Spring Break Dates

I have some friends (ages middle 60's) that are wanting to take a cruise in March for their anniversary. They have never been on a cruise before and I want to advise them correctly. Personally, I don't think they would enjoy being on a cruise during any of the spring break weeks. Can I get some dates from you all of when your local college is taking their spring break.

Our local college, Southern Illinois University, is taking their spring break the week of March 9th.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I have some friends (ages middle 60's) that are wanting to take a cruise in March for their anniversary. They have never been on a cruise before and I want to advise them correctly. Personally, I don't think they would enjoy being on a cruise during any of the spring break weeks. Can I get some dates from you all of when your local college is taking their spring break.

Our local college, Southern Illinois University, is taking their spring break the week of March 9th.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

South Florida is, I think, first week of March.

EDIT: here is a link with sone spring break dates of colleges (scroll further down, it also continues on the next page)

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

spring breaks across the country usually take up most of march and apriil- possibly the week before mar 9 would be good and the last week of april....... my kids spring breaks are mid march and mid april- ( one in high school here and the other in college in michigan....) if that helps

In Palm Beach County spring break is Mar. 30-Apr 3 My DH an I are cruising on 3/1 just to avoid all the Spring breakers...

Interesting theory but looks very busy...

March 2-6, 2009 (Mon-Fri)

College / University

Enrollment

Alverno College

Barry University

Beloit College

Bennett College

Bethune-Cookman College

Bishop's University

Boston College

Bowling Green State University

California University of Pennsylvania

Cambrian College

Clark University

College of Charleston

Duquesne University

Fairfield University

Florida A&M University

Florida Atlantic University

Georgia State University

Grand Valley State University

Greensboro College

Lebanon Valley College

Lehigh University

Loyola College, Maryland

Loyola University, Chicago

Mary Baldwin College

Moore College of Art and Design

North Carolina A&T

North Carolina State University

Pepperdine University

Rice University

Rocky Mountain College

Saint Cloud State University

Saint Francis University

Schoolcraft College

Silver Lake College

Stetson University

Universite du Quebec (Montreal)

University of Evansville

University of Virginia

Valparaiso University

Villanova University

Virginia Western Community College

Western Carolina University

Western Michigan University

Wingate University

Xavier University

TOTAL

Typically you will find spring breaks from the first week in March to about the 3rd week in April. Another week to avoid is the 3rd week in February.

If they want to sail during March and want to avoid large amounts of kids, they need to look for longer itineraries (10+ nights or more) or itineraries out of ports that require long flights. San Juan typically gets less spring breakers than sailings out of Florida for example because people assume the flights will be more expensive expensive.

If you pick a cruiseline and itinerary that is not known for partying or a large number of young people then there are likely to be less "spring breakers".

Personally we have sailed with our children (pre-teen and teenager) through the Panama Canal at spring break on Celebrity and there were only 50 kids on the ship and no partying college students.

This thread is also helping me. I posted one the other day about cruising on JOS March 2010 and was concerned about Spring Breakers. This is a 10-day cruise at the very end of March but does encompass Easter (disembarkation day). I decided we will keep it and not change dates.

Anytime in March is going to be bad, IMHO. College spring breaks run through the whole month. My DD's break at Central Michigan University is March 9th-13th.

Since you say they're definitely cruising in March, their best bet would be to go with a longer cruise ( 7+ days ). The Spring Breaker's tend to stick to the shorter cruises and the less expensive one's too. They are, after all, mostly students with limited funds.

Tim

Tim:

Two words for your friends:

"HOLLAND AMERICA"

As other posters have mentioned, the entire month of March is questionable. You might want to use an indirect method: Using the RCI web site 'search' function, ask for 5 day cruises in March, 2009, and don't specify anything else. Check the results to see what has sales and what does not. The ones with sales are less popular - potentially good for your folks. Try the same search for 6 day and 7 day.

As an example, DW and I are on 6 day IOS March 15. Same cruise runs two other dates in March. Our date has no sales (basically sold out) while the other dates have some good rates.

This doesn't say anything about kids - but does address crowds.

Archived