med cruise with 3 year old. Pompeii?

Hi. I'd really appreciate any input from people who have gone on a med cruise with young kids. Will be traveling with 3 year old grandson. Is it possible to go to Pompeii with him. Would it be possible to use stroller? Please help. thank you!

Hi. I'd really appreciate any input from people who have gone on a med cruise with young kids. Will be traveling with 3 year old grandson. Is it possible to go to Pompeii with him. Would it be possible to use stroller? Please help. thank you!

I have never cruised with kids,but I can tell you it would be almost impossible to use a stroller in Pompeii..you will be walking on the original roads!!!! You would also have to keep him in check as it could be easy for him to hurt himself as not ideal for running around either.Just an FYI.

A 3 year old is pretty young, I would not go to Pompeii with him, I have been to Pompeii and it can get pretty hot there, you will not be able to enjoy that outing.

Others have already chimed in; very hot ( summer), lots of walking on old ruined roads, really not stroller/wheelchair friendly. The larger question is if the 3 year old, if potty trained can stay on the ship. You don't mention what other places you'll visit but I can't think of too many places that will not be a challenge. 3 is old enough to have their own mind and legs to want to get around, but not nearly old enough to appreciate 99% of the likely port activities.

The onboard kids club is likely the best thing to consider.

I say go to the family boards for this post.. you wont get a "fair and balanced"response...

We are sdoing Pompeii in May- with our 2 YO.

It can be done. Wont be the same as with out him, but it CAN be done. (Did the original inhabitants of Pompeii give birth to adults??)

I say go to the family boards for this post.. you wont get a "fair and balanced"response...

We are sdoing Pompeii in May- with our 2 YO.

It can be done. Wont be the same as with out him, but it CAN be done. (Did the original inhabitants of Pompeii give birth to adults??)

I think it a isn't a question as can it be done. But will he or the parents/grandparents actually enjoy it with junior.

If it is summer it'll be 80 maybe hotter with a LOT of walking and walking. If you plan to see the "red light district" it'll really be a hike. Not to mention the drive from port, and if you are then off to say Amafli or other place you are talking another 4-6 hours in the car. Similar in the ports of Rome and Florence/Pisa. It was hard enough for my 7 year old and she has a real sense of adventure, but after she got a taste what a day in the kids club was like. She asked us every day if she could stay on the boat, and in some ports it really made sense, Naples was one of those ports. She did enjoy many things, but more less so. For a 3 year old I can't imagine they will appreciate anything at all between sitting in a car seat, bus then having to walk or be carried. Imagine trying to see the Vatican, Sistine chapel and the Basilica with the mobs of crowds trying to push a stroller, or carrying junior.

Can it be done, yes. Would it be more enjoyable for junior in the kids club and the parents/grandparents in the port, no question YES.

Now if it isn't a vacation if the family isn't togather then that is something else and maybe a nice cruise with lots of stops at beaches is a better alternative. That is what we did more of when our kids were younger as Europe isn't really age appropriate when you get right down to it.

Your post has just made me smile.

The last time we visited Pompeii on a cruise ship, my youngest son was 3 years old.

It was virtually impossible. He of course didn't want to remain still..or quiet..and was too much of a distyraction for the guide & group,so we had to leave the tour group, find a cafe, stroll a little on our own and meet up again at the end.

My husband was particularly disappointed and it has always been one of his biggest regrets. My son is now 15. The funny thing is he is deeply interested in Classical History and one of his greatest wishes for the last few years has been to visit Pompeii. Hopefully this will be resolved for them both later this year when we will visit Naples again. :)

Most cruise lines offer a babysiting service on port days. My advice would be to take advantage of this facility and enjoy Pompeii on your own.

Good point, but the original inhabitants didn't have to wrestle a stroller up and down those streets and on and off those walkways. I got pretty tired of stepping up and down them as a reasonably fit 40-something! Carrying a child and/or stroller would have been a lot harder. Many of the walkways are too high for a three-year-old to step up onto by himself, and the "stepping stones" at the street corners are too far apart for little legs. The stone surface of most of the streets is quite uneven and hard to walk on, which is why I was stepping on to and off of the walkways.

I did see a couple with a toddler and an umbrella-type stroller. Mum was carrying a large tote bag and the stroller, and Dad was carrying the child. All three were red-faced and sweaty, and did not look as though they were haviing fun.

If you take your child with you, I think I would definitely leave the stroller on the ship that day.

Lisa

We went on a Med cruise with my 5 yo daughter. After Rome she said "no more tours!" So we left her in the capable hands of the kids club on the ship. I say, see how it goes in the earlier ports, but Pompeii especially, probably best not bring him. It was hot, and a lot of uneven walking. We were exhausted at the end, and she was very happy on the ship.

Havent travelled to Pompeii with a small one..... and I am one who is always for taking your little ones along..... we did when they were young.

But Pompeii ???? MMMM - Probably not. You did not say when you will be in this area.....but if in the summer it gets hot. And a stroller..... just not gonna work here.....

We have travelled with our kids since they were babies (they are now 18 and 22). There are some places that are great for kids and some that aren't. The type of vacation we take has evolved over the years as our kids have grown up.

Pompeii is great--but not for a 3 year old, esp a 3 year old in a stroller. It is very uneven and kind of hard even for an adult to walk on at times.

When the boys were little, we did more land based beach type vacations, national park trips, etc.

We went to Europe with the both when the youngest was 5, but he was able to completely get around without a stroller or any special assistance. It was a land based trip to England, and we visited a lot of castles, etc. Great for boys to run around and pretend to be knights.

As they got older, we started cruising, but we didn't go on any ships tours till the oldest was a teenager.

You just need to try to look at it from the kids perspective. Pompeii is not going to be fun for a 3 year old.

I have 2 grown children so don't get me wrong here,but I could never understand why people always feel like they have to travel with their small children to places that just don't make any sense to take them and subject other people to them when they tired,restless,act up etc.There are planty of laces to travel with them when small,and places to go when they are older and can remember where they went.Europe can be a toss up especially on a cruise(if not geared to children, a nightmare),and I think this is where common sense of the parents should come in not the opinions of other's although they can be of great help I must say.I had to post this since this question comes up a lot and this is just food for thought nothing more.:)

I have 2 grown children so don't get me wrong here,but I could never understand why people always feel like they have to travel with their small children to places that just don't make any sense to take them and subject other people to them when they tired,restless,act up etc.There are planty of laces to travel with them when small,and places to go when they are older and can remember where they went.Europe can be a toss up especially on a cruise(if not geared to children, a nightmare),and I think this is where common sense of the parents should come in not the opinions of other's although they can be of great help I must say.I had to post this since this question comes up a lot and this is just food for thought nothing more.:)

I to often wonder, when we give honest answers they are viewed as unbalanced, unfair. I'm only a few short years from being a parent during that youthful stage ( now 8, 12, 14). We remember many a nice vacation and extended family ones enjoying pools, beaches and retiring to the room for naps. Traveling to foreign countries, enduring long flights, travel etc. etc. seems silly.

The counter point often raised is these are often once in a lifetime vacations for the extended "family." I often wonder then is it family time they are after or sights and a check off some been there seen that map. If it is special time with an aging parent, I've done those too what could be more enjoyable then quality relaxing time? Or if the see the world is a must, we have simply left one parent on the boat/hotel or even at home and the other goes with the older ones for that once in a lifetime vacation. Why would a grandparent who dreams about Pompeii want to drag their poor grandchild there for what would be less than best experience versus leaving junior on the boat is lost on me. Sometimes truth or commons sense isn't welcome but you can't change the obvious.

If there was a RIGHT answer, there wouldnt be a need for the boards...

What works for some.. wont work for others.

What is WRONG is the jugdgementalism on these boards.

It is Ok to give an opinion.. for example.. Pompeii would be difficult to navigate with a stroller, you may want to consider that...consider the children's club

But when people make comments like:

subject other people to them when they tired,restless,act up etc

Is just plain rude. I dont want my children around people who are rude, who smoke, who swear, etc.. but that is life. I dont criticize those who do those things... And I know I cant sanitize the world to meet my needs...

If we could all be a little more accepting of others, maybe the world would be a heck of a better place.

If there was a RIGHT answer, there wouldnt be a need for the boards...

What works for some.. wont work for others.

What is WRONG is the jugdgementalism on these boards.

It is Ok to give an opinion.. for example.. Pompeii would be difficult to navigate with a stroller, you may want to consider that...consider the children's club

But when people make comments like:

subject other people to them when they tired,restless,act up etc

Is just plain rude. I dont want my children around people who are rude, who smoke, who swear, etc.. but that is life. I dont criticize those who do those things... And I know I cant sanitize the world to meet my needs...

If we could all be a little more accepting of others, maybe the world would be a heck of a better place.

I agree. What's the difference taking a little one to the beach where they can get tired and cry or somewhere in Europe where they can get tired and cry. Kids are kids. And perhaps there are those who not only are looking for "family time" but also to experience places to cross them off a list TOGETHER.

We ALWAYS took our kids with us. Does my son remember Jamaica when he was 15 months old and again at 25 months old ? NO.... do we remember funny things about that trip that involve him ??? Like when my daughter handed him a slice of fresh lime and the face we captured in a picture I still have ??? Or when we went tubing and my 6 y/o daughter had to have a tube with a bottom - because she had just read about a river in So. America and piranahs...... sure she was to be eaten :o

I would not trade or change a single moment of our vacations with our kids. Sometimes they got tired....sometimes I got tired. Some things they remember - some things they don't. I always was aware if this could be bothering others and made every effort to minimize this - but there will always be people whom you can't please.

OH - and they do have kids in Europe....everywhere....and they cry. We went to one pizza place in Amalfi...... a local had two toddlers and they were both going at it at the top of their lungs - we laughed.

But there are types of vacations that are better suited to young children. If you go to the beach at a hotel, you can always go inside and take a time out or nap anytime. Much harder to do if you are on a day long excursion to Pompeii, for example.

I think it isn't fair to expect children to have the attention spans of adults. And my kids always traveled with us, even when they were babies. There will be time to do the more educational things when they are older. We did go to the pyramids at Chichen Itza when my youngest was 2--but he could run around, and we stayed at the hotel right by the ruins. We went back and took a nap in the afternoon instead of doing a day long of sight seeing.

Rachel-

I know many babies who hate sand and salt water.. So again, to generalize is not fair. (Not to mention we spend our summer on our boat and every weekend is at a different "port" and a different beach.. This is vacation!!!)

I have lived in Europe and am so excited to go back and share it with my family. We wont be doing a million educational things in a day- rather we will be taking a private limo and savoring the atmosphere and culture at our own pace. We may spend some days just walking thorugh small towns- sampling gelato and talking to locals.. And I clearly dont expect my baby to have the same attention span I do! We may play hide and seek while my Dh and 12 YO explore Pompeii.. who knows!?! I completely plan to play to play it by ear. And i am just fine with that. Its what people with children DO. :) Some ports we may just spend a few hours in.. whatever.. it doesnt really matter.

Texan- Your post was so articulate and well said. (As they all are) Thank you. These will be memories I will cherish for a lifetime, God willing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Stroller would probably not be good. Can /will he walk for hours @ a time? That being said I traveled with my son (now 29). Always take WATER, snack, change of clothes (?toilet trained). Discuss the site with him before (great books from Museum of Art in NYC) so it will be an adventure & let him be the guide.

Carole

If you are going to take your young child on a European cruise, you really need to think not only of yourself, but of the child, and the other passengers. Be aware that it's port intensive, the sites are often hours away from the ports driving/train time, take many hours to visit, often with long lines to stand in, lots of heat with little shade, or damp cold with continually wet shoes/socks, depending on the season, and lots of crowds, and most of it very boring for a young child.

Yes there is a lot of personal opinion on this board, but there is a also a lot of personal experience. There is a difference in a baby or toddler crying on the large open beach where they can be taken back to the nice cool air conditioned hotel ( or ship ) to their private space, and a baby or toddler stuck on a hot bus where the air conditioning usually doesn't work for several hours with many other people ...hot, tired, crying, needing the bathroom or a diaper change. The child has no choice but to be there and the passengers have no choice but to be subjected to the childs misery. That's rude and thoughtless, to your child and to the other passengers.

Please consider taking private excursions that you can tailor to your child's needs, take days off to stay on the ship with them and play in the pool, perhaps wait at least until they are old enough for the kids club during some ports, although I personally would have a hard time leaving my child with strangers for that long while I was hours away, or until they are old enough to appreciate the sites. Of course any good parent CAN make the cruise a good experience for the child and the other passengers in relation to their child, but it probably means not getting to do a lot of things the parent would like to do. That's just part of being a parent on any trip though.

Personally I think most small children would have a lot better time somewhere they can do things more to their liking whatever their particular liking is...play in the pool, go to the zoo, wade in a stream, run around a park or children's museum, a wildlife museum, Disneyland, beach, visit relatives ( I have yet to meet a 2 year old who'd prefer spending 8 hours in the heat seeing ruins or museums and sitting in a car/bus than playing in the pool with Mom and Dad or running around with cousins)

Don't just blow off others opinions as "child hating" or "judgemental". Those opinions are based on experiences, try to learn something from them. Perhaps they have a point, even if they didn't state it very diplomatically. Take their experiences into account when planning your trip instead of just being defensive and you'll most likely have a better trip.

Winedown, it sounds as if you have realistic expectations, have planned well and accept the limitations of traveling with a child. I think you'll do fine and both you and your children will have a good time.

Many of us are more responding to the typical posting "How can I take my 1, 2, 3 year old along on my European cruise and still see/do everything I want to?" These posters tend to get upset when anyone says anything "negative", suggests they might be better off waiting until the child is older, or suggests curtailing their fun in any way.

It's true that some people don't think there is any good reason to take a young child on a European cruise, under any circumstances. Often these people have had parts of their trip disrupted or ruined by thoughtless parents. After those experiences it's sometimes hard for to remember that there are good parents who are thoughtful of others.

A lot of people are just trying to share their experiences and give advice to help the parent plan. They want to be sure that parents know what to expect and are aware that there really are difficulties involved that need to be acknowledged and planned for. A lot of posters are just trying to be helpful by sharing their experience.

A lot of parents who come for advice have no idea what to expect on a European cruise and are excited about it so they don't want to hear that it might have difficulties. When people try to tell them the realities of a European cruise that make it hard to do with young children, especially if they suggest postponing the trip a few years and mention that wonderful memories can still be made somewhere other than Europe, somewhere that might be more suitable for a 1 year old and easier on the parents, some parents will call those people child haters or judgmental for posting anything considered "negative".

Most posters are just being realistic and the smart parents take the advice and use it, for some that means postponing the trip or leaving the child home, for others it means taking along help and for many it means curtailing expectations, planning differently ( like shorter private tours instead of ships tours, missing some sites like Florence, etc..) and assuming a lot of flexibility. I think the parents that take the advice and use it, as Winedown appears to be doing, instead of calling names and poo pooing other peoples experience, end up with much better trip.

Archived