Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour

Lawingnutz

Can anyone tell me about their experience on the Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour? Interested in how much walking is required on this tour?

We are scheduled for the Natural History Tour but are thinking about changing to the Tundra Tour. Traveling on Princess tour and staying at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge.

We've booked through Princess too. From reading on this board and calling the Lodge I learned that there will be a pick up at the lodge for the Tundra tour, but you need to schedule this as they fill up fast. If you book the TWT through Princess they will give you a credit for the cost of the NHT. The Princess rep told me she stayed at the lodge last year and it is about a mile and a half from the lodge to the entrance to Denali and on easy walking surface. I was concerned how we would get to Denali from the lodge and was glad to know we can walk over if necessary.

They will pick you up at the lodge. The tour busses depart every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour, so the key is to get on a tour that is scheduled to depart from your lodge. There isn't much walking involved on the Tundra tour, but LOTS of sitting, it's a long tour. They will provide a box lunch, but if you're a hearty eater, I would recommend bringing some snacks (there is a Subway sandwich store right across the street from the Princess Lodge).

I've done both tours, and definitely prefer the Tundra tour over the Natural History Tour, as it goes further into the park, allowing for better wildlife sightings, and on a clear day, it's hard to beat the Stony Hill outlook for a view of the mountain. But if 8 hours on a school bus doesn't sound like your idea of a great day, then the Natural History tour is still a great option.

No walking as you will be on a school bus. The best observation side is the left side of the bus. Excellent for observing wildlife, but if you've been in our National Parks such as Yellowstone or Yosemite, the scenery may be a little underwhelming (it is tundra:). The entire trip is about 8-9 hours. Would I do it again? probably not unless it was for free.

We are also on a Princess landtour and I have switched from the NHT to the TWT due to the bad press I'm hearing on this board about the NHT. The young lady I talked to told me that pick up is right next door to the Princess lodge at the McKinley Chalets- not at the lodge itself. They only pick up at the lodge if you book the lodge independently or are slated to do a TWT thru the cruise line

Excellent for observing wildlife, but if you've been in our National Parks such as Yellowstone or Yosemite, the scenery may be a little underwhelming (it is tundra:). The entire trip is about 8-9 hours. Would I do it again? probably not unless it was for free.

WOW - did you go on a day with thick fog? I've traveled quite extensively all over the world (including Yellowstone and Yosemite) but still go on the Denali bus trips at least once a year (perhaps 30 times so far). Not many places I've been get me shots like http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/images/polychrome_pass-5316.html or the hundreds of grizzly close-ups I have.

I have also been on this tour, but we could only go half way up as it started snowing. This was in the end of May. Anyways, because of the snow, they gave 1/2 our money back and what the heck, I bought some earings instead with the left over money. So now you know it is possible for it to snow in the early season.

We are also on a Princess landtour and I have switched from the NHT to the TWT due to the bad press I'm hearing on this board about the NHT. The young lady I talked to told me that pick up is right next door to the Princess lodge at the McKinley Chalets- not at the lodge itself. They only pick up at the lodge if you book the lodge independently or are slated to do a TWT thru the cruise line

How did you switch from the NHT to the TWT? I called Princess & they told me I'd have to check at the lodge once we got there. She said there was a limited number of tickets available, so there was the chance that they'd be gone by the time we got there. After reading the difference between going 14 miles into the park or 83 - 100 miles into the park, I really would like to do the TWT, so much that I am considering a different tour package altogether that does include the TWT.

How did you switch from the NHT to the TWT? I called Princess & they told me I'd have to check at the lodge once we got there. She said there was a limited number of tickets available, so there was the chance that they'd be gone by the time we got there. After reading the difference between going 14 miles into the park or 83 - 100 miles into the park, I really would like to do the TWT, so much that I am considering a different tour package altogether that does include the TWT.

Also consider just ditching the NHT and taking a shuttle bus on your own - forget Princess.

Natural History goes 17 miles into the Park. TWT posts as going to at least mile 53. WOnder Lake shuttle goes to mile 85.

WOW - did you go on a day with thick fog? I've traveled quite extensively all over the world (including Yellowstone and Yosemite) but still go on the Denali bus trips at least once a year (perhaps 30 times so far). Not many places I've been get me shots like http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/images/polychrome_pass-5316.html or the hundreds of grizzly close-ups I have.

Weather can have an effect on your total experience. We went on a cold, raw, rainy day in late June. I, too, found the overall scenery to be disappointing after visiting many other National Parks in the US and Canada. It is definitely not our favorite park. When I did view someone's photos who went on a bright sunny day, I have to say it looked like a different place. Even though Denali is not our favorite park, we would definitely go again if we are able to head back to Alaska and we would go on the shuttle again. It is still a very unique and exciting place to visit IF you enjoy vast wilderness and wildlife in their natural habitats, which we do. I just wish we had been able to go out on the first shuttle of the day. At least in one direction, we would not have had to deal with all the buses on the route. I think it would have had a more remote feeling being on the first bus out. I was sick and just couldn't deal with the thought of getting up at 4:00 a.m. Next time I will ;)

My tour last year had the NHT and I wanted to take the Tundra Wilderness. My TA called Princess with me on the line and cancelled the NHT. Then I called the resort and booked the TWT myself. When we got to the Princess Lodge they had sent our tickets over to the main lodge. The bus picked us up in front of the main lodge.

The tour was wonderful, and I would (WILL) take it again some day.

Chris - while I was on the phone booking the cruise tour with Princess, I told them that I wanted to upgrade to the TWT and did not want the NHT. She put me on hold and then came back and said that it would be additional $60 per person to upgrade to the TWT. My booking confirmation shows that we are booked for the TWT and does not show the NHT at all.

we just swiched from NHT to TWT upgrade $10 per person. Maybe cause it is May the price was lower?

Got a 6:30 time slot. Guess that makes more time to do other stuff later in the day.

The reason the price was lower is that you are very probably on the Teklanika Wilderness Tour, that goes 30 miles into the park. The actual TWT to Toklat doesn't start until May 20th. The Tek tour is certainly worthwhile early in the season and still much better than the NHT.

Upgrading from the NHT to the TWT was significantly more expensive. Well I should say it wasn't really an upgrade, because our TA cancelled the NHT- we did get a refund for the tour, then I booked the other one myself. Decided to to do the tour instead of the shuttle only because we are a little close on time and wanted to end up as close to the lodge as possible. The shuttle would have meant a mile and half walk which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem, but we will have to board the bus to the train right afterwards. The shuttle is much less expensive. The tour (TWT) was about $150 pp, but with $60 back from the NHT it wasn't as bad.

Um, embarrassing question, but my Dad, being older, needs to use the restroom frequently. Do they offer many restroom stops on the Tundra Wilderness Tour? We are booked on that with HAL.

They stop for restroom breaks about every 90 minutes. It was no problem for me and I need to go often!:p (I know, too much information!)

Archived