Is it time for the airlines to lift the checked bag fees?

Trnkk

It depends whether each airline sees its checked bag fee as a temporary measure to cope with the spike in the cost of fuel (like fuel surcharges) or whether it was intended to be a more fundamental shift in the way of doing business, so that they can continue to advertise ever-lower headline fares and capitalise on the market's chronic inability to work out the total cost of travel.

I highly doubt they will drop those fees. These fees were not fuel surcharges. Some airlines did add fuel surcharges, but they were separate from baggage fees. Air Tran added the fee just as oil was starting to drop and didn't reverse course. It's a new era (that the airlines were looking into long before oil spiked) of offering reasonable fares and then having passengers pay for the services they use (baggage, food, and in some cases drinks).

While I may be in the minority, I prefer this system. I rarely, if ever, check baggage and usually bring my own bottle of water or soda (and snack) onboard. I'd rather have a lower fare and only pay for these services if I choose to use them.

Although baggage costs airlines extra fuel, it costs them more to handle the logistics, damage/loss claims, security, and delays. I prefer the new "a la carte approach". Buy what you need and don't ask people who don't want it to share in the cost. Airlines still have an "all you can eat buffet" in the form of Business or First Class.

Southwest has never charged for the first 2 checked bags. I can't think of any other domestic airlines that do that.

Define "Domestic"... Westjet allow two free bags here in Canada.

However, while WN (Southwest) may give you two free bags, they wont interline (transfer the bags to another airline).

Contrast that with AS (Alaska) who give you one free bag and charge $25 for the 2nd, but DO interline luggage.

Is that 25$ worth it to not have to re-collect bags and re-check them? It all depends what you're looking for, doesn't it.

Define "Domestic".

Westjet allow two free bags here in Canada.

Domestic:

Define domestic airline

domestic airline. An air carrier that provides service within its own country. Also called a domestic carrier.

Crude oil price has gone way down most cruiselines lifted fuel surcharges.

Jet fuel should be down too right? If so shouldn't airlines lift the checked bag fee? Any thoughts?....

Checked oil and gas prices lately?

Crude may be way down but the speculators on the world markets are still playing around with the stocks, driving the price of fuel back up.

Even if jet fuel drops, don't look for the cash-stressed airlines to drop the baggage fees. They recognize a cash cow when they see one.

Cruising is an optional activity; people don't have to cruise.

Unfortunately, flying is not always optional.

Southwest has never charged for the first 2 checked bags. I can't think of any other domestic airlines that do that.

Just because they don't charge for bags does not make them the most cost efficient option. On my most recent trips they were significantly more expensive than the other airlines that also had non-stop flights in the market (US Airways, United, AirTran).

Several of those trips the difference was more than $30 so even if you check one bag they were more expensive (I don't check bags so the bag fees aren't an issue).

Checked oil and gas prices lately?

Crude may be way down but the speculators on the world markets are still playing around with the stocks' date=' driving the price of fuel back up.

Even if jet fuel drops, don't look for the cash-stressed airlines to drop the baggage fees. They recognize a cash cow when they see one.

Cruising is an optional activity; people don't have to cruise.

Unfortunately, flying is not always optional.[/quote']

It will soon be cheaper to by a barrell of crude that a gallon of gas

The only time that baggage fee will disappear is when customers start to complain enough. And they won't. Frankly, we put US Air at the bottom of our list to fly, for many reasons, the fee being one of them. I can't believe that you can't even get a glass of water without paying on US Air.

Personnaly, I think it's all about greed and should be suspended! But as long as the public accepts the practice, it won't change. What a bunch of sheep!

For all of you who don't check bags, you must be the ones coming aboard with that huge "carry-on" which is more dangerous -- or you're a business traveller who get's the FF points with upgrades and packs a toothbrush, if that. I have no problem with charging for over-weight bags or multiple bags, but a charge for checking one piece of luggage, i.e., clothes with you for a trip, is beyond ridiculous! Also I don't think checking two pieces of normal size and weight luggage is too much to ask!

In the meantime, I wait for the first airline to make the move to suspend this ridiculous charge, so I can give them my business. Until then I elect not to fly unless it cannot be avoided--I choose my itinerary and drive to ports to avoid the costs and aggravations of air travel. I remember when air travel was enjoyable, exciting, fun and service oriented, now it's a cattle (sheep?) call where it's only a matter of time before passengers will be changed to use the restroom--because, you know this adds to that extra weight! :eek:

So go on little sheep, keep following.....

Crude oil price has gone way down most cruiselines lifted fuel surcharges.

Jet fuel should be down too right? If so shouldn't airlines lift the checked bag fee? Any thoughts?....

Yes, I do feel they should drop the checked baggage fee. For at least the first one. I'm supportive on the 2nd bag fee, even though I wasn't in the beginning. But the first charge isn't right. That one piece of luggage, to me, should come with the charge of the ticket. But I feel the airlines are ripping us off with those fee's. It's gold mine for them so they won't drop it I'm sure. I would be shocked, yet appreciative if they did.

Personnaly, I think it's all about greed and should be suspended! But as long as the public accepts the practice, it won't change. What a bunch of sheep!

For all of you who don't check bags, you must be the ones coming aboard with that huge "carry-on" which is more dangerous -- or you're a business traveller who get's the FF points with upgrades and packs a toothbrush, if that. I have no problem with charging for over-weight bags or multiple bags, but a charge for checking one piece of luggage, i.e., clothes with you for a trip, is beyond ridiculous! Also I don't think checking two pieces of normal size and weight luggage is too much to ask!

In the meantime, I wait for the first airline to make the move to suspend this ridiculous charge, so I can give them my business. Until then I elect not to fly unless it cannot be avoided--I choose my itinerary and drive to ports to avoid the costs and aggravations of air travel. I remember when air travel was enjoyable, exciting, fun and service oriented, now it's a cattle (sheep?) call where it's only a matter of time before passengers will be changed to use the restroom--because, you know this adds to that extra weight! :eek:

So go on little sheep, keep following.....

I couldn't have said it better myself. A voice of reason........

Archived