Prices in specialty restaurants higher now???!!!

starrian

You pre-order this (find it on the NCL website). It is $79 per couple (and it can be for anyone, like mother and daughter, not a couple) and contains these perks:

chocolate covered strawberries delivered to your cabin

bottle of bubbly waiting for you in your cabin upon embarkation

canapes one afternoon during the week

dinner for two at Le Bistro (you make the reservation. It is not assigned)

bottle of wine at Le Bistro

cake and champagne party for the anniversary people, Invitation for it in cabin

photo to keep taken in front of the cake-pick up from the photo desk

Phyllis

Thanks for the info. I didn't pay attention to this on the website when I first looked. We are going to book it!!

We got off the Gem last Wed. the Th. We ate at Cagney's $20, La Cucina $10, Tequila Tapas $10, LeBistro $15 and Orchid Garden $15. On the last three nights of the cruise, they ran a half-price special for La Cucina, Orchid Garden and Tequila if you dined in them between 5:30 - 7:30 PM.

You know.. something occurred to me this morning. Wonder if they are trying the price increases out on the Sky first.. and seeing if they lose any business because of it, or if they do lose business.. how much. is it worth it.. etc. I know NCL does that.. tries something on one ship before making it fleet wide.. Just like they did with having suite guest be able to have breakfast and lunch in Cagneys.. etc.

Personally I didn't think you needed to post the actual charges.. After all, if someone wasn't going to just take your word for it to begin with, they could look at the $50.00 you were charged and think it was still the $20.00 per person x 2 plus a $10.00 tip. Like I have said..I think most are just trying to fingure out what is going on with the increase.

terrymtex--I think that they raised the prices on the restaurants on the Sky because they could get away with it. Since the ship has been sailing full because of all the cheap prices they were giving it away for, they could get more for the restaurants, and they need to improve their bottom line. Both nights we dined in the specialty restaurants, they were pretty full, not totally--BUT we ate early both nights, at 6 PM, because those were the only times we could get in, other than really late. And as far as people not believing me on the price, I was hoping maybe the bill did show $25 times 2, not just the total. I have our little reservation slip, but it didn't show any price at all.

I have no idea what capacity the other ships have been sailing at, but if they are not sailing nearly full, then that could be the reason they are hiking the price on the Sky and not the others.

I was on Sky in July. If I recall, there were no "early bird sprecials" or "two for ones" on her. The restaurants were always crowded. Also, there are only two specialty restaurants, right? Maybe that's why they feel their prices can be higher. I guess it's working for them.

terrymtex--I think that they raised the prices on the restaurants on the Sky because they could get away with it. Since the ship has been sailing full because of all the cheap prices they were giving it away for, they could get more for the restaurants, and they need to improve their bottom line. Both nights we dined in the specialty restaurants, they were pretty full, not totally--BUT we ate early both nights, at 6 PM, because those were the only times we could get in, other than really late. And as far as people not believing me on the price, I was hoping maybe the bill did show $25 times 2, not just the total. I have our little reservation slip, but it didn't show any price at all.

I have no idea what capacity the other ships have been sailing at, but if they are not sailing nearly full, then that could be the reason they are hiking the price on the Sky and not the others.

Most all ship sail full. The difference with the Sky is it is doing 3/4 day cruises. Generally most passengers want to eat at least once during cruise in a specialty restaurant. Divide a % of 2200 passengers over 3 or 4 nights and you have more then twice the demand of a 7-10 day cruise per night.

Classic supply and demand. Raise the price and they still fully book all is good for NCL. It it sounds from your post they are full. Yes there will always be some empty tables at every hour to make sure they have space for reservations coming in in less time then it takes you to finish.

You know.. something occurred to me this morning. Wonder if they are trying the price increases out on the Sky first.. and seeing if they lose any business because of it, or if they do lose business.. how much. is it worth it.. etc. I know NCL does that.. tries something on one ship before making it fleet wide.. Just like they did with having suite guest be able to have breakfast and lunch in Cagneys.. etc.

Personally I didn't think you needed to post the actual charges.. After all, if someone wasn't going to just take your word for it to begin with, they could look at the $50.00 you were charged and think it was still the $20.00 per person x 2 plus a $10.00 tip. Like I have said..I think most are just trying to fingure out what is going on with the increase.

Terry, you are right, most of us are just confused. The other ships apparently have not raised their prices so it came as a surprise. I certainly never doubted her, just wondered why the difference. That is why, when someone asked me if it was possible to have a different price on one ship I said, yes, I have seen it a few times, but rarely.

Nita

Most all ship sail full. The difference with the Sky is it is doing 3/4 day cruises. Generally most passengers want to eat at least once during cruise in a specialty restaurant. Divide a % of 2200 passengers over 3 or 4 nights and you have more then twice the demand of a 7-10 day cruise per night.

Classic supply and demand. Raise the price and they still fully book all is good for NCL. It it sounds from your post they are full. Yes there will always be some empty tables at every hour to make sure they have space for reservations coming in in less time then it takes you to finish.

yes, they are going out full. The difference, longer cruises, more choices, right now the line has to keep the prices down a little.

Nita

I've said this a few months ago and I'll say it again;

I believe it's bad public relations to have different prices on different ships.

We're only talking about 10 or 11 ships. Freestyle Cruising and many restuarant choices is probably one of the main reasons cruisers choose NCL. Don't upset and/or confuse passengers about the extra costs.

It should take just one decision by headquarters to make a decision on restaurant charges and notify all 10-11 ships.

They can print the charges in their brochures and passengers will know, in advance, what those charges are. This is not about charging more or charging less. They have a right to make money. BUT.....

This is not rocket science!

Of course ocassionally they may try something out but for the most part, they should pick a price and keep it fleetwide.

We can all think of many reasons why restaurant surcharge prices could be higher on some cruises over others. But it just adds to unnecessay confusion.

Just MHO

I've said this a few months ago and I'll say it again;

I believe it's bad public relations to have different prices on different ships.

We're only talking about 10 or 11 ships. Freestyle Cruising and many restuarant choices is probably one of the main reasons cruisers choose NCL. Don't upset and/or confuse passengers about the extra costs.

It should take just one decision by headquarters to make a decision on restaurant charges and notify all 10-11 ships.

They can print the charges in their brochures and passengers will know, in advance, what those charges are. This is not about charging more or charging less. They have a right to make money. BUT.....

This is not rocket science!

Of course ocassionally they may try something out but for the most part, they should pick a price and keep it fleetwide.

We can all think of many reasons why restaurant surcharge prices could be higher on some cruises over others. But it just adds to unnecessay confusion.

Just MHO

good point Steve..

good point Steve..

Thanks Nita.

I believe the possible confusion creates more problems for the NCL product than the possible benefits (whatever they might be).

While I'm at it.... I wonder how much effort it would take to properly train the NCL Customer Service People at headquarters. In this day and age it should not, IMHO, depend upon who you talk to -to get answers to customers questions about NCL.

I mean we certainly have enough opinions and well intentioned answers from us on CC, but ideally, all it should take is one call to NCL headquarters or customer service to get the "RIGHT" answer.

After all who should know more about NCL than NCL?

Thanks Nita.

I believe the possible confusion creates more problems for the NCL product than the possible benefits (whatever they might be).

While I'm at it.... I wonder how much effort it would take to properly train the NCL Customer Service People at headquarters. In this day and age it should not, IMHO, depend upon who you talk to -to get answers to customers questions about NCL.

I mean we certainly have enough opinions and well intentioned answers from us on CC, but ideally, all it should take is one call to NCL headquarters or customer service to get the "RIGHT" answer.

don't fret, it is the same on all lines. It is rare to find 2 reservations agents that have the exact same story...

Nita

Thanks Nita.

I wish they would get up to speed and be one of these companies that hires customer service agents to work out of their homes. You know? Where like I could answer calls for them but from my home instead of a call center? I would do that in a heart beat, and I know I would give out better answers than some I have read about being given out to CC'ers when they call in.

I wish they would get up to speed and be one of these companies that hires customer service agents to work out of their homes. You know? Where like I could answer calls for them but from my home instead of a call center? I would do that in a heart beat, and I know I would give out better answers than some I have read about being given out to CC'ers when they call in.

Great idea! I completely agree with you. Whenever I see you've posted on a subject that interests me, I read it because I respect your opinion and I know that you have the facts. It would be nice to get the real answers from knowledgeable, passionate cruisers like you when we call.

I think NCL (and the rest too) already rely on CC to provide valuable 'customer service'. After my cruise I was surveyed by NCL and one of the items I had to rate was how valuable the information I got from places like CC (mentioned by name) was!

Hi Terry,

If I'm recalling correctly from many NCL cruises, the tip at the spec. restaurants shows up as a separate line item. Carol's bill doesn't look like that.

Thanks for all your contributions to this forum. Love your posts and your experiences with NCL are always worth reading!

Archived