Captain's Table Question (No, not THAT question)

Atty

Ok so there is always that one big table in the middle of the MDR with the Crown and Anchor on it which I assume is the "Captain's Table." My questions are:

1. How often is the table actually used and by whom because I know the Captain isn't in there every night

2. When the Captain does dine at his/her table, is it during the early seating?

It is only used when the Captain is there (or the staff captain). It depends on the captain, he may never go or he may go a few times per cruise. Strictly Captain's priviledge. When I was there (w/ the Staff Captain) we ate at 8:00. Neither early or late, but when he wanted to eat. After all he is in charge.

The captain's table remains empty unless the captain is dining at it. I've never seen it occupied in 6 RCCL cruises but we have had early seating on all but one of those cruises and I don't always look.

My guess is the captain eats late. ;)

I always go on early seating and I've never even seen where the captain's table is, let alone someone eating at it.

I've never really looked either but you'd think the captain would stand out a little.

The captain's tabe is the LARGE one in the middle of the dining room. When not being used it has a large crown & anchor on the center of it.

I too believe that the captain eats at late sitting as we always book early dinner and have only seen him when we were on the Sovereign of The Seas (late sitting)

The captain's table remains empty unless the captain is dining at it.

It will vary by captain. Sometimes, the staff captain or other officers will head the table. It's rare but does happen.

As for the OP's other question, it again depends on the Captain. IME, it's either been late seating or in between the early and late seating.

On the Liberty last week, the Captain's Table was only occupied on the first formal night and then remained empty throughout the week.

Our tablemates ate at the Windjammer cafe on the second night (Labadee) around 9:00-ish and saw the Captain and some of his crew in there.

Ok so there is always that one big table in the middle of the MDR with the Crown and Anchor on it which I assume is the "Captain's Table." My questions are:

1. How often is the table actually used and by whom because I know the Captain isn't in there every night

2. When the Captain does dine at his/her table, is it during the early seating?

Usually the Staff captain or some other high ranking officer will entertain 8 or 10 guest for dinner once or twice a week.

I have been at the captains table about 3 or 4 times and although it is mostly late seating we have had it at early also. When the table is used twice during the week (7-day cruise) it will maybe once for each seating.

In June 2008 we were on Rhapsody of the Seas in Alaska. We sat at the table next to the captains table. We had early seating. The table was empty except on the 2nd formal night the captain and a couple of officers and 4 guests were at the table. It seemed to be a really special affair for the guests. It was fun for us being at the next table.

I always go on early seating and I've never even seen where the captain's table is, let alone someone eating at it.

I've never really looked either but you'd think the captain would stand out a little.

Not only have you apparently "never really looked" but you must have been wearing blinders not to have noticed the captain's table. :D Or maybe you've always been stuck at a table in a remote corner??? :o It's kind of hard to miss. ;)

I've always noticed it, just never seen it occupied in 39 days at sea.

Usually the Staff captain or some other high ranking officer will entertain 8 or 10 guest for dinner once or twice a week.

I have been at the captains table about 3 or 4 times and although it is mostly late seating we have had it at early also. When the table is used twice during the week (7-day cruise) it will maybe once for each seating.

were you served the same meal as the rest of the dining room? what kind of wines did he have? how was the conversation?

We ate with the Captain at an early seating. It was the same menu but a dessert he picked and wine he said he had picked. He did not drink any wine.

It is a large table and difficult to talk to those other than the ones near by you. It was pleasant though.

At the end of the dinner we got a free photo of our group at the table and our dinner menu signed by the Captain.

The table was used for both early and late and some head officers and guests were there instead of the Captain one night.

As others have mentioned, the Captain uses or allows the use of his/her table at their discretion.

When dining with the Captain.......it is normally late seating. On rare occasions it's main seating. One one occasion.....it was held in between seatings.

Others that are allowed to use his table.....that I'm aware of, are the Staff Captain, and the Hotel Director.

The menu is always......at least when I have dined with a Captain, different from the normal menu. The dinner is something that the Captain (or other officers) and the Executive Chef have worked out.

The wines are selected by the Captain or the Maitre'd.

Seating at the Captains table is at the discretion of the Captain, and everyone has a place card of where they are to be seated. Before the meal starts.......there a picture taken.......which will normally be handed out to all of the participants of the table before everyone says their good nights to the Captain.

The Captain will normally sign the menu's, so the mementos of the evening include the picture and the menu.

Sometimes the Captain will invite the dinner guests to be his guest on the bridge at a future date.

The Captain will also invite people for intimate dining in Chops, Portifino's or even the Windjammer.

We have always felt that is an honor to be invited to join the Captain for an interesting evening of conversation.

Rick

Captain picks decent wine...he, his wife, and the younger lady to my left when we dined at that table were the only ones not drinking wine. In fact the lil lady had a special drink prepared for her.

Agree the menu was different and was very good. A copy of the menu was also given with the picture as a memory of the ocassion. I actually looked at the picture just the other night.

Archived