cruise with a baby

cruisinjules3

@ beachchick - to insist that it absolutly undoable is rediculous. One can take a 14 month old BUT one has to take cut downs on what one is able to do. To expect to be able to do all excursions like any other adult on the cruise is in deed utopia. However using a private guide/driver on their own, who is aware of the fact that there will be a baby along for the ride can change plans and be far more flexible if need be. They just have to accept the fact that at times they will have to skip venues because the baby has had enough or perhaps needs an additional break. That it is doable is based on all those northern Europeans who go south every single year with kid and babies of all ages - you just have to be a heck of a lot more flexible than your average adult cruiser.

@ the OP - FORGET DRIVING ON YOU OWN!!!! (Yes I am shouting!) I drive over 80.000 km a year all over Europe and even I won't drive in southern France or Italy if I can avoid it. With all due respect to your husband but what use is a map when there are no street names or certain road rules just don't seem to apply to the locals? That would definately be the more dangerous way of doing things.

Florence can be done by train for example and trains run all day so you could leave early if baby has had enough. The only catch is the italian rail workers tend to strike a little more often and out of the blue.

You can do Europe but it requires lots of additional planing and you have to understand that there is no way for you to see it all or as much as most adult cruisers will. If you and MIL can live with that then go for it. If this will be a problem then reconsider waiting until later.

Let's give the OP credit for realizing that she has a lot of challenges cruising with a 14 month old and coming to these boards to try to get as much advice as she can. We've already given her some excellent advice and I am sure any more suggestions will be welcome.

When I first thought about her doing this trip with a 14 month old I knew it would be difficult. I've sometimes thought about what I would do in the same situation as OP's MIL and a balcony or suite doesn't interest me. I would take my same inside cabin but I would love to be able to take the whole family. If there were small children involved I would want them to come even more because you are in the situation where you can spend several weeks together without having to live in the same house 24/7. I would know that daughter or daughter in law will be working hard chasing/wheeling baby but hopefully there will also be many good times and lots of help.

So we've advised OP to go to the Port of Calls and Family Cruising Boards.

We've advised her to get a cabin between family members so that she does not disturb innocent random people in the cabin next door. She says the child has a seat on the plane so they will not have a stranger sitting next to the child.

We've advised her how to look into independent tours so they will not be trapped on an excursion, and also given the advice of not driving herself. I am sure she will take this advice. The planning alone will take a lot of work but every time I've traveled to Europe it has been a lot of planning.

Any more ideas?

Cruisinjules - let us know your plans and don't forget to post when your cruise is over to help others who are traveling with a 14 month old.

@ beachchick - to insist that it absolutly undoable is rediculous. One can take a 14 month old BUT one has to take cut downs on what one is able to do. To expect to be able to do all excursions like any other adult on the cruise is in deed utopia. However using a private guide/driver on their own, who is aware of the fact that there will be a baby along for the ride can change plans and be far more flexible if need be. They just have to accept the fact that at times they will have to skip venues because the baby has had enough or perhaps needs an additional break. That it is doable is based on all those northern Europeans who go south every single year with kid and babies of all ages - you just have to be a heck of a lot more flexible than your average adult cruiser.

@ the OP - FORGET DRIVING ON YOU OWN!!!! (Yes I am shouting!) I drive over 80.000 km a year all over Europe and even I won't drive in southern France or Italy if I can avoid it. With all due respect to your husband but what use is a map when there are no street names or certain road rules just don't seem to apply to the locals? That would definately be the more dangerous way of doing things.

Florence can be done by train for example and trains run all day so you could leave early if baby has had enough. The only catch is the italian rail workers tend to strike a little more often and out of the blue.

You can do Europe but it requires lots of additional planing and you have to understand that there is no way for you to see it all or as much as most adult cruisers will. If you and MIL can live with that then go for it. If this will be a problem then reconsider waiting until later.

I didn't say and certainly don't "insist" that it is undoable. I don't think my post was ridiculous. I wrote that to say it's fine simply because "babies grow up here too" is not a reasonable or accurate comparison. It's simply not the same thing to take a baby on vacation traveling from port to port and city to city (and perhaps with long bus or car trips) as it is to live and raise a baby in those places. While we certainly wouldn't do that cruise with a baby, some parents do. Some have a good time; others come back and say they'd never do it with a child that young again. All say it is a lot of work and that it's imperative to be very flexible with planning.

I thoroughly agree with you about them not renting cars and driving on their own. A private tour is absolutely the way to go for most ports. Trains can be great, but the frequency of Italian rail workers striking would give me a bit of pause. As long as they could find an alternative (even if it's an expensive taxi), then there's no reason for them not to at least try the train. We have always loved rail travel overseas, especially in Scandinavia. My in-laws have traveled Europe several times by train and love it.

beachchick

I didn't say and certainly don't "insist" that it is undoable. I don't think my post was ridiculous. I wrote that to say it's fine simply because "babies grow up here too" is not a reasonable or accurate comparison. It's simply not the same thing to take a baby on vacation traveling from port to port and city to city (and perhaps with long bus or car trips) as it is to live and raise a baby in those places. While we certainly wouldn't do that cruise with a baby, some parents do. Some have a good time; others come back and say they'd never do it with a child that young again. All say it is a lot of work and that it's imperative to be very flexible with planning.

beachchick

I had the same thought Beachchick and your post was not ridiculous at all it was realistic. Growing up somewhere and going on vacation there are not the same thing at all.

To the person who said you can control your child with expectations, not to offend, but that's not realistic. A 1 or 2 year old gets tired, they teeth, they get upset tummies, they get colds and feel lousy, they get overheated, they get overstimulated...sure it's good to have expectations and not put up with nonsense, but she's a baby. I think family vacations are one of the best things you can do, but you have to think of the child's enjoyment, and even put off things you want to do sometimes to accommodate what your child will enjoy.

It's not traveling with a child that I see as difficult, it's the port intensive, day after day, long days nature of a European cruise that gives me pause. I really think private tours are your best bet. Listen to the people who have driven there, it's not easy to navigate and in some of the areas the drivers are nuts...really...you have no idea until you've tried driving some of these places. I really like the freedom of driving ourselves, but we've learned from experience there are places it's better not to.

You might do better to do and land based tour. Then you don't have deadlines, you can tour each city on your own, doesn't take long to get back to your hotel if baby has had it for the day, no missing the boat pressure to get back by a certain time, someone can stay with the baby and trade off with someone else during the day without having to miss the whole days worth of site seeing.

I just don't see the child enjoying very much of it though and I think you need to be thoughtful of the child and what they will enjoy. I understand the circumstances in OP's case, but would her mother in law consider changing it to a Mexican, South American, Panama canal, Caribbean? There are short tours to choose from ( 2 hours instead of 8 - 10), beaches that the child will truly enjoy, much easier to return to the ship if needed as you aren't 2 hours away from it in most ports...Just some things to consider.

I'm sure if you plan well it will work out, just be aware, as I'm sure you are, that being a parent is about putting the needs and wants of your child before your own desires, even before those of your mother in law and being unselfish. Sometimes it's hard to stand up to others, but you are the advocate for your baby, you're all she has and she depends on you to see that her needs are met, no one else is going to put her needs first and foremost. You might need to fight for her needs, insist that you need private tours or that she's just had enough and you're staying on the ship with her that day. You may need to miss things that you want to do to accommodate your child's needs and for her wellbeing. You sound like you do, thinking about her safety with the car seat and coming here to ask advice, so take the advice and use it to prepare as best you can.

I'm willing to bet with such a strong desire to see Europe that this will not be the only time you have a chance to go, so don't take the this is my only chance attitude. Enjoy what you can see with the child's best interests first and foremost in your mind and plan to come back there later in your life to see the rest of it :)

I would get a GPS with Europe maps if I were to drive in Europe. I carry one when walking in Europe so I can find things and not wast time. Sure helped me in Rome and Spain when I got lost and needed to get back to the hotel or bus pickup point.

Make sure it supports the Europe maps and has a walking mode. You don't walk the same as driving since one way streets and other car impediments don't matter when walking.

Hi - I'm going on a family European cruise, and we have a little girl. She'll be 14 months old at the time. I know it's not the most ideal age for Europe, but this is the date everyone chose and we're happy to be able to go!

Any tips for Europe with such a small child? The carseat situation worries me the most, since ports are so far from the actual cities we hope to see. Are most excursions via large coach bus so she'll be OK without a car seat?

I hear about cobblestone streets a lot - does this mean a stroller is not a good option?

The ports we'll be visiting include Barcelona, Valencia, Villefranche (Nice), Provence (Marseilles), Livorno (Florence/Pisa), and Civitavecchia (Rome). Are there trains or easy transport options for a baby?

Any other experiences/advice? Thanks!

hey dont worry about the negative comments i think its a great idea your going away with an infant we are going on vos in may around the med my son will be 10 months old and my nephew 7 months old and we have had to endure lots of negative coments from people, if you had wanted peoples comments on talking your child you would have asked right?, ignore most of the people on here they are very narrow minded, you will be fine with a stroller there arnt that many cobbled streets in europe,most of the cities you are going to are quite modern, they may have cobbled streets but the sidewalks are mainly asphalt, be aware though that the journeys from the ports to the like of rome or pisa are quite lengthy and maybe unsuitable for a child but again thats your choice just ask at the excusions desk before you book how long the journeys are.

hope this helps

:) Wonder how you have traveled all over Europe and not seen cobbled streets??

I'm not sure you are giving the OP accurate representation.

Yes, of course, there are paved, concrete, tarred main roads but there are plenty of cobbles. OP has the right to know what to really expect. IMO

To the OP - please take into consideration the time change adjustment your child will have to go through - twice (going and coming back) and if regular naps are a part of the regular schedule, please try to incorporate them into the vacation.

I think it's really neat that your MIL wants to share this trip with all of you. If you temper your expectations for sightseeing and on the cruise with the challenges of traveling with a baby, you will set yourself up for having a better time than if you expect to see and do everything and then don't get to. I hope you have a great time.

I don't have anything to add to this thread. I just want to thank the OP for listening to the advice given here. It's very rare that I see a thread on the boards where a parent modifies his or her opinion of travel with small children after reading and reviewing replies to his or her original post.

I think the OP is to be congratulated for realizing that this trip is not going to be the kind of trip she was able to enjoy when she was childless. I hope your family has a wonderful time, OP...and I hope the other passengers benefit from your newer, more flexible attitude.

The best example you can set for your child is to be completely tuned into your child's needs, at least for the first few years. Selflessness is a great quality to instill in a child, and the child will feel loved and wanted if you do what's best for the child, not what's best for you.

Cruise or Lose,

Thank you. I posted on this board to try to better understand what options were available for us to keep the painful moments as limited as possible during this trip. I originally had no idea private tours could provide a car seat, and thought the large buses were our only option. I am, of course, much more comfortable WITH a car seat, and I'm happy to have found several cost-effective options for Florence. Her safety is our #1 priority over any sightseeing... or anything at all.

We knew from the beginning that it was going to be a challenge, and now I feel more prepared for what it's going to be like. I did not appreciate the condescending posts that took a tone of questioning towards our parenting. Since before she was born, DH and I both fully understood the life change and nonstop sacrifice we were making to bring her into this world. I sacfrificed my entire career and most of my self-identity for my daughter from day one. Every decent mom makes huge sacrifices willingly, and the condescension on here was beyond rude. But I'm glad I posted and got some good advice, anyway.

I do not believe that life stops because you have a child. My baby has already been on a few vacations and plane flights, and she is an awesome traveler because we haven't kept her sheltered at home. Can I expect her to be so easygoing at 14 months? Well, NO. Of course not. I know this. But I can hold out a little hope that she'll still be a sweetie even then. :)

We'll be able to enjoy this trip to the best of our ability... and hopefully the hair-pulling stressful events will be kept to a minimum based on some of the tips I received here. Again, I definitely feel more prepared now. I continue to research options - this will work out. Thanks again!!!

OP,

As a Nana with 7 (soon to be 8) I can understand your MIL's wanting all her family on this cruise. It will be different with one so young but even the "hair pulling" times will be looked back on as memories. I remember my youngest grandson on one of our cruises - we were at dinner and were lucky enough to have a table at the rear of the ship looking out over the water. The sun was setting and he just sat there looking. After it had set he said "wow, this is way better than Disneyland". That is what I remember - not the busy week onboard watching kids instead of just Papa and I relaxing (which we also do). Enjoy. Take lots of pic. Make a journal with pics to give to your child when they are older.

Hopefully, in planning this trip for a large group, your MIL is using a travel agent. USE that TA! My TA has arranged hotel and tours in Rome through Travel Bound, an agency only available to TAs, and they are much less expensive than ship tours, many with private guide and priority entry to museums (Vatican). In Rome, after a tour to Villa d'Este and the Vatican tour, we will have a two day pass on the hop on, hop off bus which has earphone narration in language of choice . The circuit takes two hours. We plan to do the entire circuit, then stay on and get off where we want to explore. by then, we will know where the stops are and can pick up the bus again when ready.

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? Folks there will be arranging all kinds of private tours and have lots of suggestions. EM

This may not totally answer your question but I will add my two cents. We are just returning from a 7 day caribbean cruise with a feisty 2 year old. No, I have to admit it will not be the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation you have ever taken BUT it is worth it. You just have to go into the trip with NO expectations. I know that sounds bad but it's the truth.

We did not bring a car seat but did bring the stroller. We used a "c.a.r.e.s" harness for the plane and bought his own seat. Having him in his own seat is a life saver as well. I didn't want to subject anyone to sitting next to a kicking child. I would also recommend either a front or back carrier. It really saves your arms and is light weight. Bring snacks that you know your child will eat. Our son decided to go on a hunger strike for some strange reason even though all his favorite foods were there so he ate gold fish and yogurt for most of the trip. Bring a small cooler (enough to fit a bottle and some snacks).

Yes the caribbean is different than Europe but if you have the chance to go, don't let having a child stop you. Kids are portable as long as you understand the limitations of your vacation. You can't expect to see and do it all unfortunately. It will be stressful but worth it.

And that's my two cents! Hope you have a great trip!!!!:D

Since you are getting the little one their own seat, why not bring your car seat for the plane. I flew with my daughter and granddaugter from Chicago to Florida when my granddaughter was only 18 months old. The car seat was a life saver. She was strapped in and didn't really object because it was something that she was used to. If you bring your car seat on the plane, you won't have to worry about there being a car seat up to your safety standards.

Since you are going with other family members, I would highly recommend private tours for your family group. The tour can be customized for your needs and since your MIL's husband isn't well, that would be a very good option. We found that doing private tours with a small group of 8-10 was cost less than doing the ship's tour (about 2/3 to 1/2 the cost of the ship's tour per person) and we actually saw more because there were only the car load to keep track - on the ship's tours you always have that particular passenger(s) who feel that the time stated to be back at the bus does not apply to them. Also, on a private tour lunch was at a local spot - not the banquet type lunch that is provided on a full day ship tour.

So much great input has been offered already in this thread, and I too am pleased to see you actually re-aligning your plans and expectations based on what you've read in here. I realize some of it was hard to read, but all of it, I assure you, was well-meant, from people who have experience with this kind of thing.

I have three things to offer:

1. In addition to your regular stroller, I would bring an umbrella stroller. They are great for getting around the narrow corridors of the ship, without the big heavy stroller - and they collapse into something light and carry-able when she wants to walk. They will also be great for the ports where you can walk around close to the pier and you don't need to bring everything.

2. PLEASE do not take any bus tours. Just for the sake of the other pax. It sounds like you are finding great private tour options - I would just implore you not to take ANY bus tours. I've had bus tours ruined (and I do mean ruined) by screaming babies and toddlers. And I am no child-hater, I'm a mother of two, and have taken my kids all over the world as well (although not on cruises till they were much older). Bus tours in Europe are not designed for young children. Trust me that you don't want to deal with the baleful stares of 40 sweltering passengers who had to sit on an un-airconditioned bus for 20 minutes waiting for you because your daughter chose that time to fill her diaper, and you needed to change her.

3. Please be conscious at all times of how your child is affecting others nearby. This might seem like it doesn't need to be said, and I know others have said similar things, but I believe it bears repeating. I was kept awake for an entire 13-hour flight by a toddler kicking the back of my seat - it was a terrible way to start my vacaction. There will be lots of grandparents on your ship who will enjoy your daughter, and she'll probably get lots of fun attention - until the moment she starts crying. Remember, that's the best part of being a grandparent - you can hand them back when they get cranky or stinky! ;)

4. Be prepared to sacrifice sites and tours...perhaps more than you'd like, or are expecting. It sounds like you are already understanding this may be the case - but I just wanted to mention that you will have a much better time if you accept up front that this might happen a LOT. This way, when you ARE able to get off the ship and see wonderful things, they will all feel like a bonus...and when you have to forgo something you really wanted to see, you'll be prepared and won't find the disappointment too crushing.

Follow the above, and all the other great advice you've recieved in here, and you should be fine. It's not an optimum vacation situation, but I think you realize that at this point :).

Lejnd4

I like your post. # 3 especially. This has happened to us every overseas flight I've taken. If there are 5 babies on board, one of them is assured to be crying and fussy at some point in the flight, no matter how well behaved you think your child is.

I am of the firm belief that small children have no place in aircraft at all, unless it is an extreme emergency that they fly somewhere, not just for a vacation to satisfy someones selfish needs. My GOD, taking a child that age to Disneyland or Disneyworld is a tiring trip. Multiply that by 7 or 10 or 12 days. I can't believe parents or grandparents would put their child through that.

I have my flameproof suit, but that's just the way I feel. One young couple on one of our flights, was just beside themselves. This baby was about 10 months old, and from take off in Zurich, until landing 11 1/2 hours later in LAX, she cried, screamed, kicked the whole way. Everyone was giving her their keys, cookies, her bottle, her father walked her, her mother walked her, the flight attendant played with her, I myself tried to play peek-a-boo, all to no avail. And SLEEP, I don't think the kid even thought about it. Mom and Dad were almost at the point of crying themselves. Mom just kept repeating, she is usually such a good baby. I just don't know what could be wrong. She did not have a fever, nor was she sick. She may have been sooo overtired from her WONDERFUL vacation that she couldn't relax. But that sure made a whole planeful of other people very miserable too, and we were all mightly glad to touch down in LA believe me.

I’m going to add a few things too. First, I really do understand you MIL wanting to take this trip with the whole family. We ran into a similar issue when my GD was born. Originally my DD thought she could just use a babysitter while we were gone, but once born chose not to go rather then leave her baby for 3 weeks. That would have thrown the whole “family” thing off since there were several family members going. We took the 6 MO baby with us to Australia/New Zealand. It was a BIG challenge.

First, pack diapers and baby stuff in several suitcases incase one goes missing. Bring her favorite snack. Like someone else said, all of a sudden my 3 YO GS (turned 3 the day of the cruise) got finicky. He wanted PB&J sandwiches and they were out of PB. And root beer. He wanted root beer. The kid doesn’t even drink root beer! We don’t normally give him soda so how he started on that was beyond us. Here were the challenges we encountered. First we did hire private tours in all but two ports and I’m glad we did. Even so, we had a cranky little boy. Every time the bus stopped for a “quick stop” he wanted off and wanted to walk around. Getting back on the bus made him cry. He just wanted to NOT be on a bus anymore. I might point out that we live in LA so driving an hour to get someplace is normal for him and he’s good with it. They were long outings and he was exhausted. Which brings me to the second point. Get the later dinner sitting. We thought the early would be best but as it turns out, we would just get back on the ship before we had to dress for dinner and head down to eat. He was tired. He wanted/needed a nap. The choice was, nap or scream. He got the nap and the parents ate later in the buffet by themselves. After the long trip, they missed some key sightseeing, like the Sydney Opera House but the kids needed to get checked into the hotel and get their nap. Would we take them again. YES! Was it a tough time? YES! Like suggested by others, arrange for private tours with just your group, but be prepared even then for grumpy reactions from your family even. It is was it is, the kids get tired. If you have to miss something then you have to miss. The plane was a long flight and everyone slept but my DD who was afraid to sleep because the engines were loud and she wanted to make sure she could hear the baby. She slept when we got home. My GS still remembers the cruise – wants to go back to Australia and ride Puffing Billy again.

You might go to the port section and start getting recommendations for vans/drivers. Personally, I can highly recommend http://www.limoinrome.com We used this service for 3 of the ports - Florence, Rome and one of the others. Having a good driver will be the make/break deal for your trip. It's a very port intensive, exhausting cruise for adults so hang in there!

You might go to the port section and start getting recommendations for vans/drivers. Personally, I can highly recommend http://www.limoinrome.com We used this service for 3 of the ports - Florence, Rome and one of the others. Having a good driver will be the make/break deal for your trip. It's a very port intensive, exhausting cruise for adults so hang in there!

She did - and she got about a bazillion recommendations for limoinrome! ;) After reading all those glowing reviews, I've resolved to use them myself the next time I do a Med cruise!

The latest studies reccommend that benadryl no longer be used in children under 4 years old, for anything. Yes a lot of babies have used it safely, but a lot of babies have had problems and even died and the study shows it is not effective in safe doses. Giving your child benadryl in a safe dosage does not induce sleep any better than the placebo did. Giving them more than the safe dosage to induce sleep is...well not safe. It is dangerous to your child. If you have to drug your child to take them someplace maybe you should think twice about your plans.

Archived