Best place to stay in Sydney (near terminal)

Alymo1

Hi,

We want to stay the night before as close as possible to the wharf.

Can you recommend accomodation for 2 adults and 2 children that is within a budget.

Regards

Robert

try the IBIS hotel at Darling Harbour or Crowne plaza also at darling harbour

cheers

col:)

We stayed at The Menzies, was great, $139-00 for 2 adults and 2 children and included full buffet breakfasts for all 4 of us. Someone on this thread told me about it and i didnt believe it , seemed way tooooo cheap so I rang and yes it was right, The buffet breakies were great and only 5 min walk to wharf.

if you are leaving from wharf 8 i believe this hotel has just opened up

Ibis King Street Wharf hotel

joanne

I have actually emailed them this morning for a quote and will advise when I get a reply. However, looking at their website I could only find Queen rooms. I have asked for a quote for 2 adults & 2 children aged 13 & 14.

hmm just checked out wot if and they say 2 adults one child up to 11years

must be small rooms

joanne

I've spent most of this morning looking for a place & it's amazing how many of them only sleep 2 or 3 people.

We're only an hour out of Sydney so don't need to stay in town the night before but we'd like to.

hmm just checked out wot if and they say 2 adults one child up to 11years

must be small rooms

joanne

IBIS are almost always very small rooms, particularly the new ones. But ok for 1 or two nights. I have stayed in a few IBIS hotels, generally good, clean, compact. I have had relations stay at Ibis, Darling Harbour, it was ok. There are some good city hotel deals around in January because room occupancy is low due to holiday season, many business people still off.

I've spent most of this morning looking for a place & it's amazing how many of them only sleep 2 or 3 people.

We're only an hour out of Sydney so don't need to stay in town the night before but we'd like to.

I just about drove myself Nuts doing the same thing, I had Google Earth and Maps up to see how far away the Wharf was and how far I had to walk etc.

I ended up just booking at the Menzies, Train to Wynyard exit the station on Carrington st level and a short walk to the hotel.

It's all Down Hill to the Wharf in the morning :D gotta love that.

Yes it was more expensive ($15) but the Ibis is a Kennel (call me a snob but I just can't handle staying somewhere with a window that is smaller than my En Suite Toliet window).

I was also looking at the Medina Grand Harbourside it had some good rates etc, and it's a flat walk to the wharf.

Too late, but we stayed at the Ibis King Street Wharf last night, and it was quite nice - its new and quite modern. Spitting distance to the wharf (like literally less than a minute walk). Only queen rooms, but you could get two and ask for them next to one another.

Its not luxury, and they are small rooms, but for overnight they are great. All the staff I dealt with were fab too - even let us check in at 10am when we got off the boat.

Hi

We are doing the same later in the year, but only 2 adults. We have 4 small kids and if we go anywhere its 2 rooms, I have noticed 3 person MAX is very common.

From what I am seeing in the price range and feedback the Ibis has small rooms but the price is qite high for 1 nights sleep.

Can anyone recommend somewhere 'cheapish'. There must be somewhere close by that does not charge a small fortune for 1 night (and is clean).

Steve

Karmac, if your kids are sensible (and wont die of cooties sharing a bed for one whole night!) it would be most likely cheaper to get 2 queen rooms - plus then you and DH can walk around starkers without scarring them for life! I think they are about $99 per night at the moment?

We stayed at The Menzies, was great, $139-00 for 2 adults and 2 children and included full buffet breakfasts for all 4 of us. Someone on this thread told me about it and i didnt believe it , seemed way tooooo cheap so I rang and yes it was right, The buffet breakies were great and only 5 min walk to wharf.

http://www.accorhotels.com.au/availability/default.aspx?hotelcode=2977&utm_campaign=H2977&utm_medium=AU-hotelwebsite&utm_source=Hotelwebsite&utm_content=generic_link

Heres the link for the Menzies, we have just stayed there b4 our cruise on 6th jan on the Rhapsody, we actually got the room for $149 included brekkie, its a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay down hill.

Stevo.

We also stayed at the Ibis King St Wharf hotel and I would happily stay there each time we leave from Darling Harbour. It was small but we didn't keep bumping into each other, the bed was comfy, the window is small in width but quite tall and we had a good view of the street traffic which we were surprised we couldn't hear. It must be really soundproofed to block out that noise. The staff were really the best I have come across in our Darling Harbour stays. Very helpful, they had kept my phone charger that we left behind and knew we would probably be back for it when we got back. The breakfast there was good too, self serve but the waiter was standing by to help bring over anything we needed. $99 for the room $17.50 for a full buffet breakfast. We have also stayed at the Medina Grand which is quite large and great for a longer stay, apartments really. We also stayed at the Darling Harbour Ibis but the staff weren't as helpful as the King St Ibis. That may be because it is just new. It really is one block to the terminal, you can actually see the hotel from the terminal. Great coffee shops in the area and the Moreton hotel across from the terminal.

I forgot to mention they also have a shuttle bus to and from the airport for $12.

http://www.accorhotels.com.au/availability/default.aspx?hotelcode=2977&utm_campaign=H2977&utm_medium=AU-hotelwebsite&utm_source=Hotelwebsite&utm_content=generic_link

Heres the link for the Menzies, we have just stayed there b4 our cruise on 6th jan on the Rhapsody, we actually got the room for $149 included brekkie, its a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay down hill.

Stevo.

I have just received an email from The Menzies & they have quoted me $389, room only:eek:. Out of my price range.

I forgot to add.......this is a "special" rate & only available for 24 hours.

Hi

We are doing the same later in the year, but only 2 adults. We have 4 small kids and if we go anywhere its 2 rooms, I have noticed 3 person MAX is very common.

From what I am seeing in the price range and feedback the Ibis has small rooms but the price is qite high for 1 nights sleep.

Can anyone recommend somewhere 'cheapish'. There must be somewhere close by that does not charge a small fortune for 1 night (and is clean).

Steve

Hi Steve

If you're ok with travelling across the bridge, there is a great B&B at Kirribilli called Glenferrie Lodge. Reasonable and with breakfast included. We stayed there in a family room last year. Downfalls are shared bathrooms - but very clean, and on street parking. Walk to ferry across the harbour to Darling Harbour or Circular Quay. It suited us because we have friends who live opposite ( no not the PM!) and they looked after our car. Taxi to wharf 8 was about $20. Their rates and details are all on their website. Its a good alternative to a hotel for our needs, esp for just one night.

Jo

I have just received an email from The Menzies & they have quoted me $389, room only:eek:. Out of my price range.

I forgot to add.......this is a "special" rate & only available for 24 hours.

Hi Karen,

We are staying at the Wynyard Hotel in Sydney, it's only about a 5 minute walk to the ship. Pretty basic but for one night it wil do us.

shade.gif

rates.jpg

shade.gif

The Wynyard Hotel Room Rates

single room $80 per person 1 night 1 pax

double room $95 per couple 1 night 2 pax

twin room $100 per couple 1 night 2 pax

family room $140 per family 1 night 4 pax

Hi Karen,

We are staying at the Wynyard Hotel in Sydney, it's only about a 5 minute walk to the ship. Pretty basic but for one night it wil do us.

shade.gif

shade.gif

The Wynyard Hotel Room Rates

single room $80 per person 1 night 1 pax

double room $95 per couple 1 night 2 pax

twin room $100 per couple 1 night 2 pax

family room $140 per family 1 night 4 pax

That's where we stayed the night before our Nov cruise. We might end up there again. Will see what Jim thinks. As I've said before, we don't NEED to stay in town the night before but we'd like to. When we took Alex down on Sunday morning it took us 45 mins to get there. A Friday will be different though. Probably an hour.

The main reason we stayed at the Wynyard last tme was because there were 5 of us and they were the only ones willing to put a mattress on the floor for the 5th person. Everywhere else we looked we needed 2 rooms.

It is clean & comfortable which is the main thing. A bit noisy though. Our room was a corner one so you can imagine the traffic noise in the morning. But I didn't let that bother me coz I was tooexcited to sleep anyway:D

I forgot to mention another benefit of staying at the Ibis King St Wharf, there is a 24 hr convenience store across the road, the rooms have an iron and ironing board, the floors aren't carpet, they're some kind of vinyl with a wood patterned look. Probably a lot healthier than carpet! There is also a safe similar to the ships safes, tea/coffee, fridge etc.

Hi,

Thanks for all your help and input.

We have been trying to arrange this accommodation for the last three weeks and it has been a real challenge. Each time you ring a Hotel you get a different price!

With the Ibis we have to have two adjoining rooms and worked out too expensive.

Most of the Hotels around the Wharf don't seem to cater for two adults and two kids. They require you to have two rooms

I have contacted the Menzies and their price is $189 room only with no brekkie.

We should all get together and negotiate an ongoing, standard, reasonable price for our accommodation.

Regards,

Robert

We stayed at the Mint Napoleon on Kent Apartments the night before our cruise, it was $199.00 for 2 adults and 2 children, we had a queen bed and a fold out sofa that both the kids slept on (it was only for one night). We bought a carton of milk and some cereal for breakfast as the room has a kitchen in it.

They are located behind the Moreton Hotel and you just walk down the hill straight into the terminal. Only thing that worried me was that it was located directly under the expressway, we heard no traffic at all.

We stayed at the Mint Napoleon on Kent Apartments the night before our cruise, it was $199.00 for 2 adults and 2 children, we had a queen bed and a fold out sofa that both the kids slept on (it was only for one night). We bought a carton of milk and some cereal for breakfast as the room has a kitchen in it.

They are located behind the Moreton Hotel and you just walk down the hill straight into the terminal. Only thing that worried me was that it was located directly under the expressway, we heard no traffic at all.

Hi, we have also stayed at the Mint Napoleon on Kent.

although room was basic, it was clean, tidy and a great position,

in morning we looked from the balcony and could see ship in front.

it is an easy walk to the terminal. even with a walking stick.(no noise from traffic in our room )

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Thats true so I always try for an apartment...but some of the hotels like Novotel have rooms with two double beds in them...you can try that also.

Archived